Best Wishes Everybody

Gardian

Well, I suppose somebody had to start it, so it might as well be grumpy old me !

Its the time of the year when most get together with family and friends.  We’ll be here in France with our younger son and his partner, who are currently en route from Czech - hopefully, they’ll get here teatime-ish tomorrow.  Then we’ll be off to the UK for a couple of weeks in the New Year with elder son, family & friends.

May I wish everybody on the Forum my very best wishes for a Happy Christmas and (and as well as can be hoped for, at our time of life) a healthy 2024.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Judith said:

ALBF, NOT in Yorkshire.  I'm a Yorkshire girl, ducks is Derbyshire, Midlands. 

But Happy Christmas to all too!

I worked a million years ago in Rotherham (South Yorkshire) and everyone was a duck.

Unless (and I will give you the benefit of the doubt) they lived in Derbyshire but worked in Rotherham.

Alright duck, yeah I’m alright duck…you alright duck..yeah I’m fine duck.

Living in the Dordogne and being from Derbyshire. 😅

Are you hungry duck ?

Edited by alittlebitfrench

May I wish you and yours the happiest and most satisfying Yule, full of good cheer, good food and good friendship. And may you smile at the thought that the shortest day is passed and we can begin clawing back to the light.

Here are some ways I expect ypu are celebrating Yule, enjoy:

Yule Celebrations

We have records indicating the Old Norse pagans celebrated with four traditions:

An Offering (blót) - A farm animal would be sacrificed and displayed in front of their home, so people knew what animals were being honoured for the gods. The blood of the animals would be sprinkled on alters, walls and participants using magical twigs. The sacrifice would be cooked over a hearth's fire and served to the hall.
  1. Feasting - There would be celebratory drinking of mead and feasting of the sacrificed animals. Cups would be raised in honour of gods and ancestors: Odin for victory and power, Niord and Freyja for peace and a good season, and for departed friends and family buried in mounds.

2. Yule Oaths - Oaths sworn on this day were unbreakable by pagan law. You could promise anything you wanted, but there were heavy consequences if you broke it. In some cases breaking the ultimate oath could result in death.

3. Yule Gifts - Not much is said about what was gifted back in the historical heathen days, but from the sagas, we have mention of people offering Yule gifts to merchants and friends.