French Channel Ports at the Moment

Gardian

Just for anybody travelling in the next couple of days - things are apparently quite difficult, with farming protesters blocking access.

According to friends coming from the south, trying to get to their hotel in Calais this afternoon (prior to a Tunnel crossing tomorrow), it was a nightmare.

Probably not many in any way interested, but you never know !

• Sad 1

Wooly .........

Well down here, it’s the price that they’re getting for their produce.  Usual thing I suppose.

Apparently Friday is going to be the ‘big day’, but they obviously kicked off early in the Pas de Calais.

In many ways I don’t blame them, but we’re supposed to be in a ‘free market economy’ in the (so-called) West - that, I always understood to mean, that you need to be able to match competitive imports for price and / or quality.  If you can’t, then ..............

I fear that this is just the start of it.

Both Attal and Bardella have been out talking to the agriculteurs and answering questions.  I didn't watch for too long, because I know very little about agriculture.

In the UK too, there was a feature about farmers in the Lake District and some of them are said to earn no more than 12k a year.

It is the quiet season for farmers and they are bored so they kick off.

Guardian, the French have always paid lip service to the free market; if they are exporting into it then they will defend it aggressively and be the first to the European courts to defend their rights but if anyone should export to France particularly food then the moan goes up, ‘unfair competition’, ‘hidden subsidies’, ‘unfair regulation makes French products expensive’ blah, blah. 

There are too many small farms producing food no one wants at uncompetitive prices. Just look at Brittany pork.

Round here it is sugar beet. And potatoes. Bobo knows what they do with the stuff.

Somehow the French farmer has to understand that the State and EU do not owe them a living and that the sentimental, one family band of farming is long over.

10 hours ago, menthe said:

Both Attal and Bardella have been out talking to the agriculteurs and answering questions.  I didn't watch for too long, because I know very little about agriculture.

In the UK too, there was a feature about farmers in the Lake District and some of them are said to earn no more than 12k a year.

It must be difficult running a couple of Land Rovers on £12k a year. 😃

17 hours ago, anotherbanana said:

Yes, Gardian, well noted; but with a place like Calais there are usually any number of road accesses, off motorway, so folks get the old maps out.

By the way, what exactly are they demonstrating about?

https://www-publicsenat-fr.translate.goog/actualites/economie/colere-des-agriculteurs-ce-que-contient-la-liste-des-revendications-presentee-par-la-fnsea-au-gouvernement?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Nice one, Norman. Thank Bobo those days are gone.

If it is still around try to watch Le Champ Dolent which, though fiction covers the history of one family throughout this period. I showed it to some elderly French retired farmers in the Vendée who said that they recognised the lives and culture in it as theirs.

On 25/01/2024 at 16:41, anotherbanana said:

And now the fishermen are trying their luck. What are they wingeing about?

Two recent events - the price of the diesel fuel they must use, the marginal profitabilty of their boats depends to a large extent on the price of the fuel, a few cents per litre increase means they are running at at a loss because of the amount they use.

And Biscay fishermen are on a month's lay off to protect dolphins which get caught in the nets - breeding season etc.

4 hours ago, anotherbanana said:

Nice one, Norman. Thank Bobo those days are gone.

If it is still around try to watch Le Champ Dolent which, though fiction covers the history of one family throughout this period. I showed it to some elderly French retired farmers in the Vendée who said that they recognised the lives and culture in it as theirs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKfF2pfFwxw

Just to return to the current disruption, you’d think from the BBC News that Paris was the only place affected.

Now it may well be of course that most of the rest of France is currently unaffected.  However, down here, we certainly are affected.

Motorways and many roads unusable (the A9 between Orange & Montpellier has been closed since Thursday) and local towns of any size are inaccessible.  Starting to see shortages in local shops.