Incredulous!

Gluestick

Having in the past been taking tea in the old Ritz Hotel in Picadilly on the first day of Ascot Week, it was always a haven for the great and the good who retreated for a decent pot of tea and thinly sliced cucumber sandwiches and other traditional British Summertime delicacies, and a rest, prior to  a long bath in their suites, no doubt before changing for dinner.

This picture in the London Metro on Friday suggests that the subjects are "Well dressed ladies.......................!

Well, perhaps it's me, but to my rather cynical eye they remind me of a gang of schlappers, overdressed to the nines in typical appalling taste on their annual jolly outing to some refined seaside resort such as Margate or Clacton!

See here!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously never been taught how to sit in a short skirt as I was!  Never ceasses to amaze me how little dress sense both sexes have to day, mutton dressed as lamb in many cases, slavishly following fashion with not the faintest idea whether it suits them or not.  Growing old gracefully knowing what suits is a lost art it seems (except for those of us of a certain age .......!!)  And don't get me started on those who wear black when it's the last colour they should wear.  Non-colour as far as I'm concerned, for funerals and the occasional serious business meeting (for the latter contrasted with bright red or some such non funereal colour is the only way I'm prepared to consider it).  I gather the black and white this year was to "celebrate" the 50th (?) anniversary of Beaton's costumes in My Fair Lady!!!!

On a similar note, another young maiden with wonderfully restrained taste in her choice of wedding attire............................................

One wonders in which lap dancing club her intended spouse first made her acquaintance?

[IMG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/Michaeleff/SchlapperBride.jpg[/IMG]

I was sitting at my 'puter on Friday, browsing the forum during the dull-as-ditchwater fashion rubbish bits of Royal Ascot (why we have to watch this drivel during the best week of flat racing in the year, is beyond me) when my o/h walked in.  Pointing at the "style gurus" on screen he said "And they have the cheek to tell other people how to dress?"  Summed it up for me.

Dress for yourself.  Feel comfortable and happy.  St*ff whatever anybody else thinks.

Maybe you all can help me........

I'm going to a wedding in the UK in october , and I wonder what I should wear.. Apparently women wear hats for weddings in the UK..

Is it necessary to wear a dress? what about an elegant " tailleur pantalon" ?

We went out to lunch on Tuesday and spent several minutes wondering what the female in the sleeveless, tight black dress, no hosiery (but fake tan)  and bright pink fascinator (its a hat, guys [:)] ) opposite was actually doing, pacing the pavement with that 'must have' mobile phone clutched to her ear outside the local pub - given it was already 1pm, even though we are only about 30 mins from Ascot, she would have been unfashionably late...and just plain unfashionable actually [6]

[quote user="Frenchie"]

I'm going to a wedding in the UK in october , and I wonder what I should wear.. Apparently women wear hats for weddings in the UK..

[/quote]

Depends on the wedding, Frenchie.

Oftimes, as one might say, people have these days, surreal perspective to wedding attire!

I would suggest that you discretely, try some background research.

It used to be de rigeure for ladies to wear hats in any church, as a mark of respect. No real lady, of course, would dare go out when dressed without a hat and gloves.

However in these denim infested days of unisex with women having shaved heads and flat chests and men having long hair and wearing makeup it becomes increasingly difficult to separate the sexes.

[:D]

Seriously though, some careful enquiries through the bride's family should provide decent responses.

[quote user="Frenchie"]

[/quote]

A dress is nice or an ensemble, 'fascinators' are faishionable - just a little 'confection' on a comb or alice band:

http://www.johnlewis.com/Fashion/Women's+Accessories/Fascinators/Fascinators/5544/ProductType.aspx

http://www.hatsnstuff.co.uk/

Thanks Gluestick, it will be quite a " big " wedding I know..

I will try to know more about the background, that s a very sensible answer..

I have a friend who  is a hat creator, she could make a hat for me, one suiting my clothes and face..

Oh lala .. I hope I will be OK ..

I'm quite apprehensive in fact..

Thanks RH, this is a hat my friend has made,  I think it is a bit like what you pointed, so I can imagine she could do one for me ..

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/Sophie.jpg[/IMG]

Now, what to wear? which colours are " acceptable" ?

Is white OK? or is it reserved to the bride?

Knowing about the background will be critical, oh French one.

For example it might be a morning dress affair. Toppers and tails; and then it is normally mandatory to dress for the occasion. Dress or suit with hat for the ladies.

Alternatively, it may be lounge suits and then a less formal dress is best.

The key is not to be either over-dressed if it's less formal: or underdressed if it is very formal.

Either way lies personal discomfort and embarassment.

One tip: if it is formal try and find out what colour the bridesmaids are wearing: not good to either clash or wear an identical colour.