A Life!

Ken

1 hour ago, Ken said:

In which case I stand corrected. You got out of the cesspit and now live in a nice part of France. You see it is there isn't it, it's not all bad?

I moved from Winchester. Winchester is no cesspit. Everywhere I have lived in France I have enjoyed. One of the best places I lived was Bois Colombes which is the most densely populated area in Europe. Had a fantastic time.

Buying a house with a sea view or a mountain is not my thing. 

On 29/06/2023 at 07:33, alittlebitfrench said:

I moved from Winchester. Winchester is no cesspit. Everywhere I have lived in France I have enjoyed. One of the best places I lived was Bois Colombes which is the most densely populated area in Europe. Had a fantastic time.

Buying a house with a sea view or a mountain is not my thing. 

Then it is your constant condemning of France that gives the impression you lived in less salubrious surroundings!!

4 hours ago, Ken said:

Then it is your constant condemning of France…

Things like….France has become a very violent country. The police forces are law to themselves. The French education system is designed to make kids bored.

Seen the news today Ken ?

Btw…we had few cars, a bus, few shops burnt down last night. Urban fighting with the police.

12 hours ago, betise said:

I was going to ask that, if Ken watches the French news.

15 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

Things like….France has become a very violent country. The police forces are law to themselves. The French education system is designed to make kids bored.

Seen the news today Ken ?

Btw…we had few cars, a bus, few shops burnt down last night. Urban fighting with the police.

Of course. Over 2000 cars burnt, nearly a thousand properties damaged several Maries and Police stations destroyed, Bus stations burned and destroyed, the list is endless. yes, I have seen the news. I was waiting for your post. You seem to have a supporter in Betise too! 

There are many things wrong with policing in France and I have been critical in the past. What is happening now isn't happening all over France. You and the Media zoom in on the riots and then generalise giving support to the nonsense that France is a lawless country That simply isn't the reality. When did you last see rioting here in the Pays Basque or the Dordogne, perhaps Brittany or Normandy, how about the Centre? Stop generalising. Certainly the riots look spectacular, in any city or urban environment they would, why else are the cameras there and not focusing on the fetes here in the Pays Basque?

You feed on these riots as does the media because it suits yours, and theirs,  agenda and then claim to know France. It maybe that a State of emergency is declared, I don't know. I do know that policing in France has to change. Simply having battalions of Police at one end of the street whilst rioters stand at the other end isn't policing. Neither is it policing when they drive around six or eight in a van. 

The riots have been happening for years and occur in rundown urban areas all over the country, those of us living in the peaceful countryside have no real clue as to how bad it is because it doesn't really affect us but it is a massive problem for France and this latest episode will costs 000's of millions to put right. Image wise, it is a disaster with the Rugby World Cup only 100 days away and the Olympics taking place next year. 

The Lumpenproletariat have been at it here in Nantes too.  Heard fireworks last two nights, Malacoff is not to far away.  The estate agent who showed us our current flat told us, then, arguments there are settled with an AK 47.

3 hours ago, Ken said:

Of course. Over 2000 cars burnt, nearly a thousand properties damaged several Maries and Police stations destroyed, Bus stations burned and destroyed, the list is endless. yes, I have seen the news. I was waiting for your post. You seem to have a supporter in Betise too! 

There are many things wrong with policing in France and I have been critical in the past. What is happening now isn't happening all over France. You and the Media zoom in on the riots and then generalise giving support to the nonsense that France is a lawless country That simply isn't the reality. When did you last see rioting here in the Pays Basque or the Dordogne, perhaps Brittany or Normandy, how about the Centre? Stop generalising. Certainly the riots look spectacular, in any city or urban environment they would, why else are the cameras there and not focusing on the fetes here in the Pays Basque?

You feed on these riots as does the media because it suits yours, and theirs,  agenda and then claim to know France. It maybe that a State of emergency is declared, I don't know. I do know that policing in France has to change. Simply having battalions of Police at one end of the street whilst rioters stand at the other end isn't policing. Neither is it policing when they drive around six or eight in a van. 

What a load of tosh you have just written. 

The riots are all over France. North, South, East, West…they are happening in all major cities. And a lot in rual towns. And don’t think for one minute that kids are not travelling from rural areas to the city areas to join in.

It is not reported in French news, but there are burt out cars and buses littering the streets of Tours. A commercial centre was burt down also. Montargis (rural ville in 45) was badly hit.

And if you don’t think it effects everyone in France including yourself, think again. These riots will cost billions the taxpayer. 

