Childhood memories.

Gastines

My father died when I was 18 months old. In those days the body was kept in the front room of ones house for three days.

I remember cleary that my sister and I were  lead into this room and that we both had to say good bye to our father. I was not afraid at all. I can even remember what I wore. My mother though maintains that it is impossible that I can remember, and that it is my imagination as she had talked to us about and the knitted dress I have seen on photos?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another quick thankyou for all the sad and amusing memories from childhood which lots of you took the trouble to put on the site. What shame we cannot all meet up for a good old reminisce, I bet there would be lots of laughs and just a few tears as well. Can anyone remember hearing Tubby the Tuba on the radio? I was told that I used to sob my heart out every time it was played and I would just love to get a copy of it now if only to prove to my disbelieving family that such a record exists. Regards, Mrs Gastines.

Monika I’m sure your memory of your father is genuine. I have a similar one. As with many other memories it’s just like a snapshot; a little blond boy standing next to my pram. For years people told me that I couldn’t possibly remember my brother who died when I was 15 months old and I believed them. It’s really only recently that I’ve realised that my other brother, who was nine years older than me, was much too big to be the boy I remember and accept the memory for what I’ve really always known it is.

Tubby the Tuba ? I remember him too !

Hoddy

Earliest I can think of is my dad running up and down our back entry pushing a big motorbike in the rain...(trying to get it started....and dad suffering with a bad back for ages after!) I must have been about 2 as I can remember us getting our first car, an Austin A40 in Red and going for a night time drive in it in my pyjamas, (I am reliably informed by my dad that it was probably about 5 O`clock in the evening just after the showrooms closed)

Mrs O

Humprey Lestocq and Muffin the Mule (not encouraged nowadays by HSE!!) are quite modern compared to Journey into Space,  Dick Barton Special Agent and my hero Alf Tupper (the tough of the track) and one for Miki, The Charlie Buchan Football Monthly..

weedon

[quote user="Gastines"]Just another quick thankyou for all the sad and amusing memories from childhood which lots of you took the trouble to put on the site. What shame we cannot all meet up for a good old reminisce, I bet there would be lots of laughs and just a few tears as well. Can anyone remember hearing Tubby the Tuba on the radio? I was told that I used to sob my heart out every time it was played and I would just love to get a copy of it now if only to prove to my disbelieving family that such a record exists. Regards, Mrs Gastines.[/quote]

Best fetch a hanky then [:'(]

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3858721

You can't buy it there, as it's out of stock, but you can listen to an audio preview using real or windows media players.

I too can remember going to pick my brother up from the maternity home.  We must all be traumatised!

Another memory is going to stay with relations in the Lake District and, once in bed asleep, the cat coming to join me.  How I screamed!!

I remember we had to cross the railway line in front of the house to get onto the beach.

I think the Lakes were the first memory.

I remember all the kids telly.....and I'm only 29 and some months[:)]

Having just read through the replies to my wife's posting,she's still wiping the tears away, Weedon's posting about Dick Barton brought back a few memories for me. My elder brother and I used to sit,ears pressed to the Bakelite radio to listen in,I believe early Sunday evening. BUT. before I go crackers, what was his sidekicks name?The Sunday lunch speciality  was listening to Family Favourites while scoffing roast beef/yorkshire pudding etc.after I'd bought the meat for 5 from the local butcher:"Not over 9shillings, Mum said".

I remember being on the platform at Nottingham Victoria station waving to my father as he went back to his ship. I was 3 when the War ended so I must have been about 2. I also have a memory of a metal tricycle with a flat platform for a seat and riding it on the pavement at the corner of Berridge Road and Noel Street (the location in the recollection is precise). I remember just a few snapshots of life until I was about 5. From then on the snapshots grow much more frequent but only become home movie excerpts from about 7.

Funnily enough, I cannot remember my brother being born (he is 3 1/2 years younger than me) nor can I remember falling in the River Leen on the day that he was born - but my mother has told me of this many times!

