2 hours ago, Judith said:

Ken,

I do believe that Menthe knows more than enough about walking (lost track of how long she's been doing it, including Santiago), and IMHO, given the conditions she described, it would have been irresponsible as well as foolish to set of in such conditioins.  I've done my fair share of walking in wet weather over the years, Lake District inlcuded when rain can be dangerous as well) and experience counts for more than supposed courage, which in some cases would be labelled stupidity. 

Not I am not accusing anyone  of stupidity on here, but we had friends in the Yorkshire Dales Fell and Cave Rescue teams and some of their stories of stupid walkers were hair raising.

Poor scorn on inexperienced walkers (even when they might be your despised tourists who pay the wages of many in our southern areas), but not on experienced walkers like Menthe who took a sensible decision to forego their walk.

There is walking, and then again there is 'walking', Santiago!!! A stroll in the park for anyone capable of putting one foot in front of the other. Distance doesn't equate to experience in mountain craft, conditions or anything else.  I thought I was conversing with someone who walks in the mountains, with all that entails, that was the impression given. Obviously that is not the case. I would agree that  making a decision to not walk in the mountains because of adverse weather is a good decision but that is light years away from being an experienced mountain walker who can accommodate bad weather in bad conditions. I don't pour scorn on anyone wise enough to not be in the mountains in bad weather I do, however,  hope that people wouldn't assume that because they walk around the foothills in good weather they assume they are experienced mountain walkers, or try to give that impression!!

9 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

@Ken, I don't know what the problem is but there is simply no need for the constant rudeness, put downs and aggression in many of your posts. Would you converse like this around a dinner table with friends?

In reply to your question, yes ; of course. You see, with friends you can talk freely without causing offence. Here, people take offence at the slightest criticism resulting in accusations, such as yours, which foster further argument. 

I so hope that no one other than Ken thinks I have given the impression  I am "an experienced mountain walker".  How he got that impression I do not know.  Does anyone else think I gave that impression?

No, I am a nordic walker and so my walks are not normally up mountains; steep hills maybe but not mountains.  Though I HAVE done the Tour du Mont Blanc many years ago.

What I have often said is that I LOVE walking in mountainous areas.  This is because there is something about the majesty of mountains and the something about the air.  Strangely enough, despite my asthma, my breathing is never worse when I am high up.  I have been in the area called Little Siberia in Switzerland in the winter when it was -32° and never felt worse for it.

Anyway, in our walks and wandering, we have moved far from Woolly's topic of rain.  Yes, a lot of rain so I am keeping my fingers crossed that we would not encounter too much of it to stop us walking🙂

Judith I am sending you a PM in the next few minutes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, menthe said:

I so hope that no one other than Ken thinks I have given the impression  I am "an experienced mountain walker".  How he got that impression I do not know.  Does anyone else think I gave that impression?

No, I am a nordic walker and so my walks are not normally up mountains; steep hills maybe but not mountains.  Though I HAVE done the Tour du Mont Blanc many years ago.

What I have often said is that I LOVE walking in mountainous areas.  This is because there is something about the majesty of mountains and the something about the air.  Strangely enough, despite my asthma, my breathing is never worse when I am high up.  I have been in the area called Little Siberia in Switzerland in the winter when it was -32° and never felt worse for it.

Anyway, in our walks and wandering, we have moved far from Woolly's topic of rain.  Yes, a lot of rain so I am keeping my fingers crossed that we would not encounter too much of it to stop us walking🙂

Judith I am sending you a PM in the next few minutes

"I love the Pays Basque and have had umpteen wonderful walking holidays there over many years."  When someone says that, which is a direct quote, I think it reasonable that the impression given is of an experienced mountain walker!The pays Basque isn't known for its 'Nordic walking' because it happens to be a mountainous region!! 

Even saying that you LOVE walking in mountainous regions implies mountain walking so please, less of the injured party!!!

Don't rise to it Menthe.

As an aside your description of your walks peaked my interest and I did a quick google search. There are any number of tours offering Nordic walks in the Pays Basque and I have to admit the scenery looks wonderful. I've half a mind to book a trip myself once my ankle's sorted. 

There is also swimming in the Pays Basque, horse riding; camping, guided tours of abandoned villages; any number of things to do here but the point is Menthe said Mountain walking not 'Nordic walking'! Half a mind!! That just about sums it up!!

2 hours ago, DaveLister said:

Don't rise to it Menthe.

As an aside your description of your walks peaked my interest and I did a quick google search. There are any number of tours offering Nordic walks in the Pays Basque and I have to admit the scenery looks wonderful. I've half a mind to book a trip myself once my ankle's sorted. 

DL, you won't regret choosing the Pays Basque.  From my first sight of it back in 2010, I have been intrigued by all it has to offer.

Besides the walks, there are many other things peculiar to the PB.  Restos serving traditional Basque food, the songs and chants, the culture of wonderful ginormous trouts (made possible by the numerous vigorous mountain streams) and the many tales of spirits and legends.  Of course, you have to find out too about the smugglers and er....dodgy characters that live there!

Some years ago, Norman who understands my fascination for the Pays Basque, sent me a video link about Coelho (the writer and philosopher) who chose the PB as a place to make a home.

And, of course, it is a gateway to the Spanish part of the Compostelle and so at its frontier with Spain, you could literally meet just about every nationality in the world.

I have explored various bits of the Pyrenees themselves, but no further East than Ariège and that's another great place to walk in.

I know a little about the Pays Catalan as I had friends who used to live there.  They used to say they were Catalan first, French second, and Spanish third. In the days pre Schengen they would often take the odd hike into the mountains to do a spot of 'personal shopping' In fact there used to be a great restaurant just over the border that had a small shop attached. You used to park your car in France then walk past the unused customs barrier for a slap up meal and some cheap booze and fags. I would say the scenery in that area  is just as magnificent and well worth a visit.    

Yes, I know the resto with attached😂 shop.  Might perhaps visit it again;  Run by lovely people.

You could get French wines and apéritifs at Spanish prices!

Alas, hardly drink at all now or I WOULD be tempted to buy a litre bottle of whisky to give the French a treat!

MUCH better l'apéro than Pineau des Charentes😜