A quandry

I am having a few days away at the moment but watching to see if my house floods and relying on my neighbours to tell me. But here is the quandary; should I rush home now and watch the flood waters, unable to significantly stop any serious water ingress or finish my holiday first? The first sounds attractive but might achieve little, the second rather laid back. Whichever way, if water gets in, the place will be a mess!

Thus far there is the usual mud layer on the front garden but it does not seem to have got to the front door; Bobo knows what has happened to the bouanderie which is sous le sol!🤬

My instinct would be to stay where you are. You've no idea what the roads are like on either side of the Channel. Meteo France still has a red warning for the PdC and one poor soul has lost his life in the UK.

Things can be replaced.

3 hours ago, anotherbanana said:

Whichever way, if water gets in, the place will be a mess!

Watch out for the 5 day delay in reporting any damage to your insurance company, if they want to play dirty.

Lehaut, can you please clarify if this 5-day delay is universal to all house insurance policies or just in particular cases with particular companies?

Would be useful information in case of future problems.

Wools, your quandary about your buanderie would depend on you and how you feel about any potential mess.  Some people are quite laid back about things and "stuff".  Me?  I'd be rushing about, hand wringing and trying to get home tout de suite.

A couple of years ago, I was on holiday with a some French friends.  On the second day of the holiday, there was a freak storm where we lived.  Once people had rung neighbours, family, the dog sitter, etc, they all booked out and rushed off home in their cars.

The 5 days is the minimum that insurance companies are allowed to stipulate in their policies ( for theft it's two days ). Some have longer. Regarding refusing a late claim, the insurance company has to be able to prove that the insured has 'caused them harm' by the delay i.e. deliberately leaving the claim long enough to prevent an assessor from making an accurate report. Most websites on the subject I've read say that under normal circumstances the 5 days begins as soon as the insured becomes aware there is a problem. This one appears to be the most definitive.

https://www.village-justice.com/articles/declaration-tardive-sinistre-comment-vous-opposer-votre-assureur,43074.html

I think, being the other side of the Channel at the time, Mr Banana won't have any problems. If he does, it's time to consider changing insurers.

Wools, I see that the PdC is on vigilance rouge again.  Are you back in your house and are you and buandary ok?

Did M. Attal visit you yesterday when he was in your neck of the woods and help you clear up the mess in the buandarie?

Yes, I do believe that the vigilance is for snow and ice because I saw there was a lot of snow expected.  Even here in the Dordogne, we had a vigilance jaune for this.

The forecast is also for dry weather and a rise in temperature.

Have a safe journey, Wools.  Can't have you skiving off like that and leaving poor old DL to do all the work and take all the flak, can we?

Does anyone know how to get rid of those annoying Meteo France weather alerts?

I think I opted into them on my iphone back in November, during the flooding of the wooly one's village, and now they keep on and on appearing - still bleating about excessive rainfall, when I imagine the danger is more one of heavy frost. And I should just like them to stop.  I have tried digging into the Meteo France website, but haven't yet found any way to turn them off.

Those of us who use MF may have noticed recently as I have. the disjointed and slightly odd forecasts of temperatures. Examples include the 7 day forecast not matching the daily forecast and the 15 day not agreeing with thre 7 day forecast.

There could be a reason for this:-

“Staff at Météo-France will go on strike this week, claiming ‘absurd mistakes’ are being accelerated by loss of human oversight”

“Since Nov 13, weather forecast data models have been crunched together via an algorithm and then directly sent to Météo-France’s internet site or mobile application.

The software that has led to the strike has predicted that the eastern city of Strasbourg will hit a baking 28C on Dec 9 despite it currently experiencing freezing temperatures”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/12/04/algorithm-replaced-weather-forecasters-december-heatwave/

Before the time of storm Ciaran I started using ventusky.com and have found it very accurate as regards local actual and forecast  temperature.

You get temps, winds direction/strength, baro pressures for your location and loads more.

Meteo is basically not worth using a the moment.

• Thanks 2

Meteo France is certainly not fit for purpose. They forecast by looking out the window in Paris.

Thursday evening google said on Oh’s phone that there was a 70% chance of snow during the night. I checked the meteo on TV and MF online and there was not a cloud to be seen on their charts. So we concluded it was rubbish.

Next morning I got up early and sure enough it had snowed. Well done MF.

So yeah, if want to know the wether forecast, ask google. 

Dont trust MF.