We've had regular rain showers and some days of steady light rain here in Brittany.

Meteo is of the opinion that there will be a breakdown in the hot weather shortly.

"Storms will affect a large part of France next week

On Monday, new stormy bursts are expected from Aquitaine going up towards a vast northeast quarter. These storms will be strong, locally violent, with powerful gusts of wind, hailstorms, and intense downpours. 

This very stormy weather with the risk of severe thunderstorms should continue at least until next Thursday."

16-06 -23 

https://meteofrance.com/actualites-et-dossiers/actualites/previsions/meteo-vers-une-importante-degradation-orageuse

Funny how they can predict the climate with absolute millimetric accuracy ( the science is settled etc) but when it comes to weather we would be better off with seaweed and chicken bones.

Edited by Harnser
  • Haha 1

Thanks, I check meteofrance and others regularly, no longer trust any of them.

But there is something else going on too; several times in the last ten or so nights there have been thunderlike noises rolling across the sky, far, far too noisy for regular planes. I can only suppose they are those huge U S transport planes bringing whatever for Ukraine but not flying too high. Weird or what?

We live in a sort of "intermediate" zone.  About along the line that usually divides the météo into northern and southern France.  Sometimes the forecast is spot on and sometimes it's completely the opposite.

East of us, you are into Limousin country and south of us the Lot and Garonne area.  Both those are hotter in summer and colder in winter.  However, we are not in the "maritime" zone as we used to be in the previous house.

Today, for example, I didn't wash the bedding because storms were forecast but I see blue sky stretching as far as the horizon.

It's been a bumper year for cherries and mulberries but the fig tree seems to have all leaves and very little fruit.  The things I don't want to grow like the hedges and grass (and weeds of course) are sprouting like trifids.  Growing a lot more vigorously than I have ever remembered.

Everywhere I look, I sometimes think I see portents that do not bode well for all our futures.  OTOH, I have been engrossed in a fantasy story about moles (to rival the hobbits) and I am getting a bit too gullible in my dotage!

Alas, they don't shun it.  Summertime and they come in their droves with the Brits buying up all the wines and the French all the Charentais melons.

By Monday, all the supermarket shelves are empty.  You see whole families of overfed people and I think well there's the obesity pandemic going on right there!😏

Today, there is a strange, very warm wind, banging the shutters and shaking all the ripe fruit from the trees.

I long for the mountains and indeed will be off for a few days' walking in the Pays Basque, in the higher parts and I shall imagine I could soar up there with the birds.

See, told you I am living in Fantasy Land, didn't I?

28 minutes ago, anotherbanana said:

Menthe, maybe you or anyone else who sees lots of Brit tourists, can tell me whether it is obligatory for Brit men to shave their heads and then rub on some sort of shiny polish so that they seem to glow in the dark?

The only British around here tend to be lost trying to get back onto the A10 to go to the Dordogne and the Lot and all of the rest of that misery.

They tend to drive camper vans, have no teeth, and can’t speak a word of French.

But to be fair, not much French is spoken around here anyway.

albf, I have lived in seven different countries and spent less than a third of my life in UK more in France which makes me a kind of stateless mongrel, I guess. Whoever the Brits are that I have in mind, I dont know them, understand their values or particularly like them.

3 minutes ago, anotherbanana said:

albf, I have lived in seven different countries and spent less than a third of my life in UK more in France which makes me a kind of stateless mongrel, I guess. Whoever the Brits are that I have in mind, I dont know them, understand their values or particularly like them.

Peeps are the same the world over.

Just a different coloured flag.

12 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

You are a Brit you numbty…lol.

When you get up in the morning and look in the mirror…do you say to yourself ´not many Brits about’….😄

I'm a numpty! 'Not many Brits about here' Meaning 'there aren't many Brits about here'!! What's wrong with that? Incidentally, here in the pays Basque we (being one of the not many Brits) have had nearly 80 mm of rain this month. Reading the other posts, why on earth live in those places if you don't like it? 

1 hour ago, DraytonBoy said:

What has the lack of your fellow countrymen locally got to do with rain?

That's easy, Two things that keep me happy: sufficient rain to keep everything beautiful and no  , pot bellied drunks wanting fish and chips! I would have thought it was obvious! I'm afraid my 'fellow countrymen, and women' by and large, are shameful when abroad. 

1 hour ago, Ken said:

..., pot bellied drunks wanting fish and chips! I would have thought it was obvious! I'm afraid my 'fellow countrymen, and women' by and large, are shameful when abroad. 

We really shouldn't start stereotyping people.  Where on earth would it end?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ken said:

That's easy, Two things that keep me happy: sufficient rain to keep everything beautiful and no  , pot bellied drunks wanting fish and chips! I would have thought it was obvious! I'm afraid my 'fellow countrymen, and women' by and large, are shameful when abroad. 

You are describing France you numbty again. Just substitute fish and ships with Kabab or Mc Dos and what you are describing is the majority of France.

I took my kids to that very nice shopping centre in Basingstoke and they were horrified to see how fat and disfigured the majority of people who were shopping there looked…..mostly dressed in pajamas.

Now I spend my time pointing out the same in France. It is the same.

Same peeps the world over….different coloured flag.

3 hours ago, betise said:

We really shouldn't start stereotyping people.  Where on earth would it end?

No stereotyping going on. I said "by and large" and I stand by  that. Pot bellied and drunk are all too common a factor with Brits abroad. Just to add a little oil to this fire, I would hazard a guess that just about the majority of people on this site are fat or obese!! They are usually the ones who try to excuse the malaise!!

2 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

You are describing France you numbty again. Just substitute fish and ships with Kabab or Mc Dos and what you are describing is the majority of France.

I took my kids to that very nice shopping centre in Basingstoke and they were horrified to see how fat and disfigured the majority of people who were shopping there looked…..mostly dressed in pajamas.

Now I spend my time pointing out the same in France. It is the same.

Same peeps the world over….different coloured flag.

Maybe where you live, which I doubt is the 'majority' Try living in a decent place. In the Pays Basque  people have respect for themselves and are very sporty minded. Pot bellies are seen only on pigs and rarely on humans!