Childhood memories.

Gastines

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch with mother (Andy Pandy et al) was on 'after lunch' Crackerjack was a Children's Hour (5 - 6) programme.

Does anyone remember how the BBC used to shut down for an hour so parents could get the children to bed!!!???

Also used to be some great serials on Sundays, I have memories of watching one where a boy called Jan was one of a group walking from Poland to freedom - goodness knows what is was called. The production of Great Expectations was pretty good too.Scared me to death !!!

Does anyone remember how the BBC used to shut down for an hour so parents could get the children to bed!!!???

I am pretty sure my mum used to turn the dial and make the screen black, and say that the TV became a radio after 'Watch with Mother', but when I ask her about it she doesn't know what i'm talking about. Did programmes stop after WWM?

We were pretty easy to please on the whole - we even used to sit and watch the 'Test Card', the one with the girl holding a clown.

CAMPAIGN FOR CUTE SMILIES

I made a little store of some of the old smilies, in Corsica, where they are most needed.

Dear Russethouse,    

I just had to interrupt my preparations for dinner tonight as we are having some friends over because I thought your reply was more important. Yes, I too remember the little boy in Poland and it must have been remarkable because I have never forgotten it. I think it was called The Silver Sword by Ian Serrailieur and I believe one of the boys was played by Frazer Hines late Emmerdale fame and I am almost sure the poorer, thin little waif was played by "Gloria" in It ain't half hot mum, whose name escapes me at present. He used to break my heart week in week out, he was so frail and thin and looked so cold. Did one of the boys try to escape under a train and got frozen to the axle or did I imagine this? We are obviously not the only ones who were impressed by this story as I  once heard Jim Davidson relating his memory of it and saying how much he enjoyed it and why didn't they bring it back. Still I suppose it wouldn't be the same would it? I even sent him a little sword letter opener I found in a junk shop as he struck such a cord with me, nowt so queer as folk are they? It was funny yesterday too, as I happened to look at the clock and it was five o' clock and I automatically remarked to my husband, "It's Friday, it's five o'clock and it's Crackerjack!" Sad, isn't it, we must be brainwashed. I always longed to go on the programme as all the prizes in Double or Drop looked so exciting to me, and I was mortified when they dropped their cabbages, especially the third one as they lost the lot then I think.

Have a good week-end , Regards, Mrs Gastines.

I did not realise what a can of worms I had opened when asking for peoples memories but it is so nice to read them isn't it?

Can you send some little smiley pusses to the Isle Of Wight please Mrs Tresco?  I was there for the Cactus Festival, and everyone seemed a bit sad. A poor woman was in tears after she got into a fight with another big woman over the succulents colouring was thought to be of a unnatuaral origin. There were cactuses flying everywhere, it was lucky no one had an eye out!

There was these programmes from Chekofslovakia that used to have a bloke done up as a talking bear, a bit of a fairy tale sort of thing, he looked a bit like Donut in the Double Deckers?  I think Donut is a grand name for a person or any creature really.

[quote user="Dicksmith"]Does anyone remember the White Horses of the Algarve? I'm not sure if that came from Chekofslovakia (100% brilliant!) or not,,,[/quote]

Yes Dick, weren't they Lippizaner (sp ???) horses, born black and slowly turning white as they reached adulthood?  Catchy theme tune too.

And if we're remembering dubbed european programmes, what about Belle and Sebastien and Robinson Crusoe.

Mrs Gastines - I'm amazed anyone else rememembers that serial - it must have been quite something for us both to remember it after all this time.

Here we are - you can listen to it:

This is the best of my treasures," said Jan.

Although the silver sword was only a paper knife, it became the symbol of hope and courage which kept the four children alive through the years of Nazi occupation when they had to fend for themselves. And afterwards, it inspired them to keep going on the exhausting and dangerous journey from war-torn Poland to Switzerland, where they hoped to find their parents.

Based on fact, this is an extraordinarily moving account of life during and after the Second World War.

http://www.penguin.co.uk/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,0_0141802545,00.html

What about 'the hot chesnut man' - Johnny Morris - pre Animal Magic ?

An add on to my childrens memories, or more to the point what I used to rush home to watch, then rush off back to my carpet fitting. Does anyone else remember."The wise old owl" it was a dutch or german prog. originally with a name like Das Furbercrunch. Magic Roundabout was not one of their favourites.

My only memories of Radio, were apart from Dick Barton. Mrs Dales Diary and the Archers, A pal of mine at the time who's parents had a farm [not old macdonald ] was sure the government used to put notes into the Archers so that the farmers were aware of what was going on with treatments/crops etc.

I did think the big silver robot, from the flying saucer was the best space film.Not the Lost in Space one.

Regards. By.St.Malo.

Thats the very lad Mrs Cat! He is a bit quare looking for sure. I never seen him in colour till now, he looks even more frightening than on our black and white Pie telly!

White Horses was one of me favourite shows Mr Dick! I really loved the team tune....

On white horses, snowy white horses let me ride away......

I never knew it was set in the Camargue, Bejaney I would love to live out there and see all the lovely horses running round in the wild. I think they have pink Flamingos there too!

There was a big pudgey American lad that had a show called The Pied Piper, he was dressed as a sort of minstrel and during the show he would point down to a hole in the wall of his house and say "it's time for animal farm"  All the animals could talk and had sports cars and one had a speedboat.

They are bringing back The Champions too! I was  madly in love with Alexandria Bastardstoe, she was probably the first woman I ever fancied! The way she could lift those polystyrene boulders with such grace and elegance and still retain her dignity, she could do no wrong in me eyes. They are also reviving Mr Pipkin with the Brummy Pig and Hartley Rabbit.

This one? (found on Google)

Little Red Monkey

Performed by: Joy Nicholas, Jimmy Edwards, and Dick Bentley

Look at the monkey, funny monkey

Little red monkey, acting so fidgety

Little red monkey, cute as can be

Where is his mama, papa, sister, brother, cousin, rest-of-the-family?

Little red monkey, on his own, some very lonesome monkey is he

Listen carefully, Dick and Jimmy, 'cause here is a job for you (what is it?)

If you get him into the zoo (the zoo?)

He'd do all of his tricks for you (joy!)

Why not drop him a line or two (what for?)

Inviting him to the zoo

For if we do (then what?)

He'll be a happy, snappy monkey

Little red monkey acting so merrily

We hope you like this little red monkey

Very lonesome monkey is he

Little red monkey, acting so fidgety

Get out your fiddle and play him a tune, Dick

Very lonesome monkey is he

That was ghastly!

Don't think the monkey liked that medley

Seems to be jumpy, acting so fidgety

You cheer him up, Jimmy, with your euphonium

Little red monkey, cute as can be

Oh, Jim, didn't he love it too? (I got it right!)

If you listen, he'll talk to you

He will chatter the whole day through

(monkey sounds)

Now he's a snappy, happy monkey

Little red monkey acting so merrily

See how we like this little red monkey

Very troublesome monkey is he

Little red monkey

Little red monkey

Won't you stay to tea?

(monkey sounds)

He said yes!