FOOTY!

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]France did not cheat to get into the finals, Henry did. Just as England & Liverpool do not cheat, but Gerrard keeps on diving.[/quote]

Richard, its team sport, Henry is part of a team and as such at the time they all benefited from his action. Did any of them put their hand up at the time and say "Sorry ref he used his hand" not they didn't so they are just as guilty.

Best not open the flood gates on 'diving' in football because in truth their all at it.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="NickP"]

Quillan wrote:   "indeed many would be unemployable at worse or only fit for manual work at best like emptying bins."

Careful my friend, although you are entitled to your opinions of footballers, you are showing your middle class prejudice, I have a few members of my  family who where gainfully employed as bin men and I find your comments uncalled for to say the least. [:@]

[/quote]

It was a generalisation Nick not personal, you don't have any family that sweeps the factory floor by chance, if you don't I'll change it to that. [;-)] Mind you they would probably do well at bin collection, what with all the different coloured bins and all. Bit like getting penalty cards in football so they should be able to understand the system of what gors in to where, just. [:D]

Well said GG.

Don't get me going about Wimbledon either, bad memories for me as I once went to the staff college there and it was a nightmare getting to college when Wimbledon week was on. Mind you  don't know why they have to hog both BBC1 and 2, I mean they have 3 and 4 not used in the day so why they don't use those channels I just don't know. It's even more painful because once the matches have finished for the day you then get the blinking highlights.

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]France did not cheat to get into the finals, Henry did. Just as England & Liverpool do not cheat, but Gerrard keeps on diving.[/quote]

Richard, its team sport, Henry is part of a team and as such at the time they all benefited from his action. Did any of them put their hand up at the time and say "Sorry ref he used his hand" not they didn't so they are just as guilty.

Best not open the flood gates on 'diving' in football because in truth their all at it.

[/quote]

In that case, I didn't see any England players put their hands up and complain when the ball didn't cross the line in the 66 final, nor complain when the 4th went in as there were people on the pitch too ;) Two goals that never should have stood. :)

Just to report, that sadly the french contingent in the office weren't too impressed with the team purportly representing France. [:D]

Didn't help when one of the Germans quoted the esteemed philosopher Bart Simpkins, and referred to them as a bunch of cheese eating surrender monkeys (I thought it was funny[:D]). They're having a 5 minute working break now, after doing nuffing, but talk football for the last hour.

I'm keeping schtum, English, and a Man City fan, is too much potential for a fall. Got the afternoon off though [B][B][B][B]

I'm shocked at Wayne Rooney'outburst after the Algerian game.

Who knew he could even string a sentence together?

Fabio Capello was wheeling his shopping trolley across the supermarket car park when he

noticed an old lady struggling with her bags of shopping. He stopped and asked "can you manage dear?"

To which the old lady replied" no way . Yout got yourself into this mess,don't ask me to sort it out !"

I can't believe we only managed a draw against a rubbish team we should easily have beaten...

I'm ashamed to call myself Algerian.

What do you call an Englishman in the knockout stages of the World Cup ?

A referee

What's the difference between the Englang team and a tea bag ?

The tea bag stays in the cup longer !!

Three hours of football and Robert Green is still England's top scorer.

What's the difference between a faulty jet engine and Wayne Rooney?

The jet engine eventually stops whining.

Apparently that fan had no trouble slipping into the England dressing room, Robert Green was guarding the door.

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"][quote user="Quillan"]

[/quote] In that case, I didn't see any England players put their hands up and complain when the ball didn't cross the line in the 66 final, nor complain when the 4th went in as there were people on the pitch too ;) Two goals that never should have stood. :)[/quote]

If they cheated I couldn't agree more but they didn't. Its difficult to see if Geof Hursts goal attempt did cross the line or not but it was not a deliberate cheat, in fact it was not a cheat at all because it was not a thing that was meant intentionally to happen (unlike Henry) and nobody could say if 80% of the ball was over the line or not so the ref gave a goal. In their case it didn't matter because even if the goal was disallowed they still would have won. The only reference I can find about the final goal being after the whistle had blown was something Maradona said at an interview, talk about people in glass houses. [:@] Still at least he did admit, finally, that he cheated.

I am very much against any cheating in any sport be it individual, team or part of a team either through blatant cheating like Henry and Maradona or by taking enhancement drugs like some athletes. People who do this should be banned permanently as in for life from any sporting activity, from palying to managing, it sets a very bad example especially to young people.

I'm starting to come round to the idea of video replays as in rugby being used.

I liked the controversy in football before and was against the idea, but it seems there are so many bad decisions being made, this technology must be used.

