Incredulous!

Gluestick

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="ErnieY"]

[quote user="Patf"]As you say Gluey, what is the point of marrying?[/quote]Call me an old fashioned foolish romantic but for me it's about commitment, and thats coming from someone who took a bride of a mere 16 summers when barely turned 18 myself. Who'd have given odds on that union lasting 40 years [kiss]

[/quote]

And I thought we were young at 20 and 21 when we married, still, we hit 40 years in a couple of months time. I agree about commitment.

Well, we were 21 and 22 and this April we hit our 44th year.

Of course we had problems along the way: don't all marriages at some time?

However, you work through them in my book.

A very few years back when meeting a newish friend's mother for the first time at a family party, the Mum thought we were newly weds, 'co we are still highly respectful of each other. We are best mates and try and always find something to laugh together about.

Most important of all, we are more in love now than ever before....................

Whilst working on a project in Silicon Valley Calif, a back in the 80s, I regularly met 40ish people who had already been married and divorced three times and who were just about to "Go again!"

Madness!

Trouble today for me is that relationships are treated like cars and washing machines: if you don't like it junk it and buy another.

No wonder bloody society's in the dire mess it is!

Apparently, a majority of young street oiks in trouble with the law come from one parent families.

Case proved, M'Lud.

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Hopefully, the theme might be a traditional English wedding.

You know:

The Bride and groom are attended by their five kids who are acting as junior bridesmaids and page boys.

The bride's father takes out a second mortgage (He'll be bloody lucky at present!), to pay for the photographer, a designer wedding dress with matching outfits for the bridesmaids and pages; the two hundred year old stage coaches, the videographer; the poet; the wedding organiser; and a wedding breakfast costing £20,000 in an old castle and for the evening, a babbling buffoon DJ who plays loud nasty noises at such a high sound level, all the guests can't hear properly for a month afterwards.

The best man boffs the senior bridesmaid: four of the bridegroom's friends fight with four of the bride's brothers and the police have to lock 'em all up.

The happy couple jet off to Bali and spend their honeymoon banging down Mai Tais and riding around on elephants when they are not scuba diving.

After three weeks they jet back to their new four bedroom detached house with a swimming pool, snooker room and a new  4 X 4.

And six months later they are planning a divorce!

[/quote]

But much more fun than Lah di Dah ing in the Ritz pretending to enjoy a boring cucumber sandwich, dont you think Gluey?

I used to visit the Ritz quite a bit in those days, JK: before the Arab buy out and make over.

Nothing wrong with a bit of top dollar service and style, once in a while.

The thing was, for me, the true Ascot crowd weren't posing: and having spent quite some time with such people, they did not "Put on airs and graces", it was all quite natural.

Anymore than the true Henley crowd were posing.

Years ago, Mrs Gluey was PA to a very wealthy gentleman who was married to one of the Mosley ladies and thus related to the Shand-Kyyds and Spencer family. He always used to say "New money shouts: old money whispers!"

And I actually rather like micro-thin cucumber sandwiches!

Just over the road also, is Brown's Hotel: a wondrous place for afternoon traditional tea in the Winter around the fire!

Exactly Gluey,  it is the new money sorts who feel they have something to prove that give me a headache too. Now TPT............what a girl!![:)]  I love her to bits and would love to be her best mate.

My husband has new best mate, Eton educated and heir to one of the worlds largest alcohol producing empires.  He is great fun too.  I really like these people myself.  They dont judge or brag do they?   I think they just like  to be part of whatever gang they chose tho hang out with.  Mind you, this guy can be a bit of a pain when he has had one over the top, if you know what I mean.

Many years ago while in Paris, I got dragged into the Ritz .  As you say Gluey, nothing wrong with a bit of top dollar service but I really think you pay for the name and get ripped off in the process dont you?  In my opinion, there are far more interesting places to visit.

I rather like style, JK: nothing nicer than Mrs G and I getting gussed up for the evening.

I enjoy wearing a dinner suit and love to see Mrs G in one of her full length evening dresses and all the other people gracefully and similarly attired.

Sadly, in so much, style is now passé. The new "Cool" seems to be dressing like a ragamuffin who has selected their clothes from the local tip!

And yes, I agree that too often, the glitziest places are a rip off: which is why I personally would never eat in one given the personal choice.

Having enjoyed an interesting life and travelled a bit, I've mostly been very dissappointed with the supposed "Best" eateries and found far better value elsewhere and all too often, much better food, too.

