Incredulous!

Gluestick

Well, I personnally didn't talk to the couple recently.

Tomorrow, my favourite Englishman will ask them if there is a theme.[:)]

It's not that I don't know what I want, it s just that I wonder what the difference  in tradition between a French and English wedding is..

I know what I would wear in France !

Erenie, yes, I will have to drive this time , and earlier than october, in august this year... [:-))]

I will have the Puma for the month .. Hope there will be less cars on the road , English people, go on holidays please !!!!!!!!!!! [:D]

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully, the theme might be a traditional English wedding.

You know:

The Bride and groom are attended by their five kids who are acting as junior bridesmaids and page boys.

The bride's father takes out a second mortgage (He'll be bloody lucky at present!), to pay for the photographer, a designer wedding dress with matching outfits for the bridesmaids and pages; the two hundred year old stage coaches, the videographer; the poet; the wedding organiser; and a wedding breakfast costing £20,000 in an old castle and for the evening, a babbling buffoon DJ who plays loud nasty noises at such a high sound level, all the guests can't hear properly for a month afterwards.

The best man boffs the senior bridesmaid: four of the bridegroom's friends fight with four of the bride's brothers and the police have to lock 'em all up.

The happy couple jet off to Bali and spend their honeymoon banging down Mai Tais and riding around on elephants when they are not scuba diving.

After three weeks they jet back to their new four bedroom detached house with a swimming pool, snooker room and a new  4 X 4.

And six months later they are planning a divorce!

[quote user="Gluestick"]And six months later they are planning a divorce![/quote]....because they're maxed out on their credit and store cards and three months over due on the mortgage and can't stop bickering and blaming anyone but themselves for it [:P]

[quote user="Frenchie"]

Maybe you all can help me........

I'm going to a wedding in the UK in october , and I wonder what I should wear.. Apparently women wear hats for weddings in the UK..

Is it necessary to wear a dress? what about an elegant " tailleur pantalon" ?

[/quote]

Hi Frenchie,

As a general rule I would say that it is virtually mandatory for the mother of the bride and the mother of the bridegroom to wear hats. For all the other ladies I would say to dress prettily and smartly. If it were summer I would suggest a pretty cotton dress, possibly a lightweight jacket and matching shoes and bag. A hat if you like, it certainly sets off an outfit if hats suit you. Having said that, at the wedding of one of my nephews two years ago in the summer, his sister who was doing a reading at the wedding wore a white trouser suit. She is tall and she looked absolutely stunning. Ladies often treat weddings as an opportunity to buy a new outfit, but you don't have to do that. Of course, you are going in October so a lightweight dress is probably not practical. Perhaps an autumn outfit. I would say that most people try to dress up a bit but again it does depend on the type of wedding. If it is a big expensive white wedding with lots of guests I would say dress up. If the couple are doing a budget wedding then you can be a little more casual.

As others have said, try to find out if there is a theme. Also if you know any other ladies who will be going, ask them what they will be wearing. Hope you find the right outfit and have a great time. Let us know how you get on when the time comes. [:)]

Many years ago, Mrs Gluey and I drove down to her uncle and aunts in Sherborne, Dorset, for their son (Mrs G's cousin's) wedding.

Pretty posh affair, held in Sherborne Abbey. I was an usher.

As is often the way with busy wedding venues, there was another immediately after.

The Abbey had been decorated inside by Constance Fry, at the time, a noted flower arranger: considering it was Winter, the bride and groom had a wonderful bonus.

Since the following wedding was one of the Showering's (Babycham) marrying one of the Dents (Leather goods and superior gloves), the two groups sort of clashed in the Abbey grounds, as photos were being taken.

It was easy to recognise the other lot: all suntans, as they had jetted back from Mustique, Barbados, St. Lucia etc. and the ladies were dripping in minks and rather large diamonds..................

And the Rolls and Bentleys made my Austin A40 Countryman look rather insignificant.

Still coz and his wife are still happily married over 40 years later: don't know about the other two.

I'd take a bet however............

