Wristwatch or Mobile Phone ?

Frederick

Just an observation this one ..... All my life I have worn a watch cant imaging not doing so ...but I have noticed from experience with the teenagers within my family that they have no interest is doing the same ... I have offered to buy them watches they have declined ....Their  mobile tells them the time  they are never without one..... and  have no interest in wearing a wristwatch ....Is this a trend with teenagers  today ...do yours rely on a mobile to tell them the time ?

This is a good thread!  I gave up wearing a watch years ago when, due to my funny skin, I was getting all sorts of nasty skin problems on my left wrist.  Started wearing a watch on my right wrist but same thing happened. That was more than 20 years ago (pre mobile phones) and I don't miss a watch. It's amazing how many clocks there are around in general usage and people never mind being asked the time as they can then show you their expensive watch at the same time.

I like the concept of a watch with all the engineering and style that goes into some of them, then I look at the price tag and think again.

I no longer have a mobile phone, various reasons including poor signal but mostly meanness (my mother was born between Yorkshire and  Scotland)

To phone - we have 2 landlines and most people have answerphones

For e-mail and internet - we have computers

Time - cheapest watch I could find or look at the cooker/television/motor vehicle

The latest generation of mobiles I place in the category "change is not necessarily progress"

Victor Meldrew

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Have you tried a Titanium watch and bracelet, Pierre?

[/quote]

Nice idea and if I ever go back to wearing one I'll bear it in mind.  I think I have gone too long without a watch to change now.  The only times (sic) that I can't easily tell the time is when I'm in my garden or on the beach.  In both those cases I don't want to know the time! [:P]

I didn't know they still made such things! (Watches that is.) I don't own one. My Dad always seems slightly obsessed that i don't wear one. If i am out i have my phone, if i'm in i don't care what the time is!

EDIT: Same goes for alarm clocks, i always use my mobile phone.

Its very difficult to check the time on a mobile phone (at least on mine) when driving, I would need to change from sun glasses to reading glasses and then take my eyes off the road for too long then reverse the procedure. It would also be dangerous driving with reading glasses.

At least with a clear analogue watch I can just glance at my left wrist and I dont need reading glasses to see where the hands are.

For some of us gentlemen of a certain age the wearing of a watch is something with which we were brought up and without it being particularly overt, boastful, or flashy, there was definately an element of pride in having a nice one. I still feel somewhat naked without one.

This I think is echoed in some sense by the younger generation with their mobile phones, albeit in a more superficial and shallow way where possession of the latest and greatest handset is seen as status symbol to be flaunted and shown off along with the equally latest and greatest trainers etc.

I do have one expensive watch (a Seiko Kinetic Titanium worth about £350) but it was a gift from my employer and I would never ever contemplate spending anywhere near that sort of money on a watch myself, about £30 tops is usually my limit, I've smashed and destroyed too many in the past to pay any more than that [:'(]

I have absolutely no desire for, or knowledge of, expensive watches. I have four at the moment, two need new straps, one is a Raymond Weill (sp) which is about the size and thickness of an old penny. It may be worth something but I dont know, I have had it for over 20 years.

The one I wear now was a Christmas freeby from AirBP so I imagine its a cheap one.

I really dont get the obsession with the perceived value of possessions, apart from tools.

[quote user="Frederick"]Just an observation this one ..... All my life I have worn a watch cant imaging not doing so ...but I have noticed from experience with the teenagers within my family that they have no interest is doing the same ... Their  mobile tells them the time  they are never without one..... and  have no interest in wearing a wristwatch ....Is this a trend with teenagers  today ...do yours rely on a mobile to tell them the time ?[/quote]

In my job I am with teenagers all day, and yes, most now rely on their mobile to tell them the time.. But ... I am no teenage girl ; and I do it too, .. just can't stand a watch......

And when I come back from work, the first thing I do is take off my rings, earrings, necklace...  [:)]

I do wear a wristwatch...but it must be for decoration, as I've just realised from reading this thread,  because it only has hands and no numbers!

I always have a rough idea of the time but if I need to precise, I refer to the phone.

[quote user="Cathy"]

I wear a watch so that when I go back to the UK, I can take it off and show how tanned the rest of my arm gets in France.... [Www]

[/quote]I didn't want to say it Cathy but as you've 'fessed up first I'll admit that I like to do the same to tee off the guys offshore [:$]

Mind you, with the current weather in France it's working in reverse at the moment [:'(] 

I have the cheapest mobile and cheapest watch that work.  That, to me, is enough as I don't much like conspicuous anything.  Mind you, I do like nice shoes and accessories so perhaps I am not as much above all flim-flam as I'd like to imagine I am.

I gave up wearing a wrist watch when I started doing renovation work, apart from dust clogging them up one fell down the chimney I was demolishing and I found it when clearing out the bricks at the bottom! (since got through 3 mobiles as well) I do like to wear a watch when going out somewhere nice, a bit like jewellery I spose, I have a discreet targa florio watch which was given to me by mum and missus.
I remember the old joke about the young boy asking grandad why he always made the sign of the cross before going out, Grandad replied, ''nay lad, I'm checking spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch'', probably a hunter in those times! [8-|]

I am wearing the watch my dad bought me over 30 years ago, It is a wind up one. I have 2 others  , one was bought for my 40 th birthday and the other was a present from Mr O....both need batteries(not Mr O!) and whenever I think I will put one of these on the battery has run out!

I do not have or want a mobile phone although Mr O insists I take one of his when I go out alone in the car.........then about a week later he will ask me where it is, in the glovebox of the car of course!

My dad still wears the watch presented to him when he left the Army in 1958, It was stolen once in a break in at our house in the `70s and he got it back in the same condition about 2 years later when it was pawned and traced by the inscription on the back.

Hi-jacking this thread for a mo' if I may.......

My eldest son is 21 next year (where did the time go???!!!) and I had in mind to get him a nice watch. maybe a Briteling or similar as something to keep and maybe remember his old Dad in years to come.

Thing is he is a full-on Geek (his word not mine, takes after his Dad) and I sometimes think he is part silicon and it is computers that are a huge part of his life not mechanical baubles. 

What is the wisdom of the assembled forum - is a watch good way for me to go or does anyone have a better idea?