What is the difference?

David

Not necessarily related to France alone, but what is the difference between French and British books - French books, when looked at from the spine are upside down.

What is the difference between sauce and gravy?  I do not know the answer.

What is the difference between soup and stew?  Any answers?

David

p.s.  I think the Martian thread is wonderful, and it has cheered me up.  Can we have more on the lighter side please?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the difference between French mashed potatoes (puree), British mashed potatoes (Some lumps), Crushed potatoes and overcooked boiled potatoes that have gone partly or all the way towards a mush?

David

Leaving Davids garden aside, because it makes my head hurt.[:)]

French Books have French punctuation.

Now, driving on the wrong side of the road I have got used to, but those wierd punctuation marks: Never!

Also, does no one else except me notice how gross french food photography is, in the brochures for the super markets?

Yes lets just fill this thread full of nonsense.

You already do that on all the other threads sweetie! 

Just filling in for Mr Smith[;-)]

I
think sweetie has a y at the end, didn't you go to school huh !

Regards Dick

(Not as good as Dick but as Twinkie says, we do need to hold it together here, until the real Mr Smith gets back)

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

Do you have nothing else to do than partake in all this drivel and nonsense.  Sorry, I couldn' find a suitable picture.   [:P]

[/quote]

Nope!!  My backs sore, I can't be bothered to do any hoovering & the hubby is cutting the grass!! So here I sit reading through all the posts - & now wondering if all gravy should have meat juice in it - as mine dosen't!!  Been a veggie for 14 years & make a wonderful vegetable gravy!![:D]

[quote user="David"]

What is the difference between sauce and gravy?  I do not know the answer.

[/quote]

In English.....

Gravy is savoury, made with meat juices, goes with meat dishes or their veggie equiv.  Usually brown.

Sauce can be savoury or sweet.  Milk-based, tomato-based, caramel-based, they're all sauces.

In French....... all of the above, and vinaigrette/salad dressing, are all just called sauce.

[quote user="David"]

What is the difference between French mashed potatoes (puree), British mashed potatoes (Some lumps), Crushed potatoes and overcooked boiled potatoes that have gone partly or all the way towards a mush?

David

[/quote]

There is no difference between British and French mash.  It varies from house to house, not country to country.  Some like it smooth, some like it lumpy, some French people cook potatoes in the microwave by choice. [+o(]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Sweetie is a person, sweety is a sweet.

What's the difference between roast beef and pea soup?

Any idiot can roast beef.

I'm off now, possibly permanently. Have a good time.
[/quote]

That's very funny Dick.  Nearly choked on my cheese toastie.

Dotty

Thanks KatieKopyKat, the thread was meant to be filled with nonsense to make us smile.

Re soup and stew - If a soup is eaten with a spoon, and a stew with knife and fork, is mince curry a soup or stew?  I would say mince curry is more of a stew, but .....

Re three leaf or nine leaf - the neighbours came round to visit, and one bottle of pastis later .....

A very old one - What is the difference between Ferrari and MacDonalds?  Ferrari only have one burnt Berger.  Ouch.

Re sauce or gravy, if gravy is made with meat juices, why do posh restaurants and Chefs call their gravy a sauce?

David

For me stew is thick and lumpy and one of those things to eat with a spoon and bread, preferably with butter on it. I would hate it with a knife and fork. Another of those things is chocolate cake  always being scumptious when eaten with fingers. Some things are just right when eaten in a certain way.

So KKK how do you make your gravy if you don't use bisto. I must say I can tart bisto up to something quite good, but nothing excels the gravy I make using a very olde fashioned method that I copied from my MIL.

I make mash and I make that runny french puree too. Depends what I am serving it with. I don't like lumps and really try and ensure that there are none and that whichever I make is smooth and creamy tasting.

Mince curry is a new one on me, though I'm sure its nice;[:)] I'm a balti girl me self - but haven't seen anything remotely like a balti in France.

Don't posh restaurants in the UK now call their gravy, jus or is that just Gary Rhodes.

Stew - definitely a spoon maybe a fork but never a knife - everything is already the right size chunks in my stews.( where is the halo smiley?)

Most revolting topping seen on a french pizza? artichokes and boiled potatoes [+o(]

Finally,

Whats the difference between sprouts and bogies ?

Kids won't eat sprouts ![:-))]

I think Dick has got the sulks because Gay is giving him a bit of attention the other day instead of me.  Embrace it Dick.

The only way to make gravy is to take the meat juices, add water so you have about 1/2 pint of liquid, add flour or cornflour (I prefer flour) and mix into a paste.  All this should be done in the roasting pan by the way.  Then pour in some water which you boiled the greens in (this should contain a little salt) stir over the heat until it become the correct consistancy.  Add a bit of garlic, french mustard, soy sauce and gravy browning.  If you have never done this before it takes a little practice.

This is true gravy, bisto is cheating.

My mothers recipe too (taditional gravy) However, I have only just started using garlic in gravy.  I also stab slithers of garlic into red meat and it has become quite common now.  Also (and everyone turns their nose up to this one) I mash tinned anchovies in a mortar and spread over lamb, wrap in foil and slowly cook.  The fishiness is lost and the salt flavour runs through the meat with the juices.