DSK, can we believe this?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know as much as anyone who has read the news and watched the news. Does that not allow me to form an opinion?

People here and elsewhere express opinions, some positive and some not so positive, about Blair, Sarkozy, Sarkozy's wife, Johnny Hallyday, Elvis, Paul Mc Cartney... and many other well-known people, basing their opinion on the same kind information to which we all have access about DSK.

So, why the difference?

Edit: look at the comments about Naomi Campbell on this thread, all based on what has been read in the media. Do we know all the facts?

[quote user="Clair"]I know as much as anyone who has read the news and watched the news. Does that not allow me to form an opinion?

So, why the difference?

[/quote]

Lets not get confused here Clair, I think you do know as much, sometimes more than anyone, and you are entitled to speak your opinion, but at the same time you do not know all the facts in this case, so no matter what you or I think, whether he is a sleazebag, skirt lifter or whatever, I will wait until I have heard all the facts to say whether he is guilty or not.

Incidently do you keep Jack Russells or Bull Terriers by any chance?

We never know all the facts, yet we express opinions all the time, about people, facts or events we read or hear about in the news.

In this instance, we are constantly reminded that DSK is "innocent until proven guilty", but in reality, this precept applies only to those who are involved with the judicial process and who are required to examine all the facts presented to them in an impartial manner.

No, I do not have a Jack Russell or a Bull Terrier. Do you think I should? [:P]

[quote user="britgirl"]I have always believed that  if I wasn't there at the time, and heard ,and saw everything that may or may not have taken place then I was not in a position to make any comment.. Every thing else may be conjecture.[/quote]

What ? All of those people saying DSK made 'a move on them'. As you weren't there you don't beleive it, even though there were several of them independently reporting the same thing ?

Hmmmm....

[quote user="pachapapa"][quote user="Christine Animal"]

It must be going on all the time, but noone knew before!   [Www]

[/quote]

At least him and DSK will get a fair trial in USA.

Not like Julian Assange in Sweden.[:'(]

[/quote]As someone who lived for over 10 years in Sweden I can assure you that JA will get a fair trial in  Sweden.

[quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="pachapapa"][quote user="Christine Animal"]

It must be going on all the time, but noone knew before!   [Www]

[/quote]

At least him and DSK will get a fair trial in USA.

Not like Julian Assange in Sweden.[:'(]

[/quote]As someone who lived for over 10 years in Sweden I can assure you that JA will get a fair trial in  Sweden.[/quote]

And as someone who has lived for 14 years in france and in chile for 6 years under Pinochet...guess where I would have got a fairer trial.

I am afraid I fail to understand how your time in France or Chile qualifies you to pass judgement on the Swedish justice system. Perhaps you could explain. Of course pending a decision by the English courts it is uncertain if JA will stand trial(fair or unfair) in Sweden.

[quote user="Rabbie"]I am afraid I fail to understand how your time in France or Chile qualifies you to pass judgement on the Swedish justice system. Perhaps you could explain. Of course pending a decision by the English courts it is uncertain if JA will stand trial(fair or unfair) in Sweden.[/quote]

The competence and judgment of barrack room lawyers knows no boundaries.

Speaking in a legal sense.

The spelling judgement (with e added) is common in the United Kingdom in a non-legal context.[:D]

[quote user="cooperlola"]

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/judgement.html

So I guess as we're discussing a case to be heard in Manhattan (as opposed to Sweden, Chile or France) then judgment is right in this context.[:D]

[/quote]

Spot on the dot.

In england the legal profession uses the "minus e" version of the word as any qualified "barrack room lawyer" will learn early in their legal studies.

The "plus e" version is commonly used by the less well educated "hoi polloi".[:-))]

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="Rabbie"]I am afraid I fail to understand how your time in France or Chile qualifies you to pass judgement on the Swedish justice system. Perhaps you could explain. Of course pending a decision by the English courts it is uncertain if JA will stand trial(fair or unfair) in Sweden.[/quote]

The competence and judgment of barrack room lawyers knows no boundaries.

Speaking in a legal sense.

The spelling judgement (with e added) is common in the United Kingdom in a non-legal context.[:D]

[/quote]Avoiding the question as usual[:D] That does raise the question of whether you know the answer. Barack room lawyers are justly renowned for their ability to bluff[:)]

Interesting article comparing French and US media reports in ref. to the alleged victim: How French and U.S. laws affect Strauss-Kahn news coverage

"When money is no object, you can buy yourself justice": how Strauss-Kahn throws dollars at scandal

In other news, Mac OS X users are being warned that a video purporting to be of the alleged assault by DSK is in fact used to spread malware...

thanks for posting these links. Interesting reports, always liked Envoyé Spéciale.

Interesting that Pierre Arditi says at the end, that no matter what happened he didn't deserve 'this'. So what did he deserve if he did, maybe he should stick to acting hein!