DSK, can we believe this?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I think the "pathological fear of cultural invasion" chimes with what I am hearing. Perhaps also having to say "English speaking" or "English language" is too upsetting, so Anglo-Saxon is used as it has the hint of derision required.

Funnily enough I can see in the colouring and features of some of our Norman neighbours a hint of the Viking and some of their patois farming words sound like English words, even though the modern French is totally different.

Well, to put my toes into this particular bain chaud, where are all these women DSK isn supposed to have troubled or attempted to trouble over the years, and why have they not come forward to add to his woes? Apart from a couple of well known cases, there seem to be no new ones, which being said, I have not yet read the French press this lovely morning.

Did you really believe that they will come forward at the moment. IF they had I would have been surprised, after seeing the way the two women who have come forward have been treated.

It will be later, IF he is found guilty, that we will hear some more, of that I am sure. I do not believe in isolated incidents, and his 'friends' and those who know him have alluded to inproper behaviour for some time.

There are many reasons why people do not automatically speak out and it isn't always simple cowardice. Sometimes it is because they will cause hurt 'now' to those that they love or their friends, or career etc etc and they cannot harm those they care about or their jobs. Life, helas, is often very complicated.

And yes, come on in, the water is warm, not hot! Maybe a jacuzzi rather than a bath, what with the water being a little more agitated more than usual.[Www]

[quote user="idun"]There are many reasons why people do not automatically speak out and it isn't always simple cowardice. Sometimes it is because they will cause hurt 'now' to those that they love or their friends, or career etc etc and they cannot harm those they care about or their jobs. [/quote]

Yes, exactly. Or even more simply it can be because they have put incidents behind them... though no doubt not forgotten them... and often because coming forward with details of an incident that portrays them as a "victim" isn't how they want others to perceive them or how they want to perceive themselves.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

With friends like these:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1392463/Vladimir-Putin-claims-Dominique-Strauss-Khan-victim-conspiracy-force-out.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

(EDIT : Just in case anybody thinks I regularly look at the MoL, it popped up on DSK latest on Google.[Www])

[/quote]

Tut, tut, tut, sounds familiar! Back in December he rushed to the defense of Julian Assange!

[:)]

So, just to sum up, for my feeeeeble brain, DSK was arrested in NY after allegedly doing something dirty to a maid in a hotel and was then arraigned and bailed eventually. That he appeared in handcuffs has upset some people as that cant happen in France, though it is what happens in the USA. The Americans thought he might do a flit as happened with a certain nasty little film maker.

Some French people have defended him, saying that he couldn't possibly have done that, but a couple of ladies have come forward saying he tried it on with them. Others say that he was known as a bit of a skirt raiser.

We then seem to have digressed into a debate about whether French men are chauvinistic skirt chasers or not, which seems to have started a certain amount of acrimony. As well as some effort to define the difference between flirting and going too far.

Is this about where we are?

[quote user="woolybanana"]

[/quote]

I'm in Netto on the iphone at the mo but I'd go along with that if we're leaving out the toys and dummies and the bruised egos.

Until the trial it's difficult to see where we can take it much further, save for quoting random media snippets.

So, just to sum up, for my feeeeeble brain, DSK was arrested in NY after allegedly doing something dirty to a maid in a hotel and was then arraigned and bailed eventually. That he appeared in handcuffs has upset some people as that cant happen in France, though it is what happens in the USA. The Americans thought he might do a flit as happened with a certain nasty little film maker.

Some French people have defended him, saying that he couldn't possibly have done that, but a couple of ladies have come forward saying he tried it on with them. Others say that he was known as a bit of a skirt raiser.

We then seem to have digressed into a debate about whether French men are chauvinistic skirt chasers or not, which seems to have started a certain amount of acrimony. As well as some effort to define the difference between flirting and going too far.

[/quote]

Maybe you should have jumped in and said all that about 40 pages ago[Www].

For me it  was not  flirting and going too far that was being discussed though?  So was it?  I thought it was a sexual act(s) with or without consent that were[blink].

[quote user="just john "]

[quote user="woolybanana"] Is this about where we are?[/quote]

Not quite Wools, don't forget he must be innocent until proven guilty, and you have to stand up and be counted in your comments[Www]

[/quote]

Please sir, can I sit down to be counted, I am epuisée tonight, je ne peux plus[:-))]

"Innocent until proven guilty" is very clear and fair from a judicial point of view, but does it follow that individuals can't have an opinion or even express it? [8-)]

My personal opinion is unlikely to sway the jury one way or another, so I should be able to say that I think the likelihood is that is he guilty, if that's what I think, without having to duck... shoudn't I?

[/quote]

Isn't the discussion partly about whether its any body elses business  whether or not someone is a 'skirt chaser' and the different attitudes in France and the Uk.

[quote user="just john "]Of course Clair, I may not necessarily agree with you, but I would defend your right to speak; do you think that it might be a good idea to hear all of the facts from both sides beforehand though?[:)][/quote]

You mean I cannot have an opinion on what I know?