• Thanks 1

When countries allow poor (and often immigrant populated) housing estates to grow they often end up becoming almost lawless so when police are called in they are heavy handed which breeds resentment and it's not uncommon for just one incident to spiral out of control. France has ignored the problem for decades but given the current worldwide attention it's  receiving it will be interesting to see if anything changes.     

10 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

When countries allow poor (and often immigrant populated) housing estates to grow they often end up becoming almost lawless so when police are called in they are heavy handed which breeds resentment and it's not uncommon for just one incident to spiral out of control. France has ignored the problem for decades but given the current worldwide attention it's  receiving it will be interesting to see if anything changes.     

I totally agree…..but there is a lot more going on here. 

There are a lot of gangs who have travelled from outside France who are taking advantage of the situation and doing some free shopping behind those who just want to attack the police or burn things down. Yesterday you could clearly spot gypsies charging the shops for example on tv.

France is quite a lawless and very violent country for many reasons. There is no escaping that.

Now we know how the shooting happened (the third passenger explained that the car was automatic and the drivers foot released from the brake when he was hit by the other policeman and the car then went forward. The other policeman was aiming at the kids leg but when his leg went up…he was shot by accident in the wrong place. 

So yeah…what a mess.

Blimey, Macron's cancelled his trip to Germany now.

Didn't King Charles's trip to France get cancelled not long ago, too?

The Foreign Office is advising Brits to think twice about going to France at the moment, and to make sure they have good travel insurance if they do. That's a bit of a laugh, seeing that insurance usually exempts anything to do with war, riots or civil disturbances...

7 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

What a load of tosh you have just written. 

The riots are all over France. North, South, East, West…they are happening in all major cities. And a lot in rual towns. And don’t think for one minute that kids are not travelling from rural areas to the city areas to join in.

It is not reported in French news, but there are burt out cars and buses littering the streets of Tours. A commercial centre was burt down also. Montargis (rural ville in 45) was badly hit.

And if you don’t think it effects everyone in France including yourself, think again. These riots will cost billions the taxpayer. 

'It is not reported in French news, but there are burt out cars and buses littering the streets of Tours. A commercial centre was burt down also. Montargis (rural ville in 45) was badly hit.'

So you are privy to what is going on? Yes it will cost a lot. As for every major city, well perhaps your geography need adjusting! And no, it doesn't affect me. You have an agenda, what is it?

6 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

I totally agree…..but there is a lot more going on here. 

There are a lot of gangs who have travelled from outside France who are taking advantage of the situation and doing some free shopping behind those who just want to attack the police or burn things down. Yesterday you could clearly spot gypsies charging the shops for example on tv.

France is quite a lawless and very violent country for many reasons. There is no escaping that.

Now we know how the shooting happened (the third passenger explained that the car was automatic and the drivers foot released from the brake when he was hit by the other policeman and the car then went forward. The other policeman was aiming at the kids leg but when his leg went up…he was shot by accident in the wrong place. 

So yeah…what a mess.

So, you believe the press? What's more you can recognise gypsies!!!!  If I had to rely on you in a courtt of law, well I wouldn't bother!!

This adds an extra drop of fuel to the fire;

https://www.lindependant.fr/2023/07/01/mort-de-nahel-la-cagnotte-de-soutien-au-policier-qui-a-tire-sur-le-jeune-de-17-ans-recolte-largement-plus-de-dons-que-celle-pour-la-famille-de-ladolescent-11314767.php

60,000€ support raised for the mother of the boy killed

250,000€  support for the policeman who did the deed

Anyone simply believing press reports need certifying! They're a one or two here!!!  Because people and the press come down on one side or the other then that is, for them, the truth because it agrees with their beliefs.  The reality is a yob was shot by a Policeman, we don't know the circumstances but decide we know what is 'real'! We don't! What we do know is that Policing in France is very poor, hence the riots!

What we do know for a fact, from the autopsy report, is that he was shot in the arm, but the shot ricocheted. That is certain.  All the rest, the supposed point blank shot to the head or chest, the temoinage of the passenger, the stories circulating on the social networks, is just so much speculation or blame deflecting.

10 hours ago, betise said:

What we do know for a fact, from the autopsy report, is that he was shot in the arm, but the shot ricocheted. That is certain.  All the rest, the supposed point blank shot to the head or chest, the temoinage of the passenger, the stories circulating on the social networks, is just so much speculation or blame deflecting.

