What French things do you do?

SaligoBay

I agree about the kissing.  I found that I used to be a bit coy about giving pecks on cheeks, but now it seems quite normal although around here (Mayenne) it seems 2 on each cheek is the norm.  And that's only the men It takes ages to say goodbye to a group of people.

The other one is probably a brit thing in France.  Talking about the ins and outs of your Fosse Septique.  I can't ever remember talking to friends in the uke about the workings of my toilet

weedon

[quote]Motorhead - I'm getting into the habit of sticking my leg out whenever a car pulls over to let me pass. so its a french thing! I even go out of my way to let them (you) pass to see if they do it ...[/quote]

**ERM HELLO

why feel the need to speak to the hatred brits on the internet then (I suspect a Volvo estate and labrador - no offense!)**

Lighten up. it was only a jibe! I don't hate anyone. Just like you do, I avoid certain people I don't like regardless of where they come from. Volvos are good cars and labs are nice dogs but I wouldn't own either one.

Didn't I read where you are going back to the UK? All moves are a PITA. Hope yours goes smoothly for you.

The old git

[quote]Motorhead - I'm getting into the habit of sticking my leg out whenever a car pulls over to let me pass. so its a french thing! I even go out of my way to let them (you) pass to see if they do it ...[/quote]

I have a Volvo !

and a labrador !

and I am French ! 

and I just CAN NOT avoid Brits !!

however hard I try !!

[quote]I don't think there are any French things that I do apart from the kissing thing with freinds, but here's a few French things that I would not dream of doing in any country: 1. use somebody elses gar...[/quote]

Hello,

Sounds like what we left behind in UK.

We relax, smile and give thanks that we are here. The biggest event we have experienced here, that would never have happened in UK is my husbands heart surgery and subsequent treatment.

Forever grateful

Aileen

[quote]Hello, Sounds like what we left behind in UK. We relax, smile and give thanks that we are here. The biggest event we have experienced here, that would never have happened in UK is my husbands heart ...[/quote]

**We relax, smile and give thanks that we are here. The biggest event we have experienced here, that would never have happened in UK is my husbands heart surgery and subsequent treatment.**

Same here, Aileen. Glad your husband is okay. I spent a week in the hospital here a couple of years ago and thanked God I was here.

Ray, before you said something like moving is always a FITA (or PITA?). What does it stand for?

Not sure if these things are 'French' things, so much as 'country' things.

Organised randonées with people from all over France.

Organised bike rides.

Attend a good number of 'do's in the village, at which I am waltzed around the room (I can't claim I waltz myself), and sometimes eat my cheese/desert off the bottom of my upturned plate.

Kiss teenage boys

Grow vegetables

Eat vegetables

Stand happily waiting in huge queues while shop person chats on phone.

Last but not least...... SARKO WATCH

[quote]Ray, before you said something like moving is always a FITA (or PITA?). What does it stand for? Not sure if these things are 'French' things, so much as 'country' things. Organised randonées with p...[/quote]

**Ray, before you said something like moving is always a FITA (or PITA?).**

PITA= Pain in the a**.

[quote]**ERM HELLOwhy feel the need to speak to the hatred brits on the internet then (I suspect a Volvo estate and labrador - no offense!)**Lighten up. it was only a jibe! I don't hate anyone. Just like y...[/quote]

That was a very kind and understanding response Ray.

[quote]That was a very kind and understanding response Ray.[/quote]

**That was a very kind and understanding response**

Just an explanation, NannyP. And welcome to the forum!

Tell us a bit about yourself and if we can be of any assistance we will be glad to help.

[quote]**That was a very kind and understanding response**Just an explanation, NannyP. And welcome to the forum!Tell us a bit about yourself and if we can be of any assistance we will be glad to help.[/quote]

Thanks, and I won't do that here, since this thread is about other stuff.

Hoping to come out to live next year

french things that i do...

say good morning / afternoon / evening to people

make conversation with shop keepers / assistants

make eye contact with people and smile

unfortunately they then look at me as if i'm simple, gather their wife /girlfriend /children / pets close and hurry away muttering something about strange people.

but then that's me forgetting that i'm back in the uk after another visit...

hopefully not long now until i don't have to think about where i am...

[quote]french things that i do... say good morning / afternoon / evening to people make conversation with shop keepers / assistants make eye contact with people and smile unfortunately they then look at ...[/quote]

**hopefully not long now until i don't have to think about where i am...**

LOL!!

not sure if that made sense.

but you go from walking head up, looking at and acknowledging people, to head down in a hurry, no-one making ( or wanting ) any contact

however, we hope that if things work out okay then we can have a permanent home instead of a holiday home.

as a contributor earlier said, it can take ages to buy bread, in fact it can take ages to actually get into the shop, but it never seems a chore.

i suppose it's all about stopping to smell the roses, and maybe the french exercise their sense of smell more that we brits do...