A Miserable Easter

I don’t know what the weather has been like in your neck of the woods, but down here it’s been rotten.

Obviously, you don’t expect glorious weather at this time of the year, but it has rained steadily and more or less continuously for 3 days and we’re getting completely fed up with it.  Localised flooding, although happily not as bad as when the local tragedy occurred a couple of weeks ago.

Easter events have been cancelled, sometimes on the insistence of the Prefecture.  For traders and restaurateurs, this would / should have been a good earning long weekend.  Not now.

How has it been where you are?

Did the return from our bike ride on Easter Sunday in the pouring rain, though no head wind.  Felt quite good oddly enough to be out in the rain.  Sun came out  in the afternoon for a bit.

Strangely, my wife has several solar lights in the flower pots on the balcony.  We have had quite a few sunny days, but they have not charged.

After the driving rain in the morning and then the sun, they were all on last night.  Perhaps they to have heeded the wetness and changed over to rain charging!

• Haha 1

3 days !!  I think I can count on ONE HAND the sunny days we've had since OCTOBER.  Floods all over.  Rock slides have closed several roads.  Ground drenched in water.  Yesterday was part sun, part rain, so that was nice.  Woke up to some sunshine with clouds, but storms are in the forecast for this afternoon.  To say we're all sick of the rain around here would be an extreme understatement.

• Thanks 1

Lori, yes, exactly like you have described.  Our walking club has cancelled as many walks as have taken place.

I have been rushing out for a walk every time it's stopped raining for a bit but, however sunny on starting, I have come home soaked to the skin.

Have you seen the pictures of the Vienne and the Creuse overflowing their banks?  Even Limoges has been flooded.

Our local rivers have all, at sometime in the last 3 months, broken their banks.

Of course, although not in the severely flooded areas, us and all the surrounding départements have been on orange alert for weeks:  la Gironde, la Charente, la Charente Maritime and la Dordogne.

No sign of change on the météo for at least the rest of this week and into the next.

53 minutes ago, menthe said:

Have you seen the pictures of the Vienne and the Creuse overflowing their banks?  Even Limoges has been flooded.

Yes, it looks terrible.  And to make matters worse, we could see drought warnings come Summer. 

Given the weather we have had since November, the Easter sunshine has been a real respite; I have been able to garden for several days in a row and have even started removing the winter clothes, plus turning the heating off. Those areas of the PdeC which are still flooded ( mainly low lying fields) may now manage to dry out a bit.

I'm in the UK longest, wettest spell I can rememebr for a very long time, in both countries.  Maybe had 2 or 3 warm and sunny days, several cloudy but with no rain, though never warm, and like today showers and sunny spells .. I was hoping it would improve as I come south this week, but evidently not from what you are all saying.  Botheration!

1 hour ago, anotherbanana said:

The Pas de Calais and Nord does NOT need more rain this year; low lying areas are still flooded and the r8vers are full.

The rain is falling in the wrong places.

South East France (Perpignian area) is becoming a desert. They are seriously in the mèrde. That area is becoming lost. 

Do you want rain or not rain ?

Welcome to the new world.

Sooner or later nowhere in France will be insurable.

Edited by alittlebitfrench

Not much different in the UK where there have been floods and general high water levels in the rivers. As expected the dreadful, rainy conditions has been made even worse by the water companies pumping raw sewage into the waterways causing environmental disasters across the country. The boat race participants were advised to keep out of the Thames water to avoid sickness.

Just as it looks like it may be drier for the late spring and summer we are being warned of water shortages and hosepipe bans coming into force. During the past three decades there have been no new reservoirs built even though there is a need for at least 30 major ones to maintain a reasonable water supply. The solution is straight forward but the shareholders don’t want to give up their profits. Maybe re-nationalisation is the answer, starting with Thames Water in the south central region.

18 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

The rain is falling in the wrong places.

South East France (Perpignian area) is becoming a desert. They are seriously in the mèrde. That area is becoming lost. 

Do you want rain or not rain ?

Welcome to the new world.

Sooner or later nowhere in France will be insurable.

Becoming a desert?

Heavy rain and thunderstorm in that area last Monday 

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=42.68;1.92;6&l=rain-3h&t=20240401/1800

#

18 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

Edited by Harnser