Which is your least liked vegetable?

menthe

OK, so the topic doesn't fill you with enthusiasm.  But, NO new topic for several days so here is one that should be non controversial and nobody is excluded from putting in their tuppence worth!

Mine has to be aubergine which is on an equal footing with kale.

How do you make either of those tasty?

And don't mention ratatouille because I have lots more interesting things to do with onions, tomatoes and peppers than making that.

As for kale, there are literally dozens more tastier green vegetables than that!

Over to you...and do try to put some sort of life into the forum, svp...

• Like 1

Did you know that jerusalem artichokes are the roots of a type of sunflower. The English name s a corruption of the Italian name "girasole"

They are not very exciting to eat, but taste better parboiled and fried. The French seem to associate them with poverty and wartime, along with parsnips, other cheap root vegetables, and chestnut flour.

You can make an acceptable briam without peppers. Just use a few whole cherry tomatoes instead.

55 minutes ago, anotherbanana said:

raratouille is just tasteless hunks of veggies, often the leftovers from the bottom of the fridge!

Let’s add favourites; squashes for me.

Aldi ratatouille in a can is excellent - nice crunchy, slightly undercooked veggies in a tasty sauce.

The ubiquitous courgette................Only way I ever enjoyed one was burnt to death on a plancha - it could have been anything really, but I did see a slice or two go on the plancha. Tried many recipes since and courgettes are a filler/carrier of proper flavours😉

I will eat most veg, if I have to, but there are several I would prefer not to .. artichokes, squashes (OK in soups), the rest I can like, depending on how cooked.  The French overcook most veg (and undercook most meat!) I find. I buy few veg as OH won't eat enough of them to keep a mouse alive, so I buy my preferences, and don't bother with the rest. Ratatouile is alwysy over cooked as are most veg, I prefer the individual vegetables raw, courgettes I prefer raw to cooked, same problem with lots of the fruits as well.

3 hours ago, DaveLister said:

Jerusalem artichokes taste like vomit to me. I've never tried ratatouille as I'm allergic to peppers.

I agree about Jerusalem artichokes but peppers I adore and add them to lots of cooked dishes and to salads in the summer.

3 hours ago, Loiseau said:

Beetroot. Oh, and yes, kale.

I like beetroot but I must confess I have only started to like them since I read that they are good at lowering high blood pressure.

Topinambour!  How could I forget!  Yes, that's my least liked.  Compared to them aubergines and kale taste positively yummy!

Oops, sorry, DL had already named them.  Topinambour IS jerusalem artichoke!  I got what he said mixed up with celeriac which I also do not like.

2 hours ago, Le martin-pêcheur said:

The ubiquitous courgette

Me too. Along with its fruit vegetable lookalike - Cucumber. 🤬

I can feast on cauliflower florrets (with white sauce and cheese topping) but I only indulge in broccoli stems.

2 hours ago, menthe said:

peppers I adore

Moi aussi, unfortunately the feelings not mutual. I'll cook with them but have to fish them out before eating. Luckily I don't have the same problem with Chilies.

That has produced more posts than anything this year!

I have tried hard to remember any vegetable that I dislike but have only come up with green lentils and my mother’s version of spinach because she boiled it forever into a green slime. My wife has cured me by either lightly cooking the leaves or raw in salads.

I really like topinambour, but the resulting gas could fell a small army in the next village for around 2 days!  I love aubergines though, grilled with olive oil and garlic, or made into aubergine caviar, yum. And celeriac is another favourite, so I must be Mint's evil, opposing twin.

3 minutes ago, betise said:

I really like topinambour, but the resulting gas could fell a small army in the next village for around 2 days!

I have to agree.  I love the taste, but can't deal with the resulting gas...

Forgot also about those fat white asperagus; simply not for me but I really like the green ones.

When I am in a Grand Frais, I see plantains and wonder what they taste like.  I know you fry them but does anyone have any tips about how to buy them?  I mean do they have to be ripe or do you buy them before they are ripe.

Are they sweet like bananas?  I have had banana fritters and they are lovely if a bit greasy.

Artichoke, waste of time cooking and just an excuse to eat butter.

Did not think much of Ratatouille till we found the tinned version by Cassegrain.  More expensive than some but worth it imo.

Oh Lehaut !  Fresh steamed artichokes are one of our favorites.  And we don't use butter, just steam them with some slices of fresh lemon tucked into the leaves and a touch of salt and pepper when eating.  And when you reach that exceptional heart, what a reward.  🙂

I love fresh kale also, raw in a salad or cooked.  It is just very hard to find round here.

As to plantains; I've tried frying them and adding a touch of salt afterwards.  They were okay.  Not really sweet.  I bought them firm.  Not sure if that was correct, but I can't imagine they would fry and stay solid if they were soft like a banana. We are not really fans of frying foods and the plantains were not tasty enough (to us) to make a second time.

And we love celeriac steamed and beetroot and I buy tons of fresh spinach when it is in season.  We enjoy pureed cauliflower and also the florets sauteed in a bit of olive oil with a bunch of fresh mint added.

I think we must be easy to please when it comes to vegetables..