Charlie's bad day!

Deby

So Charles and Camilla are not have a good time of it with regards their wedding plans - all the media intrusion/faux-pas/legal hassles and now it clashes with the Pope's funeral.

I wonder if there has been some kind of Divine Intervention.

Diana RIP.

Deby

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even more distressing (I don't think), Camilla will become the new Duchess of Rothesay, which used to be Diana's title, and the people of Rothesay remember the day in 1397 when Diana visited Rothesay for a local tossing event, and 6000 people came.  Although they can't stop Cammie becoming D of R, the local council have voted that they will NOT be offering her an invitation to visit.

Bet she's gutted!!!!! 

[quote]Even more distressing (I don't think), Camilla will become the new Duchess of Rothesay, which used to be Diana's title, and the people of Rothesay remember the day in 1397 when Diana visited Rothesay ...[/quote]

Life and weddings are for the living. Sorry but to me the two words Diana and Tossing are suited.

I wish Charles and Camilla all the best and hope that they have some good times ahead. People can be as small minded as they like but if the whole of the UK keeps looking backwards to what was NOT in any sense a golden age with a wonderful angel at its head then it goes to prove that you can fool all the people all the time.

How many of those that make all the horrible comments are squeaky clean? Time to give it a rest and let them get on with their lives. The Queen will go on till she is over a hundred and by then hopefully the whole discussion of who succeeds will be over with as she will be the last.

Trust my luck,

Sorted out the flights and everything for the forthcoming hooley at Windsor and now it clashes with the Pope's funeral and so I will miss the vol au vents, cheese and pineapple on sticks with dry Pomagne at the Camilla and Lugoles bash.

Blast it, just have to wait until William ties the knot I guess !

WHAT...........

Absolutely no competition at all Hoddy. (Same for you I reckon !)

As they come to the first and all over safely, it's Miki's horse in front..........now all its gotta do, is stay there for another 29 fences !!

I just cannot leave Joe53's comments and say nothing. I have tried and  already deleted a post about this.

I disagree completely with the comments made. 

I think that this funeral is overblown...... the media and journalists with vatican aid have made this into a spectacle. When I turn my tv on,  all I want is a little proper news and not have this thrust upon me. I have nothing to say about Karol Jozef Wojtyla, his reign was long.  My wishes and hopes are for the future and that the new man will address real problems concerning AIDS and overpopulation and poverty and women's rights and that will be news.

That Charles postponed, well more fool him.

TU using the right of response as a non believer.  

[quote]I just cannot leave Joe53's comments and say nothing. I have tried and already deleted a post about this. I disagree completely with the comments made. I think that this funeral is overblown........[/quote]

I do agree with you and I am a Catholic!

[quote]Excellent reply TU...just be prepared for the flack....make sure the "subscribe" is not ticked or your "in-box" could fill up quickly![/quote]

Is that speaking as someone who knows about these matters Boggie !!

Can't put on winks, giggles, laughs or anything with flipping Mozilla ! So make it a "wink" I think !

Ermm. I think it's important to remember that (believer or not) the pope was a world leader and more importantly, his followers were not expected to do as he said because they lived in his "country". They followed him because they chose to believe that he was the spokesman for a higher authority, but the fact is they chose to follow him. As such, his death is very important to an awful lot of people. Whether it is worthy of the media circus? Well, to be honest, what is? The media is all about hyping unimportant things, so when something comes along which is of importance to a lot of people I suppose they (we, better declare an interest) are bound to go over the top.

As for Charles and Camilla moving the wedding. Again, like it or not, agree with the monarchy or not, as well as having to invite all the extended family instead of the friends he really wants (as per us ordinary folk), he is expected to invite world leaders. Those same people who are expected at the death of a World Leader. So, really he had no option than to postpone the wedding.

What I really find amusing is that ITV had hoped to play a spoiler by with the Coronation St wedding on the same day. This really has ******** their plans.

