FLYING RYANAIR POST FEB 1ST - READ THIS

AnOther

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coco

"From February 1, air passenger duty will rise from £5 to £10 for economy-seat passengers taking domestic and European short-haul flights"

So as the tax is actually only £10 per person one way I cannot see how it can be blamed for a price hike of £122.  Maybe its the other taxes and charges that are levied on the "lowest fare" that are responsible for the price hike. The taxes to Dinard do look a bit hefty compared with other French routes

[quote user="pip24"]

I think there may be another twist to this situation.  If ryanair do collect the money from C.C.  they may charge another charge per person per flight on the C.C.  adding another considerable amount to the cost for a family[/quote]Maybe just me but I don't understand what you're saying ?

[quote user="BJSLIV"]

Looks to me as though their t&cs have it covered!

4.2.2 Taxes, fees and charges imposed on air travel are constantly changing and can be imposed after the date that your reservation has been made. If any such tax, fee or charge is introduced or increased after your reservation has been made you will be obliged to pay it (or any increase) prior to departure. Similarly, if any such tax, fee or charge is abolished or reduced such that it no longer applies to you, or a lesser amount is due, you will be entitled to claim a refund of the difference from us.

[/quote]

Looks to me as if RA could end up being hoisted by their own T&Cs.  If you arrive at the airport in good time and offer to pasy any excess tax, by their own T&Cs which you accepted at the time of booking, they should accept and let you fly.  Prior to departure is the only stated requirement.  There is nothing here about midnight the day before you fly.

Anyone care to try this out on them?

Hi  Ernie.   let me explain the charges I am on about.     When you book to travel with ryanair and pay by credit card, a charge is made by them for using the credit card (I think at the moment it is £1.75 )  But that is not for the whole amount payable on the group of people you book for, it is £1.75 per person for the flight out and £1.75 per person for the flight back. So say you have 5 people in your family and the cost for the whole amount would be say £700 , you don't pay a charge for using the card of just £1.75 . You would have to pay    5 X £1.75 for the flight out and 5 X £1.75 for the flight back . That =  £17.50 extra to pay!   So you can probably understand now that the point I was making was that if ryanair use your credit card  again to get the extra money, will they apply the same charges i.e. another £17.50

Another point to ponder Ernie . If this is a green tax to stop Global Warming  and Global warming does not stop do you think we will be refunded ????????       

I though perhaps that was it but I'm quite surprised, but then it is RA we're talking about...!

Are you absoulutely sure about this though because although I have never booked multiple flights on RA I often have with EJ, sometimes 10 flight in a session, and only paid one Debit Card fee for the lot, not one for each flight, so this does not sound right, or even legal to me..

Re your point 2: Dream on.

It's the same scenario if you want to claim back the taxes for a flight paid for but didn't take. They will mess you around for ever hoping you'll go away until finally telling you that the fees for processing the refunding exceed what you're trying to get back. 

Easyjet charge by booking, but Ryanair always charge  per person, per trip. So for a family of four the return trip credit charge is £14.

I think they might consider levying a further £1.75 a bit rich......but it is Ryanair we are talking about.

Some years ago I found out at Heathrow that the companies who re-fuel the aircraft each have a different price scale  for selling their fuel to airlines ....So  BA being the biggest user of fuel will pay a lot less than Joe Soap Airways  who drops in accasionally and have  the same aircraft... and take on the same amount.....At the time I asked the fuel supplier the questions re price of aircraft fuel ..I was told its a secret what each company is charged .....but ..... I discovered that the cost of the fuel surcharge multiplied by a plane full of passengers  on the flight I was taking..say a couple of hundred ... was about the total cost of fuel use on the thing for the journey ....  Remember no tax on fuel for them...unlike the car user . I was told the short haul flights were subsidising the long haul ones when I asked why this was happening ...surely a bit of tax on the fuel would be a better way than this ....collect the tax from the passenger mess .

[quote user="BJSLIV"]

Easyjet charge by booking, but Ryanair always charge  per person, per trip. So for a family of four the return trip credit charge is £14.

