Things the French do better than us

Renaud

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]They're just great at taking phone calls whilst you're standing in front of them - shops, supermarkets, post offices, admin offices - just about anywhere actually. The person calling in on the phone is always much more important than the customer in front of them! Chiefluvvie[/quote] Must have been taking lessons from some of our local businesses[:)]. This seems to be a universal practice nowadays.

I'm not sure about this phone thing. I remember feeling very very annoyed when I would be at a desk asking about something and they would answer the phone and then say 'un moment' and then just leave the person hanging sometimes for a long time. And sometimes look surprised when the person had hung up.  Somehow that felt very rude to me, and I would rather them have taken the person's details and said that they would get someone to call them later. That is what I would like to happen.

[quote user="ericd"]I'm a bit disappointed that not one Lady member mentioned "better at Love making"....or is it hear-say? [8-|][/quote]

Well, Eric, not having had any personal experience, so to speak, I couldn't possibly comment!

However, I will say this:  a Frenchman can manage to say "enchanté without sounding like a smarmy oik [;-)]  Will that do?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="ericd"]I'm a bit disappointed that not one Lady member mentioned "better at Love making"....or is it hear-say? [8-|][/quote]

Well, Eric, not having had any personal experience, so to speak, I couldn't possibly comment!

However, I will say this:  a Frenchman can manage to say "enchanté without sounding like a smarmy oik [;-)]  Will that do?

[/quote]

I am a strong supporter of try everything once and then decide !!

[quote user="ericd"][quote user="sweet 17"]

[/quote]

I am a strong supporter of try everything once and then decide !!

[/quote]

I don't want to upset any French sensibilities, Eric, but you have clearly never visited my village nor met any of our finest specimens of French manhood.

Yesterday, I was driving home through some little-used lanes and there in the middle of the chemin was a man, boiteux, that is to say, il ne tien pas sur ses canes, limping along with a brolly in his hand and a sort of sacoche slung round his neck.  As the rain was quite heavy and there was a vent  à décorner les boeufs (thank you, Clair, for teaching me my favourite expression du jour), I offered him a lift.

We had a chat and maybe 5 minutes in the car altogether when he asked to get off.  We said goodbye and he told me I was très charmante.

When I got home and explained to OH where I dropped the man and where he was headed, OH was stupefied and asked me why I'd left the poor man a good mile further from his destination than where I'd picked him up!

Me, how was I to know?  I have little sense of direction and I don't know these little lanes and shortcuts too well....[:(]

So, you see, Eric, I wouldn't want to go to bed with any of them but they are perfectly polite and good-natured.  I mean, who would be taken OUT of their way, just to be nice to the dumb woman who offer people lifts and then take them round le chemin des écoliers?

My french neighbour would occassionally get in the quip that french men were the best lovers. Probably these comments were directed at me, but I just ignored them.

I am pretty straightforward,  I love the one I'm with,  and I stay with them and would never dream of straying. And if ever I fall out of love, then I'd leave, so a new man in my life would not be a 'lover' as in extra martial affair, just 'my' lover. I don't understand affairs, although Debs had quite different views on this, which obviously suited her, but would never have suited me.

Aires on the main roads and motorways - superb !

Free gift wrapping in shops

Wild flower verges, roundabouts and municipal parking areas

Never asking for money up-front and waiting for payment until your next visit

Cheap entry to Chateaux, museums etc and some free days as well

Aperitifs

A menu du jour with unlimited wine and coffee for 12.50 euro !

I could go on..............................

Long ago and not so very far away I did a course on the history of English. If I remember rightly 'em' is/was the Norse equivalent of the Anglo-Saxon 'them'. Both words come from 'hem'. I'm not sure exactly where Idun lives but if she is in the old Danelaw she is speaking correct modern Engilsh for where she lives.

Hoddy

[quote user="powerdesal"]No, I don't think so. Although the phrase 'stay with them' should really have been ''stay with 'em''. Probably 'well spoken' Lancashire, around the Cheshire border mebbe. :-)[/quote]

Now that has cheered me and amused me pwerdesal. I was wondering if it was my badly written english that made you think I was french....... there again, you have not seen my written french, which I assure you is worse........ and my spoken french, well, no, I'm certainly not french.

My accent, I'm from the NE of England, although, I also sort of sound as if I am from Carlisle, which I'm not, only around here have similar accents with flat vowel sounds. Well spoken, not sure about that,  but I am softly spoken ........ although I can sound like a fish wife if needs must! Fortunately I don't do that very often.

Hoddy, I would say 'em, but I don't usually write it.

[quote user="powerdesal"]Come on Idun, be a bit more specific. Cumbria or Lancashire or even Yorkshire ( although that's really the wrong side of the Pennines )[/quote]In Pedant mode[:)] I would call Cumbria, Lancashire as NW. Yorkshire is East of Pennines as are Northumbria, Durham and Cleveland