Is it worth moving to France?

After owning a small French house for 5 years, we have staggered on to retirement (age 60 and 61 soon) with the intention of moving there permanently.  We have made lots of friends and love going there.  We still have small UK house which we plan to rent to our son (no room for us to live there too, except for very brief visits). 

I am beginning to wonder if it would be better to spend a lot more time in France but still be UK residents officially.  Reasons:  Health care costs (I'm so far very healthy but OH is on cholesterol reducing medication permanently), the euro being so strong against the pound, the hassle of reregistering the car and insuring it in France, having to do French tax returns -tho our main income will be a teacher's pension & taxed before we get it.  Also our house is rather dark and only has a view from the garden above it, which is fine in the summer but could get depressing.

Any thoughts?  I have heard of people spending the summer in France and winter in the UK but no-one has ever explained how they sort out things like healthcare and car insurance!  I thought officially we should re-register our car and be officially resident after 3 months.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I understand the rules (someone will correct me if wrong), you can be a visitor to France for not more than 183 days in any 12 month period before you are assumed a resident with all that it implies.

If you are a visitor there is no requirement to register your car in France, it must obviously be completely legal in terms uf UK road fund licence, insurance MOT etc.

If you declare that you are taking up residence, then your car should be registered within not more than 30 days (I think)

On the basis of the above it is quite feasible to spend the summer (less than or equal to 183 days) in France and the balance in UK or possible anywhere else but France.

Only my interpretation.

I think you should both decide whether or not you actually want to move permanently. The contra reasons you have mentioned are really minimal - apart perhaps from the healthcare issue. You will still have costs in euros whether you are here permanently or part time. Have you visited the house in the winter to see what it is like? Do you want to be talked out of it, for there are many on this forum who will oblige. Equally there are plenty of people who are happily retired here. Others may be able to advise on the summer/winter idea to help you formulate a decision but if you are having doubts, now is the time to resolve them all - either way.

Keeping your UK house will give you an exit strategy of things go wrong.  What about having a year's trial, to include a winter, in France? 

Personally, I like winters in France because they are shorter and, correspondingly, springs and autumns are longer.  Make sure that you have a wood burning stove.

Hi, we have lived in France for 20 years.  We always wished we had kept our house in England, we have enjoyed working and living here and have made many good friends,  but now retired we do return to England more.  We love our times in England with the family and friends and have a very rich social life over there.  The winters in France are long and very cold, our French friends seem to hibenate and most of our favourite restaurants are closed.  There is nothing like Christmas in England.  We have very good English friends who spend Spring and Summer in France but winter in England, this works really well for them  as they agree France is dead in the winter months.  We do love France we wouldn't have stayed here for all this time otherwise but it's great to have a place in your home country as well.

This is just our views, I'm sure others think the opposite but being honest we will move back to England when we are older, just to be near our family and close friends when we feel vunerable.

Best of luck to you with your decision

Oh Llantony, this mode of thinking really worries me.  I am a generation younger that you and live on my dreams.  I have a place in the South and one day I will live there.  No doubt you had the same mode of thought when you were my age.

What happened?  Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems the older people get the more cautious they get.  Your reasons for not moving to France seem very light to me.  But then again, I have yet to be "snuck" up upon by the caution fairy.  She is a mare!! [:@]

I think the advice given to try it for a year is all you can do really.  After that, I hope you throw caution to the wind and remain young.  You have earned it!!

[quote user="Llantony"]Any thoughts?  I have heard of people spending the summer in France and winter in the UK but no-one has ever explained how they sort out things like healthcare and car insurance!  I thought officially we should re-register our car and be officially resident after 3 months.[/quote]

I appreciate your dilemma however you shouldn't have any problems remaining UK resident but spending the Summer in France. Spending 183 days in France does not of itself make you French resident, especially so if your house is a maison secondair, you retain your UK property and are essentially and demonstrably otherwise based in UK.

Emergency healthcare will be covered by an EHIC.

If you intend driving your UK car over when visiting the house then there will be no need to re-register it, whatever you've heard about 3 months is a complete bogey. You must keep it UK road legal at all times but otherwise you can keep it in France for 6 months in any 12 month period. Regarding insurance your current UK insurance will cover you for a certain period away, typically 30, 60, or 90 days, but that only relates to extension of the fully comp you presuambly enjoy in UK, after that period cover reverts to 3rd party which is a risk you may or may not feel you are willing to take. If not you can get longer cover from some UK companies, Saga being one.

Your only real concern as I see it then is the 6 months for the car so if you keep a close eye on your days then everything should work out fine [:)]

[quote user="Just Katie"]

Oh Llantony, this mode of thinking really worries me.  I am a generation younger that you and live on my dreams.  I have a place in the South and one day I will live there.  No doubt you had the same mode of thought when you were my age.

What happened?  Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems the older people get the more cautious they get.  Your reasons for not moving to France seem very light to me.  But then again, I have yet to be "snuck" up upon by the caution fairy.  She is a mare!! [:@]

I think the advice given to try it for a year is all you can do really.  After that, I hope you throw caution to the wind and remain young.  You have earned it!!

