Cleaning a diamond ring

chocccie

Does anyone have any suggestions of a safe way to clean a diamond ring. 

I have my grandma's ring .. .three diamonds in a row - and over the years the spaces in the mounts have become impacted with soap (and lawks knows what else!!!   [+o(] ).  Is there anything I can soak it in for a few hours or overnight that will loosen the dirt but not damage the ring, which is pretty old.

(sorry if this isn't the right place to post this)

Thanks  [:D]

I nearly posted the same reply, but thought I may get slatted!

When I first started work there was a lady in my office who had a handfull of beautifull rings, she said they were all diamonds but the sparkle was helped along with a drink of gin!  When my rings start to look a bit cruddy, If I forget to take them off whilst baking , I use an old tooth brush after soaking them in a cup of warm soapy water.

Chocccie:

You can also use surgical spirits or similar: in fact any clean alchohol will do.

Soaking overnight is fine: most gemstones are held in their "Setting" only by claws. Some types of stone, however, like Opals, can be mounted on their edge with a sort of plaster mixture which is similar to the stuff used to mount glass in lead glazing bars and soaking this in alchohol is not a good idea!

The trick is to remove all the detritus from between the setting and more importantly, behind the stones which prevents them refracting light. It is the process of refraction, through the facets which makes the stones sparkle.

Most jewellers today use small Ultra Sound cleaners and various type of alchohol-based cleaning fluid.

Since yours are old rings, check the security of the claws, because these are quite small on old rings and if the gold mixture is soft (which older rings tended to be) the claws wear very quickly and it is easy to lose a stone!

Mrs Gluestick used to own a small antique business in the 70s and you can guess who was seconded for cleaning duties and humping stuff into and out of the van.................[blink]

I bought the OH an ultrasonic cleaner from Tchibo.  It only cost 15 euros (I think) and is very effective with just 1 drop of washin up liquid.  It's also good for cleaning spectacles.  I know with Tchibo you have to buy it when you see it but perhaps there are other makes around at similar prices.

We got ours off QVC in the UK. £15 inc p&p and claning solution to be diluted.

I've also cleaned diamonds with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Makes the settings shine too.

Personally, I've never understood HOW cleaning BEHIND a diamond helps it shine. It seems to work, but "O" level physics says the light coming OUT is totally internally reflected, so the rear face plays no part, so long as it was cut with good flats in the first place[8-)]

Multiple prisms, 105E.

A gemstone both reflects and refracts: light is reflected of the polished lower facet surface: and also refracts through. That's why stones cut with multiple facets (Brilliant Cut) seem to shout more than (e.g.) a baguette cut.

And that is also why wholesale gemstones for the mass market tend to have clever multiple faceting, to overcome their less pure crystalline structure and the flaws of the "Inclusions".

• 4 months later...

After finding out from you folks that a good way to clean a diamond ring was with gin, I did ... with great results.

I went to clean it again today, but I'm out of gin!!!  (GASP HORROR!!)

Can I use anything else?  I have vodka and cognac.  Would either of those do? 

[quote user="chocccie"]

Does anyone have any suggestions of a safe way to clean a diamond ring. 

I have my grandma's ring .. .three diamonds in a row - and over the years the spaces in the mounts have become impacted with soap (and lawks knows what else!!!   [+o(] ).  Is there anything I can soak it in for a few hours or overnight that will loosen the dirt but not damage the ring, which is pretty old.

(sorry if this isn't the right place to post this)

Thanks  [:D]

[/quote]

Take it to a jewellers and get it done properly. 

They will also check the mountings of the diamonds.  Sadly I have lost one of the seven (smallish [;-)]) diamonds from my eternity ring (of the style like yours, in a row).  I've recently got a quote to get it replaced and they recommended that I get it checked once a year after it's been repaired (once I've saved enough to get it done).

I have always just soaked my engagement & eternity rings in hot water with a drop of washing up liquid - & used a childs soft toothbrush (a rather cute toothbrush with Tigger on it!! [:D]) & they turn out sparkling. 

Or as already suggested - wear it in the shower or while doing the dishes - & then sit back with a glass of Gin in hand!!

I was told to clean my diamond engagement ring by putting it in a small saucepan of water with a dot of washing up liquid, then gently bring it to the boil and let it very gently simmer for a minute or so. Rinse it off, giving it a light brushing with a soft toothbrush then polish it with a lint free cloth. You can do this with diamonds because of their hardness, but not all other stones.

These instuctions were given to me by the jeweller who designed and made the ring for us. He laughed when I mentioned gin - said the best thing to do with that was drink it.

(Incidentally if anyone can remember the 'knuckle duster' rings that Tom Jones and Englebert used to wear in the early '70s they were also made by the same guy, he had a place in Hatton Garden.)