Re: The songs we are singing

Frenchie

I am a music lover. I love all sorts of different styles, so I thought it would maybe be a good idea to share them with you all.

Please do the same, tell us about the songs in your life, the ones that move you, are or have been  important to you.

Dedications welcome!

Ok; I start the thread, so here is my song , one that has always given me goose pimples   Chris De Burgh    Border line   

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zHRWJAOj7Wo

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Frenchie"]

The song is meaningful to me,

[/quote]Quite.  And that's surely the point, whatever pleases you is fine by me (providing you play it in the privacy of your own home/car/whatever.)  Is poo-pooing other people's musical preferences becoming a national sport or something?

Ah! Poo-Pooing! A dreadful thing to do, JE! And very dangerous!

I once heard about a whole regiment literally destroyed by Poo-pooing! Morale gone! Moral fibre vanished!

Never underestimate the danger of poo-pooing, JE!

(With apols to Ben Elton, Richard Curtis and Steven Fry).

I have always liked a song by the Kursaal Flyers -  "Little Does She Know".  It's very meaningful to me.

Here is a sample from the lyrics:

"Little does she know that I know that she knows that I know she’s two timing me.  Little does she know that I know that she knows that I know she’s cheating on me."

Great stuff!

Patrick

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Ah! Poo-Pooing! A dreadful thing to do, JE! And very dangerous!

I once heard about a whole regiment literally destroyed by Poo-pooing! Morale gone! Moral fibre vanished!

Never underestimate the danger of poo-pooing, JE!

(With apols to Ben Elton, Richard Curtis and Steven Fry).

[/quote][:D]

As song lyrics go, this has to be one of my favourites.

http://www.lyricsandsongs.com/song/720851.html

(Banned by the BBC - but don't worry it's not rude!)

[quote user="powerdesal"]Bridge over troubled waters.    very meaningful.
[/quote]

Back in the good old days, when musicians were musicians and bands played instruments, great buddy of mine was a semi-pro folk musician and also worked for his agent.

His boss told him to report to Heathrow and pick up a young guitarist, harp player and singer ("Harp" in this context does not mean one of those bloody great curved things you don't take to parties, it means  harmonica.) and bring him to London to start his tour of the folk clubs.

For the next few weeks, David my mate, ran this young lad around the clubs for his gigs; some of which David was also playing. As Dave put it, this young shy lad with a guitar in a case and a duffle bag over his shoulder and wearing a pair of Levis which he wore for three weeks arrived; played and astounded us all.

Eventually, the agent told David to take this lad back to the airport.

David said "Are you mad? He's a genius! Sign him! Now!"

No, the agent wasn't impressed.

So,  David took Paul Simon back to Heathrow and waved goodbye................................ and then met Art Garfunkle.

One bit of trivia; the song Homeward Bound, "Waiting on a railway station............" was written by Paul Simon whilst waiting for a train at either Harold Wood or Shenfield station, on the London Liverpool Street to Southend Victoria Line.