Do you like sprouts yes / no

Pads

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Dick Smith"]You have to have them on Christmas day, or else you don't have any to put in the bubble & squeak on Boxing Day, with the cold meat and pickles! Best meal of the year.
[/quote]

Oh yes Dick Yummy hav'nt had bubble and squeak for years, It is going to be on the menus this boxing day thanks for the memory...................... 

Have to go with Opas.  Love them, but stomach doesn't.  I prepare them boiled, al-dente, then baked with a cream sauce and fresh bread crumbs sprinkled on top at the last five minutes of baking.  Tastes great, but I don't like to eat them when others are about.

H A T E    H A T E  ...

Brussels sprouts. They are probably the only vegetable I don't like and (surprise[+o(]) I hate them with a passion.

Edit:

Turnips and swedes are also pointless additions to any plate though I will tolerate roast parsnips. I reserve projectile vomiting for sprouts.

[quote user="andyh4"]Sprouts, lightly cooked and served with lardons and chestnuts - that is what Christmas is all about.[/quote]

Mmm, nah, don't think so Andy

You forgot about being forced to go down the pub in your new jumper/shirt/trousers etc puffing the only cigar of the year and having a large whisky that you never drink all year. Now that's Xmas...............oh and Kempton on Boxing Day [:)]

[quote user="catalpa"]H A T E    H A T E  ...

Brussels sprouts. They are probably the only vegetable I don't like and (surprise[+o(]) I hate them with a passion.

Edit:
Turnips and swedes are also pointless additions to any plate though I will tolerate roast parsnips. I reserve projectile vomiting for sprouts.
[/quote]

With you all the way on the first part, even ignoring the flatulant effect on me if I ever manage to choke 'em down

BUT swede with lots of butter and black pepper and parsnips! food of the Gods

They've never seen/heard of a parsnip here in Luxembourg [:(]

[quote user="Cerise"]Lte's have the recipe then Suze - Mr Cerise loves sprouts.  Wish he wouldn't insist on calling them 'budgie [+o(]heads'[/quote]

Brussel Sprout Bhagee

Enough sprouts for 4 cut in half (you can use fresh par boiled until barely cooked or leftovers)

2oz of ghee or oil

1 tsp 5 spice mix (equal quantities of whole cumin, mustard seeds, black onion seeds, fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds - good with loads of recipes)

1 bay leaf

1" cinnalon stick

1 tsp chilli powder

1 1/2 tsp ground coriander

1/4 tsp turmuric

1 tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

4 cloves, ground

juice of 1 lemon

Heat the oil , add the 5 spice mix, bay leaf and cinnamon and stir fry for a minute.  Add the sprouts and ground spices, the salt and a tablespoon of water and blend well together. Cover and cook stirring occasionally for 2 minutes (if it starts to catch on the pan add a little more water).  Add the sugar and ground cloves, cook for a futher minute.  Stir in the lemon juice and serve (this is not a 'formed' bhagee like an onion bhagee BTW).

Great as an Indian side dish but equally good for as part of a boxing day feast or with chops and rice. You could also do it with other veg, it would be nice with potatoes and sprouts as an alternative to traditional bubble and squeek.

Christmas isn't Christmas without Brussels Sprouts and roast parsnips.  Our Champion store even had some parsnips for sale a couple of weeks ago in a "Foire aux anciens legumes"  Not sure how old they were but they're not going to last til Christmas.  Aren't you all terribly polite; can't say that BS's have any adverse effect on my stomach, it's more my bottom! [:$]  Oh dear, perhaps a little too much information [+o(]

As a child I would squabble with my sisters as to whose turn it was to chuck our sprouts down the toilet or hide them in the plant pot until it was safe to dump them in the bin.  There were 4 of us so we couldn't all do it at the same time or someone would notice.

I never cook them myself - but I  will eat them if they are disguised and cooked in a way that they no longer resemble or taste like sprouts!

[quote user="Suze"][quote user="Cerise"]Lte's have the recipe then Suze - Mr Cerise loves sprouts.  Wish he wouldn't insist on calling them 'budgie [+o(]heads'[/quote]

Brussel Sprout Bhagee

Enough sprouts for 4 cut in half (you can use fresh par boiled until barely cooked or leftovers)
2oz of ghee or oil
1 tsp 5 spice mix (equal quantities of whole cumin, mustard seeds, black onion seeds, fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds - good with loads of recipes)
1 bay leaf
1" cinnalon stick
1 tsp chilli powder
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp turmuric
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
4 cloves, ground
juice of 1 lemon
[/quote]

Sounds good to me, particularly the Singalong stick.  I shall cook this whilst playing my Des O'Connor Christmas records.  If you add a couple of shots of Scotch to the recipe everybody can join in and Singalong a Sprout[:D]

[quote user="Weedon"]

Sounds good to me, particularly the Singalong stick.  I shall cook this whilst playing my Des O'Connor Christmas records.  If you add a couple of shots of Scotch to the recipe everybody can join in and Singalong a Sprout[:D]

[/quote]

[img]http://bestsmileys.com/lol/5.gif[/img]

• 2 weeks later...

I adore those little green globes. Mind you some of the ones you find here are the size of small cabbages!! We alos tried to grow our own - without success. My mother in law cooks them in a pressure cooker for about four hours and they are unrecognisable when she has finished with them - although the smell isn't! I prefer them cooked in the steamer - mmmmm GORGEEEOOOUUUSSS!!! There seem to be lot of recipes about on the coookery programmes for sprouts cooked with bacon and chesnuts. Might try it this year - mind you I don't  think I will be giving any to the  seven month old grandson - I can still remember what they did to his mum when I ate them and was still breastfeeding her yeh many years ago!!!! (Not pleasant!!)

I still say the only way to eat them is in bubble & squeak, though my mother always used to insist on using sprouts 'touched by frost' (not sure what she meant - my father used to be sent to get them from the garden) and cook them lightly so that they tasted nutty. I only ever cook them at Christmas, I'm afraid, and that out of duty.

Our youngest daughter, now with family of two boys, was "persuaded" with her brother and sister ( ie 'forced') to eat sprouts at Christmas dinner.

Last year she went out and bought  .....4.....sprouts and the whole family forced themselves to eat them, because she considered it to be a "family tradition", now how sad is that????????  [:(]

[quote user="Meg and Mog"]Well i don't normally like them but always eat one just to be festive!!!!

This year i've grown my own so i'll be eating a shed load and pretending i love 'em!!

[/quote]

I take it back....mine are not too bad at all! I managed at least 5 the other day!!