What is the difference?

David

I use flour and gravy salt. I too like that slight saltiness in the gravy. That was got me about my MIL's, it seemed to bring out the flavours of the stock or meat juice and the bottom of the pan if she was doing a roast, but it was definitely a hint of salt.

I never add garlic to gravy. I make plenty of sauces with garlic in them and they are fancier than my gravy.Not better, just different.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love marmite, but not in proper gravy.

Oh Hollyhocks !!  Does that mean I've never made proper gravy ??  I thought it was passable as long as you didn't leave lumps in it.  My OH has never said a word, bless his cotton socks.

No offence taken dear Tresco !  It just made me wonder whether I'd been kidding myself all these years about my average cooking.  Also if that is the reason why my OH always leaves a bit on his plate ! (he says its because he likes to watch his weight !)  [:D]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]
I'm off now, possibly permanently. Have a good time.
[/quote]

Please come back Dick.

I had to look up a spelling for Kittie Kat earlier. It would have been so much better if you had just done your thing...

[quote user="Miki"]
"....I'm off now, possibly permanently. Have a good time"

What's up Dick ?.........................      (I know, what comes next  "  I like carrots" but, I said Dick not Doc !

So ?

[/quote]

I have discovered this thing you refer to as Dick, is slang for Detective. You Earth people place carrots up the detective? Is this a good place to store other vegetable matter, such as the cauliflower?

The Martian

Is this a good place to store other vegetable matter, such as the cauliflower?

Someone mentioned the benefit of money to you, I believe.

If you have enough money, you can store your vegetables anywhere you choose. The storage space you are thinking of would probably be very expensive. You would need to hire a special personal/private detective and then explain your vegetable storage needs quite carefully and clearly.

[quote user="Miki"]

Yes lets just fill this thread full of nonsense.

You already do that on all the other threads sweetie! 

Just filling in for Mr Smith[;-)]

I think sweetie has a y at the end, didn't you go to school huh !

Regards Dick

(Not as good as Dick but as Twinkie says, we do need to hold it together here, until the real Mr Smith gets back)

[/quote]

Don't you DARE correct my spelling!! You drop your aitches left right & centre![:@]  Doesn't he Dick?.... Dick?......DICK!!!

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Sweetie is a person, sweety is a sweet.

What's the difference between roast beef and pea soup?

Any idiot can roast beef.

I'm off now, possibly permanently. Have a good time.
[/quote]

Thank-you!! My hero!!

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"]

I think Dick has got the sulks because Gay is giving him a bit of attention the other day instead of me.  Embrace it Dick.

The only way to make gravy is to take the meat juices, add water so you have about 1/2 pint of liquid, add flour or cornflour (I prefer flour) and mix into a paste.  All this should be done in the roasting pan by the way.  Then pour in some water which you boiled the greens in (this should contain a little salt) stir over the heat until it become the correct consistancy.  Add a bit of garlic, french mustard, soy sauce and gravy browning.  If you have never done this before it takes a little practice.

This is true gravy, bisto is cheating.

[/quote]

Can somebody ask her for her yorkshire pudding recipe 'cos' she won't give it to me - thank you!

She always does me a real welsh sunday dinner when she comes to see me and her gravy's gorgeous - she doesn't even have to pass it through a sieve!

To the Martian,

Perhaps you should try minestrone soup.  For this you should first retrieve your vegetables fom their various storage places.  This will save much of the thing called money spent on storage charges, private detectives and security guards.  Do not wash the vegetables as this will spoil the flavour.  Not washing will also guarantee that you get the Italian equivalent of "deli belly".  Cut the vegetables into large lumps and put them in a large metal container with some liquid of your choice.  I suggest Martian firewater.  Light a fire under this container, and dreamily watch the bubbles rise while quaffing large amounts of Chianti.  To this mess you need to add some extra flavour.  For this you need to go to the country and find a four legged pink coloured being called a pig.  Cut a bit off, and then cut the lump up and throw it in the pan with the vegetables.  Keep the fire going for a bit, and then pour the vegetables and bits of pig into a soup bowl.

Before you can eat this mess, you need to provide a topping to hide the big lumps.  For this, in the country, find a four legged beast of the female variety.  Are you aware of the difference between male and female?  The female has protuberances on the chest, or in older varieties on the belly, which leak a white liquid.  For your topping, collect some of this white liquid and keep for several weeks until it starts to move by itself.  This is called fermenting, and is guaranteed to stop the "deli belly".  Collect the solid bits and cut them into very small pieces.  Sprinkle over your minestrone soup.  The best of this fermented white liquid is called "parmesan cheese".

Take your knife and fork and enjoy.

David

I suppose that after the above posting I will be chastised by the "Harem" - Concise Oxford Dictionary Tenth Edition, but I hope it will be worth it.  I do think that "Hareem" sounds better.

I wonder if the Harem has finished swapping gravy recipies?

Don't suppose you want another "what is the difference" but of a technical nature?  Anyway Will would spoil it.

Better wait until the cooking recipes are finished.

So instead, what is the difference between a swede and a turnip?

David

Here's a bit of info on Harems or Hareems, thought it might be of interest[;-)]

The Ottoman harem

The image of a harem conjures visions of opulent surroundings filled with beautiful, sensuous women whose sole duty was to entertain an aging yet still lustful sheik or Sultan.

The Sultan thingy is not up to date, where is the Mikiman empire line then ?