Things the French do better than us

Renaud

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Sprogster"]Chiefluvvie is absolutely correct, in that the acknowledgements used when French people meet strangers are not endearing but a formality they are taught as a child, in the same way Americans say have a good day. So whilst we Brits might find them endearing in fact they a taught way to greet and say goodbye, that the French use automatically without thinking.[/quote]

Well surely that's good manners? I don't see anything wrong with that, whats wrong with a polite formality?

"Well surely that's good manners? I don't see anything wrong with that, whats wrong with a polite formality?"

However insincere for me it's better than this equally insincere example from this morning.

In a local shop - put my purchases on the counter.

Callow youth: Y'aright ?"

Me: Yes, thank you.

I paid for my things and left to "See ya".

The young man was perfectly pleasant; I just prefer the more formal version.

Hoddy

Benefits, such as free bus passes, prescriptions, and support for fuel payments are more logically targetted in France, being on the basis of need not age.

French cultural achievement in the classic Arts is still a source of pride.

Knowledge is more highly valued in French education.

Retired people in France continue to contribute to the Social Security system.

Waiters are not regarded as inferiors, and won't let you forget it.

Picnic areas along main roads/autoroutes, better than simple lay-bys, and there are plenty of them.

The spaciousness of France and and in general its lack of "sheer weight of traffic" on roads.

Family Sunday traditions.

Free parking in many towns.

Vive la difference, (or les differences)[;-)]

Diversions

They have always worked for us, unlike UK, where you get one sign then they stop. WTFAIG

Verges

Lovely cut grass verges, unlike UK, left for wildlife, why would they want to live next to a road??

Street Lights

Our hamlet has lights on all night, unlike UK, they go off from midnight - 5.30am and we live in a town.

Will probably think of some more...

OK, so I used to live in the 'other' France. We had plenty of traffic jams. People would happily chuck rubbish out of their car windows and another bug bear, empty their ash trays out of the window, when say waiting in traffic.

Yes, the usual bonjours, monsieur-dames etc, but could easily precede pushing in, in a queue.

Bland food, I agree, my neighbours in France would eat bland food most evenings.  Usual fayre was a plate of 'dry' pasta or rice. I need something with or on such foods, especially when there is a morcel of bread in the other hand to accompany it. The starter being a salade verte........ which is, after all, just lettuce, but that would have a dressing. Followed by a yoghurt, or maybe some cheese. Healthy, perhaps. Boring and bland, most certainly.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="Frecossais"]

[/quote]

Mais non, Frecossais.  For the plural, it would have to be "vivent les differences", n'est-ce pas?

Either I'm showing off or being unbearable......[:-))]

[/quote]

I never was very good at "agreements" and stand corrected SW17. Please feel free to show off.[:D]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="Frecossais"]

[/quote]

Mais non, Frecossais.  For the plural, it would have to be "vivent les differences", n'est-ce pas?

Either I'm showing off or being unbearable......[:-))]

[/quote]

I never was very good at "agreements" and stand corrected SW17. Please feel free to show off.[:D]