10 things you would bring from the UK

Im off back over for a few days, don't know wether to fly or drive, if I drove I could bring some stuff back over, unfortunately I can't bring any KFC back, hmmm, what would you bring over, just for some ideas

notice theres a lot of requests for tea bags, get Geants own brand royale breakfast, just as good as Tetley's

Paint

Bath panels

Crumbly Lancashire cheese from Morrisons

Warburtons bread

Radio 5 live (for the car)

KFC

Fish n Chips - even tho I probably only had it twice a year

Proper biscuits

Our previous jobs!!

English magazines

Huh - this is easy.........

Waterstones

Waitrose

Monsoon

Dent (the village and the brewery)

Hawkshead (the village and the shop)

St Ives

The Lytton Arms

Some of my family

My friends

...........if they could be dropped off somewhere in the Charente, not necessarily on my doorstep, that would be good!

regards........helen

Tetley teabags

Beef OXO cubes

Shredded suet

Mc Vities ginger nuts

Safeways seriously strong cheddar

ASDA sliced bread

Take away Indian meals

That's about it. Sorry can't make it up to ten. Fortunately having lots of repeat visitors, we keep well supplied with most of them - Possibly having cornered the European market in teabags.

We took Heinz baked beans off the list when we found that our local supermarket baked beans in tomato tasted even better than the Heinz when mixed with just a dash of Heinz ketchup.

www.leschenauds.com

Ah!  So there are other McVitie ginger nut addicts eh?

There isn't much else I miss but the English sense of humour would be nice if you can fit it in the case.

Sunday papers on a Sunday too.

You live in the wrong dept. Penny.  Most of your list can be bought up here.  Super U have an English shelf.  There again we are surrounded by people selling UK grub.  Honestly don't miss it now.

Apart from ginger nuts....

1. Most important, my parents if they were ten years younger to live here. Its becoming increasingly expensive and dangerous for them to live where they are as pensioners.

2.Some decent sized clothes for all of us.  3. Cranberry Sauce

4.Baked beans, not paying 13FF per tin here and its part of our heritage.    5. Salad cream for new potatoes, again extortionate prices here.     6. Large tin of Cadbury's Roses or Milk Tray chocolates.    7. New Sky remote because it wobbles and the buttons are rubbed clean by him who falls asleep with it in his hand and then says he was watching TV when you turn it over or off.    8. Treadair to go under the bedroom carpets here as they show the floorboards after a while and you can't get it anywhere here.    9. Proper tea.   10. Takeaway chinese that you can order by phone and know its good and cooked in a clean kitchen.

Living here, these are the things I brought on my one trip back, or asked others to bring for me.

Pg Tips tea bags

Books, loads

DVDs which I find very expensive here, unless you slog through endless slash and gore films in the bargain section

Any tree or shrub which you love and are not certain to get easily here

Clothes from TKMAX

reading glasses from ASDA 10 quid

Pataks curry pastes

2 days Newspapers, preferably Sat or Sun.

Photos nicked from mum and sisters.

tresco

Kings Head, Rose & Crown, The Ship, Duke of Cumberland's Head, White Lion, The Woolpack, The Plough, The Smugglers Den.

+ 1 x 24 hr Asda, and the lorry drivers cafe on the old A5 near the M6 junction.

Should cater for my daily needs !

Peter

Apart from good caster sugar (for cooking), Tesco's organic porridge oats and Matalan I cannot think of anything else. An easy way to get my disabled daughter over here would be nice, but an easy way just to get her into the local town in the UK would also be nice so that is not really relevant for France.

I made the decision when I came over not to try to continue to use anything I had used in the UK, so I suppose I have made a quick transistion to the French alternatives. We do not frequent the 'British' shops or the relevant shelves in the supermarket, no point, far to expensive. So my meringues are a bit crunchier than they used to be, so what, still taste good.

Having been an 'ex pat' in countries where there was not even milk or sugar in the whole place and meat could appear once a fortnight if you were lucky, I suppose my attitude is different from most and I can quickly find alternatives that although they may not taste the same, will replace what we miss. I do have a very large stock of asian spices and whenever I see anyone selling anything that is useful I buy a stock.

Merguez sausages tonight, now that is something I would miss if I could not get them.

Bookshops (I buy from Amazon but it's not the same as being able to spend ages browsing in a bookshop)

Boots/Superdrug (especially makeup like Rimmel - even supermarket makeup is expensive in France)

Pizza Express' salad dressing

Mature Cheddar cheese

Olde Worlde country pubs with beams and a roaring fire

Decent vegetables or side salad when eating out (rather than the ubiquitous bundle of grey french beans wrapped in rasher of soggy bacon, or lump of courgette quiche type stuff.  Oh for carrots, peas, cauliflower, broccoli, a mixed leaf salad with perhaps cucumber, tomato...........:pinch

Knickers that fit (french women must be a very strange shape is all I can say)

That brings me on to M&S - sigh

Brighton's Theatre Royal

That'll do I think

When I visit I am asked to bring;

Waitrose Oatcakes made with extra virgin oil

Twinings Breakfast tea bags

Green & Blacks chocolate, particularly the little squares (good for serving after dinner) and their c*o*c*o is on trial too

Waitrose extra mature cheddar cheese

Bread sauce mix

Liquorice

For Waitrose fans who are short of time and visiting the UK, Ocado now deliver (a better service than Tesco IMHO)if you will be visiting relatives or friends who will keep it for you.( www.ocado.com I think))

Wendy, I think a lot of people miss the selection of clothes in the UK, my husband loves shopping in large branches of Carrefour, there is a good range of clothes for the slightly larger guy ()but not for less than svelte women in my experience. Love their shoes though - good value and hard wearing.