[quote user="Gastines"]Having just read through the replies to my wife's posting,she's still wiping the tears away, Weedon's posting about Dick Barton brought back a few memories for me. My elder brother and I used to sit,ears pressed to the Bakelite radio to listen in,I believe early Sunday evening. BUT. before I go crackers, what was his sidekicks name?The Sunday lunch speciality  was listening to Family Favourites while scoffing roast beef/yorkshire pudding etc.after I'd bought the meat for 5 from the local butcher:"Not over 9shillings, Mum said".[/quote]

Snowy and Jock

weedon

When I was four I was given a monkey cuddly toy for Christmas, it was very realistic. On the Boxing day we went to Wippesnade (sp?) zoo and saw a bored tiger. The creature who had been comatose in the back of his cage, leap up when saw me with my toy. He snarled, got an arm between the iron bars, claws out, reaching to get the monkey. As we were behind a barrier some feet away from the cage there was no danger. I remember enjoying the tiger coming to life and the moment of interaction with it. The panic reaction of the adults around me was interesting too.

It is not easy to distinguish between what are genuine memories and what are bits of family stories about us, when we were young, that we could visualise when told. Is there a memory there underneath the layer of story and visualisation?

Tubby the Tuba ? What about Sparky and his magic piano ? (or is it the something else ?) Uncle Mac and Children's favorites - I'm a pink toothbrush...........How much is that doggy in the widow ? and later Pat Boone - April Love ? ( I loved that song !)

I remember after my brother left the Prince of Wales Naval College, being taken to his 'passing out' parade (he was 12 years older than me). His first trip was to Australia and while he was away we moved house - I was absolutely petrified he would never find us again !

He did![:)]

Russethouse's reply brought forth another memory. Uncle Mac. Macdonald Hobley was a neighbour of mine in Bournemouth, his wife Douggie, used to be a hairdresser in the Crossroads series.She kept reminding me that they'd never written the part out!!  Mac was born on the Falklands were he was given the freedom, and a nice silver box to go with it. His father was the Vicar there.

To add to my butchers visits for the 9bob piece of beef, or 8 bob end leg of lamb, I used to have to go about half a mile to the coal-merchants to get two Brickets [made of cement and coal dust ] when times were hard,which they often were. I will even even admit to having a box-cart made up from old pram wheels and an orange box, which I used to go round getting old papers/jars/wool etc to take to our local scrapyard for my pocket money. My wife say's that I haven't changed much!! When I used to tell my 2 son's this I'm not sure they ever believed me as I was talking 1950's not Dickensian times. I didn't go up any chimneys though.

Regards, By St.Malo

I remember being in a pram with great big wheels and sucking on a bottle of tea when I got me finger trapped in a part of the pram and cut it and it bleeding. I can't remember me older brother being born like most of you, but I used to sit with me Mammy looking at Watch with Mother everyday on our black and white Pie telly with a little bowl of soup dipping me bread in it, I wish I could do it now! Pogles Wood was great and I loved Tinker and Tucker the two little bears with that lovely blonde woman with the Kangaroo.

Does any of yous remember Candlewick Green? It started off with a music box, a magical music box! There was always something different in the box each episode, one week it had a lovely Samoyed dog in it, I think it belonged to chippy minton that lived next door to Mrs Honeyman with the Pekes.

My gran's rabbit pie (pre-mixamatosis), milk delivered in churns and ladelled into jugs, the old old lady who delivered the papers. My Dad's Austin Sheerline, the Twisted House by Southend Pier, bomb sites in London, a Scottie called Dougal, walks down deep country lanes, Ham Hill (Somerset), Margaret Hawkins from over the road, the sweet shop across the road. Running up the stairs with a toy car Dad had just bought me and falling, shattering the toy. Barges on the Thames

Then sailing away from UK before the coronation on the Braemar Castle.[:)]

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I remember Rag, Tag and Bobtail, Picture Book and Andy Pandy, Bill and Ben and there must have been one other?

Picture book was Wednesdays I think.

[/quote]

Monday - Picture Book

Tuesday - Andy Pandy

Weds - Bill and Ben

Thurs - Rag, Tag and Bobtail

Friday - The Woodentops

That's as I remember it (as if it was yesterday!)

And what about Shirley Abicair, the Australian lady who played the zither?

You are correct, but I think you are maybe a little bit older than Lindsey.

Lindsey, I think, was talking about the daytime TV, not bedlam hour, when us little cute little'uns had our peace, indeed, our own little world destroyed on a daily basis; like when when all you big kids came home from school, taking all the attention, with their so called 'homework' and all that made up stuff.

Is this enough smileys for everyone to know I am being light-hearted?