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="powerdesal"] You know GS, no-one could ever accuse you of being a cynic. [:P]
[/quote]

On the other hand, Steve, no one could ever accuse him of not being a realist.[:D]

[/quote]

Thanks, Sweets. [kiss]

I do wonder at this wedding thing, lately. If you have been living together for n years and already have x kids, what is the point?

Folly de grandeure?

[quote user="sweet 17"]Lorna, I thought matching shoes and bag are now considered terribly passé?  Not that I pay any attention to what's in and what's not.  Nowadays, it's got to be a) comfortable and b) a size bigger![:@][/quote]

You may well be right! I may be a bit out of touch and the wrong generation to give advice although I did think that weddings are one of the opportunites to dress up a bit if you want to.

Saves a lot of hassle if they are buying a property in France, Gluey!  No agonising about whose name to buy the property in and what to do if one dies before the other, etc, etc.  I tell you, what the disapproval of society did not succeed in doing, the French bureacracy and inheritance laws will.

I often see photographs in the local french paper of weddings of a couple who already have children. It seems very common here for couples to cohabit and start a family, using one of the other legal regimes. As you say Gluey, what is the point of marrying?

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Many years ago, Mrs Gluey and I drove down to her uncle and aunts in Sherborne, Dorset, for their son (Mrs G's cousin's) wedding.

As is often the way with busy wedding venues, there was another immediately after.

The Abbey had been decorated inside by Constance Fry, at the time, a noted flower arranger: considering it was Winter, the bride and groom had a wonderful bonus.

Since the following wedding was one of the Showering's (Babycham) marrying one of the Dents (Leather goods and superior gloves), the two groups sort of clashed in the Abbey grounds, as photos were being taken.

It was easy to recognise the other lot: all suntans, as they had jetted back from Mustique, Barbados, St. Lucia etc. and the ladies were dripping in minks and rather large diamonds..................

And the Rolls and Bentleys made my Austin A40 Countryman look rather insignificant.

Still coz and his wife are still happily married over 40 years later: don't know about the other two.

[/quote]

Constance Spry, not Fry, I fancy ?

As for Showering's - good solid West Country stock, I believe I am very , very distantly related.

[quote user="Patf"]As you say Gluey, what is the point of marrying?[/quote]Call me an old fashioned foolish romantic but for me it's about commitment, and thats coming from someone who took a bride of a mere 16 summers when barely turned 18 myself. Who'd have given odds on that union lasting 40 years [kiss]

Ernie - I agree with you about marriage being the ideal arrangement between a man and a woman who love eachother  What I meant in the example with the french couples/families is what  makes them decide to get married after years of being together?

I know of couples in the UK who do this for the children's sake, to make them feel "respectable." There's still a bit of a stigma for children whose parents aren't married. But in France I don't think this is so important, perhaps because of the emphasis on the secular state.

Ernie, that is indeed very beautiful ..

I can't say the same..

I divorced, like so many people, but I still believe in marriage, and I think I will be confident enough too say "" I do" again one day..

Thanks to the people who have given me advice and took the time to post long answers, I really appreciate. I will tell you  how it went, of course!!

Merci !! [kiss]  

[quote user="Russethouse"][quote user="Gluestick"]

[/quote]

Constance Spry, not Fry, I fancy ?

As for Showering's - good solid West Country stock, I believe I am very , very distantly related.

[/quote]

Used to flog cider from a horse and cart before Babycham made their fortune which I think may have been somewhat dissipated over the years. And that factory, right on that windy bend at Shepton Mallet.

Thank you Frenchie and good luck with the wedding, I'm sure whatever you choose to dress will be just fine, after all you're a French lady and they are famous for their sense of style [;-)]

I see your point now Patf, I just read it the other way [kiss]

I'm afraid I don't know the French psyche well enough yet to comment or even guess at what motivates the people you mention to marry [8-)]

They do so because they consider their love has proved strong enough to consider the idea of marriiage, and it is often also for money matters, taxes etc..

But basically people know there are so many divorces, they prefer to " try" first, and marrying after years of  living together  is a way to say " Now I'm sure 100% you re the one, and I still love you and I want this commitment'".

Good night everybody ! XX