I think they might consider levying a further £1.75 a bit rich......but it is Ryanair we are talking about.

[/quote]I'll have to watch that one then. Thankfully when commuting I'll be using KLM out of Toulouse via Amsterdam to Aberdeen but I'll be advising my visitors to check out EJ Stansted - Bergerac prices along with RA to Rodez as it will make little difference to us in picking up.

I wonder who's going to be running into Brieve eventually ? 

AndyH4  What does 'Prior to Departure' mean.  You are suggesting that one turns up at the desk prior to departure and pay?  That is one view RA (and whom I have never travelled with and will never hopefully have to travel with) say that its payable by midnight before the day of travel.  That is what their view is.

Here is an offer.  Someone turn up at the desk and offer then to pay.  If it is refused and then they cannot get on their flight then I will represent them at the County Court hearing and we will argue the point 'Prior to Departure' before the Judge.  I am not sure whether we would win if we did then RA would go to appeal and then wheel in the big guns like a QC who would not get out of bed for less than £20000 a day.

However if you slipped in the claim through the County Courts to a obscure address of RA you might get judgment before they knew about it.  One no longer has to serve documents at the RO of any company.  Of course their T's and C's might just show where documents should be served.  If you go through a door of any M and S somewhere hanging on a wall is a notice for serving on documents.  That is in the public domain and if RA say serve here then you have to serve there.  As a matter of interest lots and lots of our public companies on the London SE have CCJ's lots because claimaints served writs at obscure addresses and it took huge companies a long time to find out who was dealing with the matter within their organisations.

Due to this thread and an Amazon order that went wrong over Christmas I have been thinking about the differences between debit and credit cards. I know paying the amount is different, but do the card companies have different terms ?

I was once told by a bank that if I gave a debit card number to someone they could in theory, just keep going back and debitting my account until the card expired.. Is this true ? Is a credit card different ?

I think either type of card is liable to missuse in the wrong hands and the only real defence you have is to keep a close eye on your accounts and notify the card provider the instant you notice anything untoward.

One big difference of course is that with a Credit Card you haven't actually lost any money until the bill is due for payment by which time you will hopefully have spotted any fraudulent activity and your card issuer is dealing with it.

With the Debit Card on the other hand it comes straight out of your account so you are instantly down by €xxx and then have to persuade your bank to reimburse you.

Do you get the smae protection with Credit Cards in France as you do in the UK, that is any purchases over £100 which go wrong can be claimed back from the Credit Card company, if not then it's one more good reason to keep hold of a Nationwide Credit Card if you have one.

I do find it irksome that charges are made for Debit Cards and as far as I know it is only the likes of Rynair and Easyjet who levy them.

Considering that there is no other practical way to pay these organisations it's really a part of the ticket price and I can sympatise with the demands that prices shown should be the actual price you're going to have to pay i.e. not the headline 0.99.

We've booked a Ryanair return flight to Liverpool in April and as yet have received no e mail regarding the extra charge. Is it up to us to pursue the matter? Also I cannot fathom why Ryanair make the credit card charge per person per flight when it only involves ONE transaction on ONE card. Also they charge the full whack for a French debit card.

Zak,

Don't count on it. I booked a Stansted/Limoge ticket last week for travel in April and only paid the fiver tax.  They've upped it to a tenner since then, but I'll wait until the dust has settled in February. The undoubted publicity that will be generated in Feb 1 may lead to someone sorting the mess out in my favour. If not, I'll pay up.

[quote user="Zak Dingle"]Hi Ruth,
        it seems that if you made your booking on or after the 7th December 2006 then you have already paid the extra charge.

best regards

Zak
[/quote]

Not Ryannair but Flybe.  I booked after 7th December and they have just e mailed me to ask for an extra £15!!!! Payable 7 days before departure!![:@]

Georgina

We fly out late FEB . Received email from ryan air today, but as yet no money has been taken from my card account. The email says the tax on a EU flight is £10 per person per flight. I thought the increase was £5 p.p per flight. Is it me that has got it wrong or is it the flight operator that is mischievously misleading people.