FOOTY!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huge shouts of approval in the square tonight as we drank our coffee.Mexico had led 1 - 0, and we were told they had won. Is that so? Most people sitting around screens were French, the man who rolled up worse for wear but very happy about the result was French. As was the man who passed us with half a bottle of whisky left, telling us he was very sad.

Why the general approval about the result?

[quote user="gardengirl "]

Huge shouts of approval in the square tonight as we drank our coffee.Mexico had led 1 - 0, and we were told they had won. Is that so? Most people sitting around screens were French, the man who rolled up worse for wear but very happy about the result was French. As was the man who passed us with half a bottle of whisky left, telling us he was very sad.

Why the general approval about the result?

[/quote]

Hi Gardengirl ,most of the (football) world reckoned ,France cheated Ireland ,to gain a place in the World cup finals

The cheating came in the form of a double hand ball by Thierry Henry, that resulted in a goal to put Ireland out and France in!

Today's result;Mexico 2 France 0;

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Henry cheated Ireland, not France.[/quote]

France had the opportunity to support the motion for a replay but,refused.

"France rejects Ireland plea to replay World Cup

qualifying match"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6925303.ece

Thanks Leo and Richard. My brother who's quite keen on football kept wandering off to see screens while we sat chatting at a non-screen café, and kept us informed of the 1 - 0 score. I'd heard Henry had done something or other at an earlier stage, but not exactly what. So presumably most of the people watching were real football fans and maybe would not have felt comfortable if France had won the match.

It seemed a strange atmosphere in the square last night, not a lot of people eating out, despite the lovely weather we'd had during the day, and we'd only wandered round for coffee.

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]England and France are as both bad as each other. I hope they both get knocked out for the good of the tournament. Neither deserve to be there.[/quote]

They both deserve to be there as they won the right to take part through the qualifying competition. If you mean that  in the finals  they are not playing very well, you are correct. [:P]

[quote user="NickP"]

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]England and France are as both bad as each other. I hope they both get knocked out for the good of the tournament. Neither deserve to be there.[/quote]

They both deserve to be there as they won the right to take part through the qualifying competition. If you mean that  in the finals  they are not playing very well, you are correct. [:P]

[/quote]

I agree Nick.

And please don't mention Henry's hand again , it happens sooo frequently in matches ...

IMO, the problem with the French team is that it is not a team but players gathered together , no group^spirit, and they didn't even wave at the French supporters who had made the trip to south Africa to support them.

That's really bad.

Good for the French Football association, shame the English one isn't as honest, after all these people are heroes to kids, and if they publicly say things, young impressionable kids will do the same. Wayne Rooney's reaction to the fans voicing their displeasure at the poor performance was unforgivable. Because if the fans who earn less in a year than most players earn in a couple of days; spend their money  following and supporting these so called super stars, they are entitled to get some effort from the players in return not abuse. Mr Rooney would do well to remember that the fans make football the huge financial success it is. Very simple no fans no big wages.

[quote user="NickP"] after all these people are heroes to kids, and if they publicly say things, young impressionable kids will do the same. .[/quote]

YES, that' s exactly what I tried to say in one of my previous messages.

And even if only for that reason, these pople must get excluded.

I work in education as most people on the forum know, and we spend our time telling the kids that if they insult anyone they will be punished, so the " superstars" they admire , and sometimes worship! must set an example. 

[quote user="Frenchie"]

[quote user="NickP"] after all these people are heroes to kids, and if they publicly say things, young impressionable kids will do the same. .[/quote]

YES, that' s exactly what I tried to say in one of my previous messages.

And even if only for that reason, these pople must get excluded.

I work in education as most people on the forum know, and we spend our time telling the kids that if they insult anyone they will be punished, so the " superstars" they admire , and sometimes worship! must set an example. 

[/quote]

Nicolas Anelka did not utter anything in public . (it was in the privacy of the dressing room)

He was not sent home because he swore at the  "Manager".

He was sent home because he refused to apologise