I well remember having to change my itinery in a rush over an emergency and instead of returning from Mexico on the old Pan Am clipper service, having to "Construct" a flight via San Antone and Houston with the main leg being Air France overnight flight back to Paris.

Being in first class (nice client!), the dinner was the best airline meal I've ever eaten. Wonderful choice of wine, in glass bottles served in glass glasses and a very good four course meal. And hugely attentive staff, all the time. Nice.

Even nicer 'cos I wasn't paying!

[:D]

I don't know what you would make of my 18 year old son Gluey.  On the last leg of our recent around the world trip, he sneaked his way into business class. 

He does not dress like a street oike or anything.  I reckon he looks a more like the 'new money sort'. 

Anyway, he rang his dad (yes I am still married to him[:)]) and told him about the lovely meal he was having and like you, he was well impressed with the glass drinking vessels and even more impressed with the chilled fine china plates for salad.

After he had eaten his supper, he sat at the bar.  Just him and the flight director who asked him why he was on the flight and why he was flying business class.  My son saw this as a great oppotunity to do a bit of blagging.  They shared a few cocktails then my son got bored and went back to his seat to enjoy a few more video games.

My son has always had the blagging gift but I was surprised this guy he drank with believed my son so easily.

Have you seen the film catch me if you can? [:D]

Enterprising lad, JK!

I used to know a man who had great presence and more front than the Empire State!

He often used to take his lady friend into London's gentlemen's clubs, order and enjoy a slap up luncheon and as he was leaving, ask the porter/doorman how his family were and chat to him as if he'd been going to the club for years!

No I haven't seen that film.

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Well, we were 21 and 22 and this April we hit our 44th year.

Of course we had problems along the way: don't all marriages at some time?

However, you work through them in my book...................Trouble today for me is that relationships are treated like cars and washing machines: if you don't like it junk it and buy another.

No wonder bloody society's in the dire mess it is!

Apparently, a majority of young street oiks in trouble with the law come from one parent families.

Case proved, M'Lud.[/quote]

Here here Gluey but to be fair broken families do not automatically oiks produce, but they do without doubt incredibly stack the odds against a positive outcome, even more so these days with legions of Vicky Pollards breeding the next generation.

I came from a broken and utterly dysfunctional background to the extent that, at 15 years of age and on the day I was legally able to leave school, I also packed a bag and left home too, I figured I couldn't make a worse job of it. I like to think I've had a modicum of success but without a shadow of a doubt the luckiest moment of my entire life was meeting my OH [:D] [:D]

Oh I do agree, Ern: unfortunately, I look at this pragmatically, from the opposite perspective.

Start with the anti-social criminally involved kids and look backwards and one finds an increasing incidence of absent fathers, mainly.

Quite a number of very successful people I've known (and by successful I don't only describe "Success" in financial terms: I mean in all ways) have come from one parent families and deprived backgrounds. In fact it does seem with life's "Winners" that those with less early benefit enjoy a greater level of desire for self-improvement. Having the one remaining parent who is a wonderful loving and caring person and a strong personality obviously helps: lots!

Unfortunately on "Sink" Estates and other places forgotten and virtually igored by Government and the rest of society, they have become a breeding ground for social breakdown and people failing to take any personal responsibility for their actions: such actions including siring kids who then become a drain on the benefits budget as well as a constant weeping sore, socially.

My son is very enterprising Gluey. He takes many guises.  He wore his Sunday best to carry out his little scam on the aeroplane and indeed totally fooled his drinking chum who, may have judge him very differently if he saw him in his 'oikewear' on a saturday afternoon.

Clothes are a very cheap tool to fool people don't you think?

Catch me if you can is a film starring Leonado di Caprio.  It is a true story of a fraudster.  I forget his name, but the man was a genius..... You should watch it.[:)].  He played the part and fooled the world

Yes Katie, clothes and other accoutrements are an excellent way to fool the gullible.

One gentleman who is now a household name, always used to rent a Rolls Phantom Limousine replete with chauffeur when setting out to beguile credulous fools.

Interestingly, due to the international nature of my work and the company in the 70s and early 80s, I met conmen and women from all over the globe. One gentleman sat in our boardroom during a meeting with myself and a co-director, opened his briefcase and started piling large glossy photos of "His tanker fleet" onto the boardroom table. He was well dressed and smoked a huge cigar.

