Our first snow of the year

Clair

None of the snow has melted today and we had very high winds.  We now have 1 metre high drifts in places and my lane is totally blocked.  Looks like we are having another day off tomorrow.

I hope it thaws soon, we are running out of provisions.

Eeek

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Report from 23 Creuse - well, electricity now back on after a 60 hour blackout. Phone was also out the last 24hrs. We are at 500m and had a good 2 foot of standing snow, but a lot more in drifts. Even lower lying areas had 18-24 inches. I understand the power blackout covered large areas and is still off in some places. Fortunately we have a gas cooker but central heating packed up as the fuel and water pumps are electric. Won't have a wood burner till later this year (now on urgent list before next winter). Had to rely on a single parafin heater.

Local farmer now cleared the worst of the snow on the road through the village so I will attempt to get out tomorrow. All the locals say they have never seen so much snow fall in one continuous 24hr period

Oh the joys of living in rural France. Hope everyone else is Ok

Tony  

[quote user="hoverfrog"]The pompiers stopped next to me as I was sliding no-where on a hill. "Can you go backwards" he asked, "yes" I replied, "that's downhill!" "Well go backwards then" he 'helpfully' said and drove off!

Roll on spring :)[/quote]

I think he probably meant 'in reverse'... We live uphill as well and have seen our neighbours reverse uphill in when they could not drive up 'normally'... Something to do with front-wheel drive cars, traction and weight... Don't ask me for a technical explanation please!!![blink]

Today has been  bitterly cold, no wind and the atmosphere very very dry. Our car windscreens  haven't frozen at all today and the roads are bone dry. The snow hasn't melted either and it is just beautiful.

So were the schools shut in some places today. I keep trying to think if our schools were ever shut due to the snow, but I really cannot remember.

Coldest night so far: a bone-chilling -10.8ºC under the covered terrace...

Stunning blue sky, crisp fresh air and a crunchy crust of frost covering the softer snow... Lovely [:D]

[IMG]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296/clair46/LandscapeMedium.jpg[/IMG]

Ali cat how exciting for you, what a loverly picture, im sooooooooooooo jealous, how is your french going . you must be having its my first................in france near every day at the moment, Im so happy for you , as I now How I will feel when I can get out there.[:D] 

[quote user="Pads"]Ali cat how exciting for you, what a loverly picture, im sooooooooooooo jealous, how is your french going . you must be having its my first................in france near every day at the moment, Im so happy for you , as I now How I will feel when I can get out there.[:D] [/quote]

We're speaking like natives, now..... [Www]  Well, natives of Northern Ireland, with a bit of French thrown in!! [:D]

First snow, first frostbite & first hypothermia!!  & to think I came here for the heat & sun!!! [:-))]  It is really beautiful, though........ & you'll be here, soon!!