Our first snow of the year

Clair

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just over 3 weeks 'til the annual ski jaunt to Combloux (near Megeve) and it's still walking terrain there!

In past years we'd have been there already, up to our eyebrows in the white stuff (thank goodness for the nephews' SATS this year that have delayed the trip). I feel so sorry for the villagers, they must have lost most of a year's worth of livelihood already.

In the northern Lot 46 / edge of the Cantal 15, the overnight temp went down to -6.5ºC. It snowed most of the evening and I had the shovel out to clear the garage door this morning!

Current snow depth is 18cm / 7¼" and the bright early sunshine has now disappeared behind thick grey clouds... The snow has just started again...

In my part of the Lot it started snowing at about 11am and continued all day.  We decided to risk a supermarket trip into Gourdon, as the roads weren't too bad.  On the return journey though, the temperature dropped a few degrees, and the roads started to freeze.  The roundabout just outside the supermarket is in quite a dip in the road, and cars were unable to get up enough ooomph to exit the roundabout and start the climb up the hill.  Mr Cat had to get out to push the car in front of us up the hill, and then I had to do the same thing for our own car, thinking all the while that the tow bar was in just the right position to knock out my front teeth if I lost my footing and slipped [:'(]  Naturally, all the cars behind had to stop whilst the other cars were pushed up the hill, and none of them then had the momentum needed to gain traction, so each and every car had to be pushed.

This must happen every time it snows (admittedly only about once a year) and the weather forecast had made it quite clear that we could expect snow yesterday, and yet the road hadn't been gritted. 

I'll know better next time [Www]

I suppose that this is why I always keep a well stocked larder for winter. I hate unnecessary journeys when the roads are bad. And the more I drive on snowy/icy roads the more I hate it. I have done a snow and ice driving course, and it was great fun, but for everyday driving, well, I just don't want to do it.

At LAST...!

As an inhabitant of the Alps myself, to say that I am relieved to finally see some snow would be an understatement! With the snow coming over nearly two months overdue, the season can finally begin. I work for the local lift pass company in my village, and have been unable to start work until very recently due to the weather conditions causing us to close most of the pistes. Finally, things are back the way they should be - it lifts one's spirits to look out the window and see it all white again - it's been far too long! [:)]