FOOTY!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That not only feeds you, but surrounds you in unimaginable wealth and disposable income, merely because you kick and inflated pig's bladder up and down a mowed field...........

I fear this chap has rather cooked his goose!

Some of the comments are amusing; and perhaps express a surfeit of angst from devastated fans with large flags draped all over their homes.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3035256/Ashley-Cole-I-hate-England.html

If it wasn't so funny it would be sad......or is it the other way around?

Anyhow, all these jokes are blooming hilarious and if anything has come out of the inept display of the England team at the World Cup it is that everyone that played has become an absolute laughing stock. Except that, on average, they earn about £100,000 a week each!

How the other members of the squad must be thanking their lucky stars they were unable to get a game. And if they ever feel a bit smug just think about how bad they must be not to have been picked to actually play.

I seem to remember one of the commentators saying that the Germans don't pick their players from their premier league teams for their national team, they choose from the normal 'division' club's. Not understanding football (and in particular German football) I am not too sure how this works other than to say it does and they are obviously quite good. Perhaps England should do the same, it would be cheaper and there is some excellent talent at the lower levels.

If you referring to what I think you're referring, one of my British colleagues sent it to me late March/early April, even a German asked me about it a couple of weeks before the World Cup. Hardly news, and if I knew, then presumably the UK press knew.

I heard, FWIW, that one was subject to a voluntary postponement of publishing until after the world cup and the other was subject to a gagging order which is due to expire.  Don't know if  it's true but might expain a couple of things. 

[quote user="Quillan"]I seem to remember one of the commentators saying that the Germans don't pick their players from their premier league teams for their national team, they choose from the normal 'division' club's. Not understanding football (and in particular German football) I am not too sure how this works other than to say it does and they are obviously quite good. Perhaps England should do the same, it would be cheaper and there is some excellent talent at the lower levels.[/quote]

Not quite true Q. they like all other countries pick who they "think" are the best players for the team, and if they do pick a lower division player he gets the same match fees as every other player in the national team. Yes there is excellent talent in  lower leagues, but it doesn't stay there long; because as soon as it appears the big boys wave big pay checks and the talent moves on to bigger clubs. The big clubs are  in the "premier league" of any country. The Germans  even pick players who are not Germans but have passports of convenience to that country, i.e. the player has a grannie who once "visited that country, having said that most countries do this including England .

Couple of questions I now ask myself regarding the truth of the story, and confirm to me it's just one of millions of made up stories. The FA, and Capello, knew the story, but made him captain. A previous captain was removed for what was, arguably, a lesser infraction, in the full knowledge that they'd look really stupid when the story hit the papers after the World Cup. Also, he was supposed to have left his wife. 3-4 months later he's still living in the same house! If there was any truth in the story, he'd have had a hamstring problem, and not gone to the World Cup. Nope, believe it if you want, as really that's all that matters, as when did the truth ever get in the way of a good rumour.

Now, 3 French players and underage prostitutes. That really is true. The Police will confirm that one! Though in his defence Ribery did say she looked older!

[quote user="velcorin"]

Nope, believe it if you want, as really that's all that matters, as when did the truth ever get in the way of a good rumour.

[/quote]

Exactly.  The football doesn't entertain me but the antics of some of the denizens of the team have the ability to occasionally amuse.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

And Zahia refused to go to South Africa![:D]

I would not have thought that a Ch'ti from Pays du Nord or Pas de Calais would bovver over much about age.[;-)]

[/quote]

OK I'll hold my hands up, I don't understand these comments any chance of them in English?

[quote user="NickP"][quote user="pachapapa"]

And Zahia refused to go to South Africa![:D]

I would not have thought that a Ch'ti from Pays du Nord or Pas de Calais would bovver over much about age.[;-)]

[/quote]

OK I'll hold my hands up, I don't understand these comments any chance of them in English?

[/quote]

Zahia is the name of the  underage "prostitute" who is a friend of certain members of the french national football team.

Ch'ti a person from the North Region of france including the mining areas of Pay du Calais; Ribery is from Boulogne sur Mer and a large poster was erected on scaffolding in the port area.

Certain persons in the football world cast aspersions on the moral and ethical standards of persons hailing from those parts; in particular supporters of Paris St Germain who hang non complimentary banners at Parque de Princes.

If and I do emphasise the IF, the banners have a ring of truth in respect of incest then age would be just a teeny weeny step forward.[:)]

[quote user="Chancer"]

It seems every time I watch the local news there is another shocking report, this one is todays offering: http://www.ouest-france.fr/ofdernmin_-Ils-livraient-leur-fille-a-un-pedophile-quatre-ans-de-prison-pour-les-parents_6346-1432560-fils-tous_filDMA.Htm

Sadly very few of the cases of incest ever see the light of day.

[/quote]

Simple reason for that it has to either involve a minor or conversely involve rape. Incest between consenting adults in france is NOT a criminal offence.

Looks like it will be Argentina V Kaaskops in final.

Wow, what a finale to the Uruguay v Ghana game.

Handball on the line to prevent a last minute goal, but player pays with being sent off, Ghana fail to score from the resulting penalty.

That player made a great sacrifice as he will certainly be banned from the semi final, and probably the final too. But he has got his country through.

Instantly penalty shootout, the bloke who missed the penalty in normal time, scores a beauty in the shootout. What guts.

But the penalty to win it for Uruguay was sublime.

At last a dramatic match in these dreary finals.