Precisely, but for some they prefer the speculative nonsense in the media and social networks because it agrees with their agenda.  I can understand people who hate discipline and law and order feeding on the rubbish but I fail to understand people who should be intelligent enough to know better!!! Perhaps 'should be intelligent enough' is the key phrase!!

We have seen a lot of damage over the past few months in Nantes, many shop windows broken etc.  I suppose the down stream effects on insurance for these people will be increased i costs, leading to more closures.  For individuals there is also the incomprehension as to why centres that actually help people on a daily basis have been destroyed.  Another very unwelcome effect is on those who insure their cars for the minimum (tiers).  As this chap has found out, fire was not covered.

https://www.francelive.fr/article/france-live/sa-voiture-a-ete-incendiee-pendant-les-emeutes-son-assurance-ne-prendra-rien-en-charge-8092748/

At least these people have insurance, even if it is the minimum.

1 hour ago, Lehaut said:

We have seen a lot of damage over the past few months in Nantes, many shop windows broken etc.  I suppose the down stream effects on insurance for these people will be increased i costs, leading to more closures.  For individuals there is also the incomprehension as to why centres that actually help people on a daily basis have been destroyed.  Another very unwelcome effect is on those who insure their cars for the minimum (tiers).  As this chap has found out, fire was not covered.

https://www.francelive.fr/article/france-live/sa-voiture-a-ete-incendiee-pendant-les-emeutes-son-assurance-ne-prendra-rien-en-charge-8092748/

At least these people have insurance, even if it is the minimum.

The knock on effect regarding insurance will affect all of us. Insurance companies don't exist to make a loss! Premiums across the board are likely to rise particularly car insurance. If reports are in anyway near accurate over 7000 cars were destroyed. Some, as per your example, may not be able to claim but I would think most will.

As to why these people destroy their own neighbourhoods: I would hazard a guess and say that the rioters, in the main, do not have access or the money to use the services they destroy. Looting is a much better option!! As rioters are probably drawn from various districts  destroying local infrastructure won't trouble them.

Policing and community work has to change in France or this will continue on the huge scale it does. I know of no other country where rioting is almost a national sport! Every country has its occasional civil upset resulting perhaps in some broken windows and the Police having to move in but nothing like the scale that is a regular occurrence here. I really do believe it is the Policing that is largely to blame. It's not the 'ordinary' policeman but rather the methods and system that is at fault and that is the responsibility of senior officers and politicians.

Pictures of Policemen whacking people with sticks isn't what Policing is about at all and will only further alienate the Police from the Public. Perhaps a strange paradox is that over a million euros has been raised for the Policeman who shot the youth and less than 200.000 for the family!!! Police reform and community projects are not just necessary but essential .

12 minutes ago, Ken said:

The knock on effect regarding insurance will affect all of us. Insurance companies don't exist to make a loss! Premiums across the board are likely to rise particularly car insurance. If reports are in anyway near accurate over 7000 cars were destroyed. Some, as per your example, may not be able to claim but I would think most will.

As to why these people destroy their own neighbourhoods: I would hazard a guess and say that the rioters, in the main, do not have access or the money to use the services they destroy. Looting is a much better option!! As rioters are probably drawn from various districts  destroying local infrastructure won't trouble them.

Policing and community work has to change in France or this will continue on the huge scale it does. I know of no other country where rioting is almost a national sport! Every country has its occasional civil upset resulting perhaps in some broken windows and the Police having to move in but nothing like the scale that is a regular occurrence here. I really do believe it is the Policing that is largely to blame. It's not the 'ordinary' policeman but rather the methods and system that is at fault and that is the responsibility of senior officers and politicians.

Pictures of Policemen whacking people with sticks isn't what Policing is about at all and will only further alienate the Police from the Public. Perhaps a strange paradox is that over a million euros has been raised for the Policeman who shot the youth and less than 200.000 for the family!!! Police reform and community projects are not just necessary but essential .

Funny Ken, I said earlier in the thread the riots will cost over a billion euros and I also said we will be paying for it.

You said ´I won’t’. Now you admitt you will.

You are also now believing reports (which is the media). But you said don’t believe what you read in the media.

Make your mind up Ken.

You are now giving us your analysis of how to solve the riot problem but you have never lived in any suburb in France…or cesspits as you call them.

Are you know going to admitt that these riots have also taken place in quit leafy towns across France ? They were not just confined to run down suburbs.

Or that a step to far for you at the moment.

Hmmmm ?