Things the French do better than us

Renaud

Oi, you, that made me splutter in my lovely, Angela made, game soup.

Round here it is far more sinister as the word oncle is the same as papa, as is cousin, brother and even mere, as some of the ladies from the deep country have considerable beards. The more kisses, the greater the intent, therefore, or the greater the intimity.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="woolybanana"]Oi, you, that made me splutter in my lovely, Angela made, game soup. Round here it is far more sinister as the word oncle is the same as papa, as is cousin, brother and even mere, as some of the ladies from the deep country have considerable beards. The more kisses, the greater the intent, therefore, or the greater the intimity.[/quote]

What on earth did Angela put in that game soup?

I assume you mean "intimacy" as in "intimacy took place"........?[I]

[quote user="Frenchie"]

I won't wish you a happy new Year now, as I ve always been told never to wish it in advance ... ( another one of those silly French things I guess ... LOL )

Bisous . ( One thins we do better than you !!  LOL )

[/quote]

So, Fenchie, when is it appropriate to wish someone a Happy New Year?  Is it only on or after the 1st?

Just as well I haven't as yet sent my "bonne année" cards!  Another faux pas avoided.....phew![geek]

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="Frenchie"]

I won't wish you a happy new Year now, as I ve always been told never to wish it in advance ... ( another one of those silly French things I guess ... LOL )

Bisous . ( One thins we do better than you !!  LOL )

[/quote]

So, Fenchie, when is it appropriate to wish someone a Happy New Year?  Is it only on or after the 1st?

Just as well I haven't as yet sent my "bonne année" cards!  Another faux pas avoided.....phew![geek]

[/quote]

After midnight but as close to it as possible, within a few seconds or minutes by phone or texto, or anytime within the next 24 hours if you have a Free mobile contract, the networks are always saturated and Orange are certain to put Free cutomers to the back of the queue.

Aha.... Bises. I have been writing Bisous to my French friends. Is there a difference?

This thread made me think of what I have been calling "The French Psyche". This is the condition that simply forbids any chef in France from cooking a steak well-done in British terms. My OH has now discovered that he actually prefers the French well-done steak to the shoe leather he used to like. I'm happy.[:D]

As Chancer stated, by sms at midnight or just after , but for cards, send them after the 1st.. You have the whole month of jan to send them in fact.

Bises and bisous .. Well , a slight difference, IMO, bisous implies a bit more intimacy.

Bisous à tous !! [:D]  

• 2 weeks later...
Well, acksherly, I get into Windsor for nowt, zero, nada. It's one of the few so-called advantages of living in the borough. Dunno when you went last to Windsor, but a basic ticket without the state apartments is £9.70. A Basic ticket for Versailles is €15. With the State Apartments included, Windsor is £17.70, Versailles with the extra knobs and whistles is €18.00.

Slightly less, then, than "less than double" for Windsor, as it turns out.

ETA - and Windsor only started charging entry fees at all after the "big fire". Before that, it was free to visit everything except the State Apartments.