[quote]Is that speaking as someone who knows about these matters Boggie !! Can't put on winks, giggles, laughs or anything with flipping Mozilla ! So make it a "wink" I think ![/quote]

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh....won't be able to sleep tonight thinking about that!

Hey Miki....do you still have to use IE for updates to XP?

I agree it is funny about Coronation Streets plans being foiled.

The rest, well as a complete outsider, I don't go much on unelected world leaders in these days when democracy is the name of the game.

When Dubya realises that it isn't a proper democratic election I wonder if he will invade the vatican....... now there is a thought.

Don't waste your pity on ITV or the loving couple who will promise to "love honour and obey"?   What about Wun Hung Lo the Chinese souvenir importer who is stuck with all that tat with the wrong dates on them and Trev and Trace who had their spot at the Registry Office on Saturday nicked!!!

weedon

I originally started this post with the word "arguably" but I'm not actually arguing, I find it an interesting concept and am pursuing the thought for a while (but I am not passionate about the outcome). The thought has occurred to me, that perhaps the position of the Pope is more democratic than any other World Leader. He, far more than any other leader, can only rule by consent and his followers can elect whether to obey/listen to him on almost a daily basis. OK. You can argue that the followers live in fear that if they don't do as he says they will go to hell, but they still do have a choice about whether to believe that or not?

>>Don't waste your pity on ITV or the loving couple who will promise to "love honour and obey"? What about Wun Hung Lo the Chinese souvenir importer who is stuck with all that tat with the wrong dates <<<

They are the ones to put in the attic !

I think the interesting questions regarding the Pope are to do with the state in which the RC church is left. If they continue to make the role for a lifetime they may eventually face the spectre of a very sick or mentally incapacitated Pope alive for many years. What happens if the Pope gets Alzheimer's ?

And that is without the issues of the protection the church seems to give to priests and nuns who have committed crimes or the condoms/aids debate.

It's a fantastically self perpetuating institution, the RC Church. The next pope is not allowed to change or challenge any of the teachings of his predecessor. It's likely another very deeply conservative pope will be elected, because JP2 confirmed most of the appointments to Cardinal, guys in his own image so to speak.

So, Catholics may have a choice as to whether they believe they will go to hell or not, but they still won't be able to get the condoms which would help prevent HIV infection, or limit the size of their families with other means of birth control.

tresco

[quote]I originally started this post with the word "arguably" but I'm not actually arguing, I find it an interesting concept and am pursuing the thought for a while (but I am not passionate about the outcom...[/quote]

The Pope is the only absolute ruler left in Europe - once elected - by a very very small majority of his followers he can do what the hec he likes not only with the Catholic church but with his small but rich country in Rome.

I am sure that the many many men and women who have been abused and who's abusers were just moved to another church to do it all again are really relishing the thought of another similar pope - mind if the US courts get their way with their huge settlements it could be a much poorer church in the end.

As for the thousands of Aids orphans in Catholic countries who are there because condoms are not allowed - their religion is irrelevant as the whole country tends to follow the teaching. They probably don't even have TV to see this wonderful event live as it unfolds.

I note that Brazil, a catholic country, supplies condoms on demand and have managed to reduce the incidence in AIDS - I wish other countries were as brave.

Some of the things the Pope did were good but on balance I am still glad I currently reside in a country with no religious link to government.

The one member of the Royal family who really believes in multi faith is the person who has cancelled his wedding to go to the Pope's funeral.

Some good points and I tend to agree with most of them. But I have been watching pictures of thousands of mourners who seemed to be exhibiting genuine sorrow at JP's passing. I do think there must be some very strong things in his (the systems) favour as well.

Ah well John, that's cos they nab you when you are just a tiny nipper, repeating the catechism on a daily basis etc. If there were not so many millions of Catholics, some of the things that go on would be criticised the same as in 'cults'. It's pretty hard to shake off.

My own mother (from northern Ireland) decided at 12 that she could not stomach the poverty, fostered by some of the teachings of the RC church. Still sent us all to Catholic schools though, and never mentioned her true beliefs until we were near adulthood. It's powerful stuff, all that fear and guilt.

tresco