And I agree, anyone cheating should be given harsh bans. Would see the likes of Drogba, Ronaldo, Gerrard, Carragher et al facing long spells in the sidelines for a start!

[quote user="Swissie"]What a bunch of overpaid Prima Donnas! The French manager refused to shake the hand of the the winning team - then the Swiss Captain refused to be introduced to Mandela!
[/quote]

I am glad to say that the cultured and well educated Brazilian declined to be provoked by the boorish behaviour of the french coach.

Of course if it had been the other way round I am almost sure the french coach would have followed the example of the uncultured and badly educated french president and replied with,

"Casse-toi, pov' con! [:D][:D][:D]

If I were a Brazilian, after such a public insult to a respected fellow countryman, I would definitely NOT buy mirages from people like that.[:P]

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]I'm starting to come round to the idea of video replays as in rugby being used. I liked the controversy in football before and was against the idea, but it seems there are so many bad decisions being made, this technology must be used. And I agree, anyone cheating should be given harsh bans. Would see the likes of Drogba, Ronaldo, Gerrard, Carragher et al facing long spells in the sidelines for a start![/quote]

Another convert to video refereeing. [;-)]

Two things football can learn from rugby, video refs and line touch.

Using video has been for some time a major part of big league and international rugby matches. It does not upset the game, in rugby 'flow' is equally as import as it is in football and you notice that rugby fans don't complain. It's not used for fowl's only for scoring, did the ball cross the line or not. There is none of this 80% malarkey, its simple, did the ball cross the line or not pure and simple.

Because of this it does not stop the flow of the game. As to if it would have made a difference in the case of Henry and Maradona that's a different matter as there would have had to have been some doubt that the ball crossed the line or not. The fact that both 'handballed' would, if it were under rugby rules, be the refs decision. Where it could have been used is in the case of Geof Hurst's 'bounce'.

The other 'line rule' is the side lines, touching or going over by the player (when he/she has the ball in their control) or ball means its out of play.

Or an example that rugby has sold it's soul toi TV? FIFA's arguement is that not every match has the advantage of TV cameras, so in effrect you have 1 set of rules for the big games, and 1 for the small games. As an ex-international rugby player, I agree with them.

[quote user="velcorin"]Or an example that rugby has sold it's soul toi TV? FIFA's arguement is that not every match has the advantage of TV cameras, so in effrect you have 1 set of rules for the big games, and 1 for the small games. As an ex-international rugby player, I agree with them.[/quote]

Well having visited Toulouse, Narbonne, Toulon and of course my home team Perpignan they all have cameras be them on French TV or not. This is mainly because being top clubs they broadcast either via their own TV channel or via the Internet, much as in the same way as premiership football in the UK does. Of course my local team only being in Federal 3 does not. I see no reason why tv cameras can't be used for international and cup games of football.

[quote user="velcorin"]Or an example that rugby has sold it's soul toi TV? FIFA's arguement is that not every match has the advantage of TV cameras, so in effrect you have 1 set of rules for the big games, and 1 for the small games. As an ex-international rugby player, I agree with them.[/quote]

Which country and which year, just out of interest.

Quillan wrote:

It was a generalisation Nick not personal, you don't have any family that sweeps the factory floor by chance, if you don't I'll change it to that. [;-)] Mind you they would probably do well at bin collection, what with all the different coloured bins and all. Bit like getting penalty cards in football so they should be able to understand the system of what gors in to where, just. [:D]

I never thought of your comment as personal, just in extremely bad taste, and you're digging yourself in deeper mate, as I indeed started my working life by sweeping the proverbial "factory floor". I just find it extremely bad manners for people who had some decent breaks in life to look down on others who are not so fortunate. Remember if there were no "bin men" etc. the world would not be in good shape. By all means slag of the football millionaires, but just because you consider some other occupations to be socially inferior don't deride them.

Il n'y a pas de sot métier !

L'instituteur demande à ses

élèves quelle est la profession de leurs parents. Sophie répond que son

papa est docteur et sa maman est à la maison. Jérôme annonce que papa

est ouvrier et maman employée dans une banque. Vient le tour de Toto qui

se lève et lance fièrement :

- J'ai pas de papa et maman fait la prostituée à la maison.

L'instituteur ne s'attendait pas à ca, et la surprise passée, il envoie

Toto chez le directeur. 15 minutes plus tard, Toto est de retour dans la

classe. Le maître lui demande :

- Alors, tu as répété à Monsieur le Directeur ce que tu m'avais dit tout

à l'heure ?

- Oui, répond Toto

- Et alors, qu'est-ce que Monsieur le Directeur a dit ?

- Il a dit qu'il n'y a pas de sot métier, il m'a donné un Bounty et m'a

demandé mon numéro de téléphone.