What French things do you do?

SaligoBay

Cultural things, that is, at any level you choose to understand it.   Apart from eating and drinking, of course!  

What do you do that is very French, that you really couldn't do in the UK?

Watch bull-fighting?  Play pétanque?  Discuss the intricacies of chansons de geste?  Belotte?  Tarot?  Bigdil?  French cinema?

Just wondering.......  

The usual things like boules,aperos at the drop of a hat,moan about the government policies here,moan about Parisiennes and grow lots of veg. I also attend many functions public and private,get visits from disgruntled neighbours and have to report to the maire and eat strange parts of animals that have long disappeared from UK supermarket shelves. Fest Noz, randonnées,low tide fishing with my special rake and basket. In fact, can't really remember doing anything especially english except being a couch potato during winter evenings watching TV but no meals whatsoever in front of the box.

[quote]Cultural things, that is, at any level you choose to understand it. Apart from eating and drinking, of course! What do you do that is very French, that you really couldn't do in the UK? Watch b...[/quote]

**What do you do that is very French, that you really couldn't do in the UK?**

Successfully avoid Brits!

(There was no possible way I could pass-up a straight-line like that!)

[quote]I'm sure that there are many on this board with the same sentiments Ray[/quote]

**I'm sure that there are many on this board with the same sentiments**

LOL! I suppose so! The ones I was referring to are easy to spot. No names!!

I don't think there are any French things that I do apart from the kissing thing with freinds, but here's a few French things that I would not dream of doing in any country:

1. use somebody elses garden as a toilet

2. Park in somebody elses drive or garden without asking first

3. walking across somebody elses land without asking first

4. walking into somebody elses house to seek shelter from a shower of rain without knocking on the door first.

5. parking your car as badly as possible taking up at least two parking spaces or not even bothering to use a parking space at all.

6. Overtaking another vehicle and forcing any oncoming vehicle off the road.

7. going on a bike ride with some friends and riding six abreast going up hill and when coming downhill riding on the oposite side of the road and cutting every corner.

I guess I could go on and on

[quote]Cultural things, that is, at any level you choose to understand it. Apart from eating and drinking, of course! What do you do that is very French, that you really couldn't do in the UK? Watch b...[/quote]

Eat fresh melons & peaches, picked this morning.  Browse markets where people sell produce they actually produce themselves.  Go to a truffle market.  Yes, alright, buy much cheaper wine and therefore drink more of it but not to excess.

Watch tourists go past our window.  Help paralytic neighbour home, be kept awake by neighbours on all night drinking binge, have to ask young neighbour to turn down club level hifi music (with window open) in little street (in UK live in leafy suburb & not had these problems).  On the plus side: be given a bottle of champagne by a neighbour who's nephew produces it, melons from another who's brother has a farm, wood from another.

Sit out on our terrace (made with huge effort as only accessed by 32 steps up beside the house) admiring the view and waiting for the first star & bat (very little light pollution).  In the daytime watching lizards, evening looking for Douglas the toad. Say hello to everyone we pass in the street and to other customers in local shops.  Eating outside a cafe in October and in February.  No traffic jams unless we go to a big town.  Being kissed in greeting by estate agent when we arrive to sign the acte de vente.

Must be loads more...

Just realised that none of my list is cultural!  Did go to a village fete, very entertaining, cultural in the broad sense, also open air Shakespeare in the village square (Hampstead Players) art exhibitions in the Hotel de Ville and concert in church - 5 minutes walk away.  Vide greniers, Emauss & brocantes?

Having lived in London, we can succesfully avoid loud and demanding Americans for a start, wonderfully clear here, well apart from the odd one.

Culture, what culture !! better in UK by a mile. Whoops not the question asked....

Grumble about Chirac, Grumble about "Sarky" Grumble about grumble....

Going to flipping village & school Loto for Daughters sake and smiling grimly whilst eating cold crepes and flat cider but not for some while now, thankfully !!

Blow raspberries and gesticulate regularly at all the SAV staff. Wife simply says she didn't get none of this grief at Tescos !

Sponsor (one of fifty sponsors !!) the local petanque team. Won my first "serious" game in 35 years (village mixed pairs)a few years ago and then retired whilst at the top, the following day. Kept the foot high plastic (but it looked like it was made of gold somehow?)trophy though.

Watch VO films in cinema but have sat through a few French language films but do prefer to watch them at home cause if I miss a vital "passage", I find I am playing catch up for a while !

Drive around roundabouts or pull out in front of someone with blinkers on (this French system of driving, avoids eye contact, therefore road rage cannot happen !)

Use my local PMU with impunity but now am seriously avoiding that stupid instant game every few minutes on the box.

Walk out without paying for drinks from said PMU, as I am so terribly forgetful, sadly the patron is sharp as a pin and never forgets.

Drive French LHD car (Aha don't forgot that one !!)

No bullfighting oop here so watch the Monday night Students Vs Gendarmes mobiles (or is it the CRS) fighting in Rennes instead.

Get given home made cider from a neighbour (no Champagne around here !!)and eggs, cause they have all our food waste from p.d.j and evening meals(pretty recipricol eh)

And there's more as that Irish comedian once said.................

Blige me, Is BigDil still about

Just a different way of behaving with other people - kissing friends, shaking hands with people in more formal situations or even people like the man delivering the parpaings, greeting everyone when one walks into a shop or waiting room and saying goodbye when leaving, using monsieur and madame. Its just become so automatic now that I am embarrassing people in the UK when I go back there!

Motorhead - I'm getting into the habit of sticking my leg out whenever a car pulls over to let me pass.

so its a french thing! I even go out of my way to let them (you) pass to see if they do it

Oh and that git that said 'Sucessfully avoid brits'

ERM HELLO
why feel the need to speak to the hatred brits on the internet then (I suspect a Volvo estate and labrador - no offense!)

• Getting involved with activities ie taking part in a carnival parade not just watching
  • "Tu"ing and "vous"ing and fathoming out when to use which
  • Kissing on cheeks
  • Thanking people for their generosity
  • Becoming egg bound (Why does my neighbour have 60 chickens if there are only two of them to eat the eggs - he gives me 50 at a time!)
  • Avoiding loud nationalilties of any sort 
  • Preserving
  • Eating an entire 4 course meal outdoors and on one plate

WOW Mrs MDW, don't you find the french LOUD!

We were out with friends from England a few weeks ago and could hardly hear ourselves speak above the racket in the resto, which I don't usually notice, but our friends were looking rather surprised at the din.

I do all sorts of things quite naturally now, it is when I am in another country that I realise what I am doing is not quite what is expected.

The very first thing I took to immediately, and was not done in the UK when I left was have my bag strap over my head and the strap across my chest, instead of the strap perched on my shoulder. Now that used to get some very strange looks when I was back in England all those years ago.

Pick up my bag of lovely fresh veg every morning, that has been left hanging on the garden fence by my neighbour.

Unless she feels like a cry, then she brings it into the house 

My neighbour used to do that too-often it was a bottle of home made pineau as well.I gave him things back,like shortbread and whisky.He shot himself,fatally!!Rather sobering.!! There is not a lot to do in the winter,altho in the summer there are various processions and fetes a plenty.