[/quote]

Katie, "oldness" and "youngness" both live in the mind.  I don't say the body; that gets old whatever you do to it, but with the mind, there are lots you could do to keep it young!

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="Just Katie"]

[/quote]

Katie, "oldness" and "youngness" both live in the mind.  I don't say the body; that gets old whatever you do to it, but with the mind, there are lots you could do to keep it young!

[/quote]

Well I won't delve to much into that Sweetie, but good for you........go girl!!  [:D]

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Also our house is rather dark and only has a view from the garden above it, which is fine in the summer but could get depressing.

This would be a big factor for me......

[/quote]

Yes, me too Gay.  Lovely lamps and a log fire during winter and nice and cool during summer.

I think that the winters are short here.  Another poster thinks that they are long.  It probably depends on where you live, I suppose.  I am coastal south west and so the climate is mild (max two nights of frost last winter).

I looked where you are - near Toulouse - and couldn't work out what it would be like in the winter.  The extra hour of daylight does make a difference.  Even on 21st Dec, it doesn't get dark until 5.30ish.

I would love to hear your reaction to the comments so far.

Llantony it is perfectly possible to stay within the law and spend the summer in France. We have been doing it for the last six years. I love France and am happy to spend my summers here. I wouldn't want to live here permanently though. For me, very strong family ties, a hobby I couldn't pursue in France and the level of my French language skills mean that I want to spend a large part of my time in the UK. For each of us it's a very personal choice; only you know what your priorities are.

Hoddy

[quote user="Gluestick"]

[quote user="powerdesal"]As I understand the rules (someone will correct me if wrong),

[/quote]

Judging by recent events here, Steve, someone will correct you even if you are right!

[Www]

[/quote]

I promise you that he will understand that comment GS, I will send you a PM to explain.

Cathy, the fact that where you are it does not get dark until 5.30 in winter is mainly down to the GMT-CET time difference, as total daylight hours are similar. If the UK adopted CET then it would be about the same, as you don't get that much difference being just a few hundred miles further south. In the Var, likewise it gets dark slightly later in the evening, but correspondingly dawn is later.

As far as the weather is concerned, it all depends which area of France and the UK you are comparing, as you cannot generalise. There are many areas of central France that have much colder winters than the south and south west of England for example. 

[quote user="Llantony"]

After owning a small French house for 5 years, we have staggered on to retirement (age 60 and 61 soon) with the intention of moving there permanently.  We have made lots of friends and love going there.   . . .

. . .  Reasons:  Health care costs (I'm so far very healthy but OH is on cholesterol reducing medication permanently),  . . . the hassle of reregistering the car and insuring it in France, having to do French tax returns -tho our main income will be a teacher's pension & taxed before we get it. 

[/quote]

If either of you is receiving a state pension (i.e. woman age 60) then she will be able to get an E121 which will cover you both to join the French healthcare system. You will then need a top-up insurance. Most cholesterol medication is now generic which is covered 100% if you have top-up.

Yes, re-registering a car can be a hassle but you only need to do it once.

If you only have pensions and savings income then the French tax form is easy to do - and you may find you pay LESS tax in France.

For obtaining healthcare, re-registering car and doing tax returns, you can find out exactly how to do all these things on a forum like this.

For Pound against Euro - [:(] not much any of us can do except shop for bargains [:)]

As the other posters have said, why not give it a try over the winter and see if you like it.

Think Tinabee has got it in a nutshell here, but why re-register the car? We sold ours in the UK and bought a French car when we got here, to the obvious approval of the people in our village. Buying the car was a very easy process and the garage did all the paperwork, all we had to sort was the insurance. I agree totally about trying it out for a winter first, BTW.

re the daylight - I don't have the figures to hand but I looked in to this in some detail years ago to compare Devon and Perigord in winter.   Based on local sunrise and sunset,   mid winter's day was 50 minutes LONGER in Perigord than in Devon,   whilst mid summer's day was 50 minutes shorter.  

Quite a difference,  whatever one's clock (GMT/BST/CET) happens to read.

I have to admit that I was a bit sceptical about that, but I've just checked, and it's true [:-))]  Today the local sunrise/sunset times are 0609 to 2140 in my bit of France, and 0501 to 2132 for Devon!

Those extra daylight minutes would be lost on me though, as I'm generally still sound asleep at that hour in the morning.

Not just daylight is the problem though? Many houses themselves are dark inside. This may be an agreeable retreat from the summer heat but in winter or the endless grey days, those rooms gets pretty depressing too, despite good lighting and warm fires. SAD is a real but unnoticed problem in France, often, I suspect, covered by an increased alcohol intake.

[quote user="Martinwatkins"]Based on local sunrise and sunset, mid winter's day was 50 minutes LONGER in Perigord than in Devon…  Quite a difference… [/quote]Absolutely.  Even in southern Burgundy the improvement on Devon in this respect is a distinct bonus.