He was staying at the Inn on the Park, and his doxy always used to answer the telephone with the wonderfully sounding words "Mr So and So's Suite!" Sounded very impressive. Except when I telephoned the hotel to check the room number it transpired to be somewhat larger than the broom cupboard...........

I do have a book in draft, on my experiences and the amazing characters I met in that period. That's another of my soon to be realised semi-retirement projects.

Having met a number of the protoypical glove trotting billionaires and worked with a few on certain projects, it always amazes me how totally unlike the public's perception they actually are.

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Yes Katie, clothes and other accoutrements are an excellent way to fool the gullible.

[/quote]

Exactly, and in many guise too.

Tuxedos, Oike Wear, and 'ladies at Ascot' outfits worn by The 'real' Ascot and Henley crowds or ragamuffins from sink estates with AWOL fathers. 

We can be who we want and fool who we want can't we? 

Personally, I try not to get 'sucked in' by anyone.  Even hubbies new 'best mate'

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Having met a number of the protoypical glove trotting billionaires and worked with a few on certain projects, it always amazes me how totally unlike the public's perception they actually are.

[/quote]

All depends if they are 'old money' or 'new money' [:D]

Back in those interesting times, Katie I knew one chap who did an arms deal and pocketed millions...............

All in an offshore account, natch.

So he bought a large house in a very select part of Surrey. One Saturday morning he was "beating the grounds" when he reached one of the border fences and for the first time met his new neighbour, a retired senior army officer.

After a couple of sentences of badinage, the ex army chap said, "Where d'yer go to school?" in clipped public school tones.

After the acquaintance said something like "Cheam Secondary Modern", the army type muttered something like, "Quaint.........." and thereafter never spoke to him again.

One can have the clothes; one can own some of the toys: but if one doesn't have the right background, then it doesn't matter a stuff.

That's what I always loved about motor sport and sailing: didn't matter really what background you came from; if you knew how to behave and shared the passion then that was all.

[quote user="Gluestick"]

After a couple of sentences of badinage, the ex army chap said, "Where d'yer go to school?" in clipped public school tones.

After the acquaintance said something like "Cheam Secondary Modern", the army type muttered something like, "Quaint.........." and thereafter never spoke to him again.

One can have the clothes; one can own some of the toys: but if one doesn't have the right background, then it doesn't matter a stuff.

[/quote]

Quite right Gluey,  if the crusty old codger judged me on my schooling, I would never speak to him again either.  I mean, how shallow are these idiots? [:D]

[quote user="Just Katie"][quote user="Gluestick"]

[/quote]

Quite right Gluey,  if the crusty old codger judged me on my schooling, I would never speak to him again either.  I mean, how shallow are these idiots? [:D]

[/quote]

This man was so shallow, you needed scuba gear to meet him!

I once took a friend to meet him for a business proposal: now my friend just happened to be a very low key and modest multi-millionaire property whiz and businessman who was, originally, a surveyor.

So the clown is jangling his gold, diamond studded Rolex and his ostentatious ID bracelet and foolishly asks my friend "What do you do?"

"Oh I'm a surveyor!" he said quietly.

"Oh right," said clown,"I've just bought a house at X; I'll probably ask you to value it for me!"!

Pillock!

No Gluey;  I meant the army guy is the shallow idiot for judging someone over their schooling.

I think his actions were dispicable. [+o(]

You said in an earlier post that "One can have the toys but if one hasn't got the background it doesnt give a stuff".  A stuff to who??

What on earth motivates these cranks like Mr ex army guy to think people would want to bother with them just because they went to a certain school?

I bet the pl onker even judged him on his Rolex too!!

Sorry Katie: I was responding - badly! It's been a hard day - to your earlier comment, viz:

[quote]

Personally, I try not to get 'sucked in' by anyone.  Even hubbies new 'best mate'

[/quote]

No matter what clothes etc we wear and no matter how much money we have, it is still impossible to break certain social barriers, was all I meant.

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Sorry Katie: I was responding - badly! It's been a hard day - to your earlier comment, viz:

[quote]

[/quote]

No matter what clothes etc we wear and no matter how much money we have, it is still impossible to break certain social barriers, was all I meant.

[/quote]

Wow, that must be a nightmare for all those sad social climbing sorts who hang around  trying to 'get in'. 

Seriously though, it is so crass and shallow to be judged purely on wealth, clothes and schooling rather than the heart and mind.