Value bargain or not?

Val_2

We live on a fairly tight budget here due to french income so when I found Carrefour doing a value washing powder in 5kg boxes for the sum of 2,72€ for 33 washes as against my normal Super U 2,97kg/27 washes for 4,50€ or more I was pleased. Havn't used it yet but it smells nice so will report on the cleaning results. As I see it, why pay more when you don't have too and some of these supermarket value products now are very good indeed. Anyone else found some good products lately cheaper than brand names?

I have used one of Carrefours cheap own brand and couldn't see any difference between that compared to the dear ones.

Now there are some of the expensive makes that are all singing and dancing in their cleaning power, that is what they say anyway, well they do not shift any spots from my home made italian tomatoe sauce.

And on this subject has anyone else bought Cillitbang and did it actually do anything at all.

TU

Cillitbang - sorry TU can't help you there, never heard of it!

Can't use cheap washing powder 'cos a) it blocks up the fosse and b) it gives hubby a rash. We are now using Dash 2 in 1 although I would like to use something cheaper on all his work clothes!!

We are on tight budget also and majority of shop is done at Lidl and local market (Ha! we are in the process of weaning cats onto cheapo cat food - at present they are fooled!)

Tu - I would NEVER use Cillitbang - I have heard bad reports about it and think there may be something on the Money Saving expert site.

If you have some I would 'google' it first !

On the cleaning front I have never had any luck with Vanish stain remover either although I notice my latest washing machine has a programme especially for these 'stain removal' boosters.

Re cheap detergents - I think if you do a search of sites like 'Everyday Cheapskate' and 'E - how' there are recipes for money saving formulations.

Cillitbang...absolutly NO bang what so ever.  Found it to be no better than any other cleaning stuff, for about twice the price.

Have seen washing powder reviews (can't locate it at the moment) that showed that Lidl washing powders to be just as good (and even in some cases, better) than the expensive branded stuff.  So being on a tight budget does not always mean putting up with poorer results.

Is it a myth or is there only one washing powder factory in France?  Gilles swears it is true.

I like Carrefour.  I don't go every week as it is so far away but when I do go I buy loads of stuff on promo.  I have bought their Fresh washing tablets.  Is that the one you mean?  Still, their own brands have to be good or people would soon stop buying them and they have a reputation to think about.  I use the Super U tablets on 30° and am quite satisfied.

Speaking of promo, it was here before 7.00 this morning so I shall wait until tomorrow to buy my fish when cod and haddock are cheap at Super U.

I love the promo

I am a great fan of Cilit bang, its the same product here as the UK, it does work well on what it is designed for, rust marks limescale removal and removing burnt on stuff on cookers, its not a general kitchen cleaner and you have to let it do its work, not just wipe it up as soon as applied

And Vanish, well that also does what it says on the tin, very good experiences with red wine removal from fabrics.

I decided not to use Cillit bang because I didn't know who Barry Scott was, so decided it was a stupid advert.

Then when I discovered that Barry Scott didn't actually exist (i.e played by an actor) I was even more determined not to buy it in the hope that the makers would go back to the ad agency and say "Your stupid advert didn't work".

I buy the LeClerc  ECO (cheap) brand laundry detergent and find it works very well.  I still like to use OMO now and then, but really can't afford to pay the difference, so.....

I also found that the LeClerc ECO mayonnaise tastes more like mayo without dijon added to it.  The fact that it is dirt cheap only adds to the pleasure.

I also like most of Auchan's store brand products too. 

Still like the Lidl (3 ply) loo paper too.  It is a good price and the right thickness (not too thick, not too thin).

On the same line though, don't like Leader Price's or Lidl's Feta Cheese.  Have to have Salakis brand, just tastes so much better.

I am always keen to try the cheaper brands of things.  If I don't like them, I just won't buy them next time, but very often, I DO like them and save a small fortune over time.

>>I am a great fan of Cilit bang, its the same product here as the UK, it does work well on what it is designed for, rust marks limescale removal and removing burnt on stuff on cookers, its not a general kitchen cleaner and you have to let it do its work, not just wipe it up as soon as applied

And Vanish, well that also does what it says on the tin, very good experiences with red wine removal from fabrics.<<<

Strange isn't it - I have heard tales of CillitBang doing more harm than good and clothes I used the Vanish additive with came out with marks where they had none before !! that happened twice I much prefer the more old Vanish rub on stick.

Had great success treating red wine with fairy liquid !!

Lidl, LeClerc, all the own-brand washing stuff seems okay to me.

I'm forbidden to bring anything into the house that smells of Savon de Marseille, Mr SB has taken a violent dislike to it.  Strange.

For those of you who don't watch French TV ads, I think you should know that Cillitbang is pronounced Silly Bong.  

I use a little bit of Omino bianco 100 in my wash and I find it does get rid of tomato based stains and other things.

Other query, few posts back Zeb mentioned that they don't use some sort of powder because it clogs up the fosse. I thought i'd read sometime ago that washing machine waste does not go to the fosse.Please let me know as I may have to change washing powder

I've been using the cheap stuff from carrefeour ("1" brand). It doesn't get things particularly clean but smells ok. I've also been using "eau ecarlate" for stain removing and that seems to do the job even on a cold wash.

Has anyone found an eco-friendly washing powder that doesn't smell like the inside of a hoors (mispelt on purpose) handbag? I'd like to be environmentally friendly, especially for our foss septique's sake, but am allergic to perfumes.

Gill

Viva

Older septic tanks will have the washing water going elsewhere but they are supposed to be illegal next year. The modern type take all the water from inside the house.

Many washing powders contain bleach which is bad in large amounts relative to the space inside the tank. Aggressive washing powders can cause a lot of lint in the run-off, this can clog up the epandage or filter beyond the tank particularly if it's man-made fibres.

Tag

They're called hoors in Glasgow too! 

"......Older septic tanks will have the washing water going elsewhere"

Yeh, all doing a Van Morrison and going "down the road"

Many places from Provence through the Doo Don and up to Brittany still have absolutely miles of places where the washing machine (and often the sink and bath water) simply evacuates in to a ditch or runs off down the road. Be a wonderful day in France when we no longer see this affair but don't hold your breath for a few good years yet !

"...They're called hoors in Glasgow too!"

They're called "Mysteries" in London

Hi Gill

If you want to be environmentally, fosse and skin friendly try the washing balls from Ecover. They work out very economical too, mine have been going strong for over two years now and are used at least three times a day. I use washing tablets for most white loads and a bit of Eau Ecarlate or Rubigine stain removers for tomato/fruit or grease spots, otherwise just the "balls". Washing feels softer too.

• 1 year later...