Have just retuned and these were among many in my suitcase;

Second hand books

shreddies and porridge

Asda Asprin(x overdose ammounts)....too expensive to have a headache in france.

Ethel Austin Undies...lovely designs at low prices

Crumpets

Gravy granuals(not fussy on the make...don`t use often, but sometimes needed)

Charity shop clothing, designer jeans for youngest at less than 50p, jogging pants/shorts for myself at less than 50p and various fashion items for eldest at equaly cheap prices.

Cadbury chocolate(not to be consumed at great speed)

ginger nuts(bought Asda, but only cos they are cheap)

Christmas crackers

christmas cards and gift wrap.

The pubs - but then we have the good weather and the great outdoors

WHSmith - but there is Amazon now

Cinemas - DVD's even though I have to drive 20 mins away

Bacon - poitrine

Chocolate Buttons kids size

Chinese Takeaways - no equivalent in France the Vietnamese dont come close

Tea Bags - must haves for me

Heinz Tomato soup for my daughter

Customer Service - I miss that.

[quote]I haven't moved to France yet so I don't know which 10 items I would miss - but I am surprised to see some of the choices: Asda, Safeway, Matalan...surely there is better than this in France? Newspape...[/quote]

The selection of clothes in France I find to be exceptional.  It's the one area I can't fault.  The choice is very good. 

The Supermarkets are very good too.  The Auchan where we live stocks cheddar cheese which is available at the cheese counter (as opposed to the supermarket shelves).  I do buy this regularly now, so I can only assume I must enjoy it enough to still want it.   But if it wasn't available I'm sure I'd survive without the weekly fix. 

Everytime I go back to the UK I return with very little that is associated with my previous existence there.  Most things that I thought I missed, like good wholemeal bread , I have found an alternative for, here in France.  In fact, better, to be honest.  I generally bulk purchase four or five loaves at a time and put them in the freezer.

Frankly I shouldn't really be answering this question as I love finding alternatives for the things I thought I might miss.  That's part of the fun and the satisfaction for one discovers such joys and pleasures along the way.  There is nothing to beat the wonderful regional food that France has to offer in bucket loads.

As for my husband he misses Chepstow racecourse and Euthymol toothpaste.  The former I can't bring back with me but I humour him on the second and return with a good supply.  Newspapers can be subscribed to online, if so desired.  Radio stations are available online as well. So no problem really with keeping up.

"I haven't moved to France yet so I don't know which 10 items I would miss - but I am surprised to see some of the choices: Asda, Safeway, Matalan...surely there is better than this in France?"

For clothes, nope.  Of course you can find the odd nice-ish thing in Carrefour or Kiabi, and now and again there's a second-hand stall in a market, but mostly the clothes are a bit dull and not that cheap.   Even 10-yr-old son is kitted out from the UK, because everyday clothes are about the same price but much better quality, which counts when they wear it to school every day.

I'd bring charity shops over.  And Matalan.  They're always on my list when I go back. 

Wendy,

Wait until you have to return goods which we term 'not fit for the purpose for which they are sold' or still under warranty, esp to a large supermarket. I have seen many tales of woe on this forum, where as my local Tescos replace anything I have have returned , with a smile, even if it is five minutes before 10pm and their clocking off time! Maybe I'm just lucky

Ah, but the people in bars here have had to do at least two years training.  They will have a certificate in bar work or waitressing.  That is their job.  For ever.

In the UK you can do bar work and train/work/study at the same time.  They are not professionals.

I love the lists.  Glad that I live near an Indian restaurant and a Chinese supermarket.  Who do ready meals!!

Don't forget, when we first married our French friends were sure that he would be dead within a year from starvation.  They had a very low opinion of British cuisine.  In fact, he has put on weight.

Sesame ginger chicken tonight.  Cheers Ken Hom!

Tesco Internet shopping.....i hate going to the supermarket

The book shops on Charing Cross and the passages off of it.

Sundaty pub lunch with all the trimmings, oh and a few pints of Young's winter warmer

Yo! Sushi for lunch

Paul Smith-Floral St

Favourbrooks-St James

Harvey Nic's

Camden Market

A kebad at 5am

Hyde Park on a frosty winters morning.

Almost makes me want to jump on a plane........until i see the weather reports on Sky and now these things have become even more of a pleasure because i only spend 3 or 4 days a year in London. Now if i had to live in England again there would be many more thing i miss from here in France and over the border in Spain.

I can't think of a single thing that I miss, though there were lots that I expected to. I've just got rid of a load of ground spices that were best before the end of the last millennium... I'm hanging onto the whole ones and the suet, the treacle and golden syrup... you never know... I have lots of second hand books that I'll never have time or inclination to read... knitting patterns that I'll never knit... the last thing I asked for, on a whim, was a bottle of Australian chardonnay - I got six last Easter, still have four...
Some things are dearer - solder, blank cds... but some things are cheaper too, I suspect it balances out.
I went through a phase of missing urban anonymity but that has long since passed... and meeting a few English people has extinguished my nostalgia for the sense of humour and chatting in my native tongue

How nice to read something so utterley down to earth Pucette, that is how I feel these days.

We miss very little anymore, some of the things others have said they miss, we also did once and still do on occasions, who wouldn't but now, well not really.

As for missing some of the things rdkr says he is missing, it is no more to my mind than pure fantasy and perhaps a nice little wind up, as most people would never have even heard of most of the items listed there (you missed the Green room and afternoon tea at the Ritz ) but for me, a lad from up west, I know it well but, miss it, no it's flipping well what we got away from..............sorry, still each to their own but I do miss the pub, the comraderie, the crack at Xmas, so yes, we would like to bring that with us but sadly, impossible.