time for new words to dislike ...

menthe

It's about the time of year when they tell us what is the latest buzz word to add to dictionaries.  Mostly these are words I have never used because, living in the depths of the French countryside, where would I come across these latest social media fashionable words?

Nevermind words, my neighbours are still wearing woolies made by their grandmothers!  So fashion in anything is practically non existent.

So what I suggest is a word you don't like and will never use.  In order to enable everyone to have a chance of telling us their least favourite word, I am limiting everyone to er....just the one word.  If you have at least half a dozen candidates, I respectfully suggest that you just choose the one you dislike the most, OK?

I'll kick off with "gift" used as a verb as in I will gift my husband a new phone for Christmas.  Actually, I won't, I will merely GIVE it to him. 

Seems a term commonly used in the UK, maybe also by some here, who apparently see nothing odd about it.

"There are question marks hanging over ...."  in place of "There are doubts about ...... " or "I am not sure about ....."

Edited by ssomon

2 hours ago, Le martin-pêcheur said:

We wish people, particularly UK TV presenters, etc would STOP saying "Amazing"!!!!!!!!!!! It is infuriating their lack of vocabulary!! 

I thought their favourite word was "absolutely".  Now I can't say absolutely even when I can't find an equivalent word!

17 hours ago, Loiseau said:

"Fur babies". Yuk.  Oh sorry, I mean "furbabies", if I am to keep to the rules, menthe!

Yuck!  THAT is seriously nasty, Loiseau.  Did you use that word to the people at the train strike a few days ago when you were waiting to come over to France?  No wonder they gave in and started running the trains again the following day.

Are you now in the PdC?  Joyeux Noël to you and the Wooly Wonder and less said about the er....fur-thingy the better!

25 minutes ago, menthe said:

Yuck!  THAT is seriously nasty, Loiseau.  Did you use that word to the people at the train strike a few days ago when you were waiting to come over to France?  No wonder they gave in and started running the trains again the following day.

Are you now in the PdC?  Joyeux Noël to you and the Wooly Wonder and less said about the er....fur-thingy the better!

I was surprised there were many, many pets travelling, firstly milling about at the Shuttle terminal, and later strolling about with their owners on my late-night ferry. But they were all very lovely, sensible-looking dogs, and I am sure would never have allowed themselves to be referred to by that teeth-clenching expression.

All good in the damp PdC; just discussing how best to fit the duck in the four.

A very merry one to you and yours, dear Menthe.

"Hack"

The word hack has numerous meanings and connotations from :-

1. Cut with rough or heavy blows.

2. A writer or journalist producing dull, unoriginal work.

3. A cab

4. A horse for ordinary riding.

5. To tolerate or cope with a situation

6. To cough

7. To gain illegal access to a computer network, system etc

8. Restriction to quarters as punishment for naval officers

9. A guard or warder at a prison

10. To kick at an opponent's shins in Rugby football.

Now the internet influencers :classic_unsure: have garnered the word for the purpose of "to proffer advice"

No! Enough already! It's called a "tip" which, by the way, also has numerous meanings. They'll be all over that soon.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Gardian said:

Celebrity - as in so many TV programmes feature so-called ‘celebrities’ who I’ve never heard of.

It’s just me I suppose. 

I think they are what used to be called "personalities".

None of them make me feel like celebrating anything.

• 3 weeks later...