Logs

I am completing my purchase on Wednesday afternoon then going to stay in my new second home.

Although I am buying it fully furnished, it has been empty all winter and for heating only has an open fire.  Its likely to be cold and musty.  Opening the shutters for fresh air is not going to make it warmer!

My question is can I easily buy bags of logs and kindling from supermarkets/ petrol stations etc as I can in UK?  I will not have much time to look around but need to turn up and light a fire immediately and have no idea what may already be on site but I expect nothing.

[quote user="Stan Sreason"]

I am completing my purchase on Wednesday afternoon then going to stay in my new second home.

Although I am buying it fully furnished, it has been empty all winter and for heating only has an open fire.  Its likely to be cold and musty.  Opening the shutters for fresh air is not going to make it warmer!

My question is can I easily buy bags of logs and kindling from supermarkets/ petrol stations etc as I can in UK?  I will not have much time to look around but need to turn up and light a fire immediately and have no idea what may already be on site but I expect nothing.

[/quote]

I know it was your first question, "cold and musty" YES.

Opening the shutters could make it warmer, the temprature inside our tuffau stone building is often lower than the outside temprature mid morning so can blow out the cold stale air out.

Logs can be bought at Brico sheds, think about investing in a log burner, much more efficient safer and cleaner. Just a thought [:D]

I know the larger Brico sheds will have logs for you either in small quantities in net bags to get you started or by the Stair/stare/staer  not sure how that's spelt but think 'pallet load'.

I would definitely hunt out your local wood supplier as apart from likely being a bit cheaper you will be supporting local business and be seen to do so.  It works wonders for a happy integration into local life.

Just a thought but you could also invest in a little electric fan heater to get the air circulating and warm the place up a bit.

Congratulations on your move.  May you have many happy years there.

Thanks for your replies and your good wishes.

I have a log burner in UK and will certainly get a couple installed over the summer.  I buy my seasoned logs from the man who coppices the local estate so will look to do the same in France.

My query was to basically cover that first night between leaving the notaire in the late afternoon with a new set of keys and turning up, early evening to a cold musty house.

If I can find them on my drive to the house I will also buy a couple of oil filled radiators as I dont think one fire is going to be enough.

PS another question please if you have read this far.  How long should a completion meeting take?  There are no difficult clauses in the contract and both myself and the vendor (also english) will be present? All the cash is in place. I have heard that these can drag on for hours but I cant see why it should be long at all.

Stan ours took about an hour and a bit. From memory the Notaire reads everything out in front of both parties and you should ask any questions that you like and you get the answer then and there not like our solicitors writing back and forth and charging by the full stop [:D]

Good luck

EDIT: sorry missed Amy's post

About 2 hours for us including the pleasantries and tedious but neccessary reading and initialling of every page by both parties.

Bon chance in your new house.

Re logs, a chance to meet the neighbours perhaps if you have any, if you introduce yourself and ask where you might acquire a few logs at short notice to get you going, you might find them generous [;-)]

Good luck with your purchase but do arrange a meeting at your new house first, to inspect it prior to going to the notaire. The notaire will read out the clauses to you and then ask you if you accept the house in its current state ... well actually you really need to ensure that all is as agreed with your vendor. Most of the time things are fine but if there's anything not as agreed at this meeting, then you have time to sort it out and if necessary involve the notaire.

Good luck, and congratulations.

[quote user="nectarine"]Good luck with your purchase but do arrange a meeting at your new house first, to inspect it prior to going to the notaire. The notaire will read out the clauses to you and then ask you if you accept the house in its current state ... well actually you really need to ensure that all is as agreed with your vendor. Most of the time things are fine but if there's anything not as agreed at this meeting, then you have time to sort it out and if necessary involve the notaire. Good luck, and congratulations.[/quote]

Yes its going to be quite a day.  Landing in Limoges from Stansted at 10.30 then driving via the agent to the house, near Chef Boutonne to have the final pre completion viewing.  Then back to the Notaire in Ruffec for 14.30.

So 17.00, Mr Bricolage for logs and oil filled radiators [and torch - see below], 18.00 get into house, try to work out where all the switches are to put water and things back on.  Put bed linen in tumble dryer to warm it up. Roughly 19.30 half mile walk into nearest village to introduce myself at the only bar in the area, then later try and find my way back in the dark!!!

[quote user="Dave&Olive"]

hi ok

how far are you from Bressuire ?   having some delivered thursday  all dry ash  do you want his phone nos ?

Dave 

Just had a quick look on google maps.  We are 109k away, probably a bit far but thanks for the thought.

[quote user="P2"]

Buy an electric blanket in the UK to take with you - they are extremely expensive in France, well, at least the one (and there was only one option) that we bought in a November from Leclerc.

Paul

[/quote]  I bought my electric blankets from Aldi, 19.99 euros, 3 all night heat settings and pre-heat[:D] By the way, our meeting took just over 1 hour.

Back home but now the owner of 2 houses.

The agent turned up with 2 sacks of logs and some firelighters.  There was also a stack in the barn. Wednesday night was cold despite the fire (the only source of heat in the house since last summer). The settees were cold the beds icy and feeling damp.  By about midnight I wanted to be anywhere but there.

By Friday having had the fire lit continuously for 3 days, tidied up, got rid of loads of rubbish, opened all the windows, changed the locks and cut the grass we had lunch in T shirts in the sun in the garden.  Started to feel like ours.

It was a shame to close it all up again as it was warming up but wont be back till easter when I suppose we will go through it again, to a lesser extent.

Time then to take the pool cover off and see whats underneath.

Thanks for everyones good wishes.

PS the notaire was great, did the whole thing in English.  45 mins including calling the english solicitor to release the sterling purchase price.

"It was a shame to close it all up again as it was warming up but

wont be back till easter when I suppose we will go through it again, to

a lesser extent."

Unfortunately, unless you can afford to leave some heating on during the Winter this is all part of the joy of being of a second home
owner . [:(]

"Wednesday night was cold despite the fire (the only source of heat in

the house since last summer). The settees were cold the beds icy and

feeling damp." Electric blankets, hot water bottles, slippers and extra sweaters are a must.

"By about midnight I wanted to be anywhere but there."

Believe me, we have all been there and it does get better especially when the sun shines.[:)]

I think it will only get better and hopefully your house in France will give you much pleasure in the years to come.

Bon courage [:)]

Stan, congratulations!!!! The house will take a few days to heat up when you get there. It's always worth trying to locate local Trocs (secondhand stores), because you can often find oilfilled and electric radiators at a cheap price. Our local Troc had obviously just cleared out a small office since the store was filled with filing cabinets and desks and several electric radiators, all working, and a steal at 8euros each. For basic furniture, as well, you can find some good bargains.

have fun!