Will you pay for your on line news ?

Frederick

It would appear that newspapers  were waiting for the first one to make a move to charge for access to their pages on line .... Papers  are bought by thousands and viewed for free by millions ..So .. the move has started to make us pay for what we read on line for free ....But ...will we pay for it ?...http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8470894.stm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/may/07/rupert-murdoch-charging-websites

I put the post on after listening to a radio discussion re journalism ...and should their work be freely  given ? . The arguement was they are professionals and should be properly paid for their articles .... They have a point surely given  the online readership compared with the purchased number of papars ?  I see a bandwagon about to roll here and all the newspapers lining up to jump on ......then what   Oh yes....... the only free one left will be the Daily Mail !  That should please a few here .

[quote user="Frederick"]I put the post on after listening to a radio discussion re journalism ...and should their work be freely  given ? . The arguement was they are professionals and should be properly paid for their articles .... They have a point surely given  the online readership compared with the purchased number of papars ?  [/quote]

Don't journalists get paid for their articles by the newspaper to whom they submit them, regardless of how the newspaper chooses to publish them? 

[quote user="brianagain"][quote user="Frederick"]...the only free one left will be the Daily Mail !  That should please a few here .[/quote]

Perish the thought! However, don't forget the BBC, one reason why the Murdoch empire gets so upset.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8227915.stm

Brian(again)[/quote]

That was how the radio discussion ended ......We could be left with  only the BBC for on line free information .

Yes. Always have done. If you want, information, data, news, unfiltered by journalists and editors with their own personal bias then you have to pay, fortunately the company picks up the bills.

And I will never understand why the BBC internet site is free. They are a broadcaster, where in the BBC Charter does it say that it should pay journalists and then put their articles as content on the web for viewing by the whole world for free?

And why should Google think it can take other people's work for free, and make an obscene profit from advertisers on it's site, and not share that profit with the content providers. That is why the news companies are starting to charge. The only free ones left will be the loony tunes pedalling their bigotted view points. And the dear old over financed BBC[:D]

[quote user="velcorin"]

Yes. Always have done......fortunately the company picks up the bills.

[/quote]Doesn't answer the question "Will you pay for your on line news", you being the operative word [;-)]

As for Google ads, well I for one never click on sponsored links, I copy the actual address of the relevent site or type it in manually.

I have FT Deutschland, Bloomberg, Reuters, AP, FT London. PwC and Accenture subscription services. The quality on the analysis and data is light years away from the free populist stuff. I would pay for it myself, without question. The free stuff, is to be honest, aimed at a market, a market that is by definition, a mass market, and therefore the reporting is at best populist, and at worst very so superficial, as to be misleading.

In a word, No, because, as Coeur de Lion says, many so-called news items are simply regurgitated press releases in the first place. Thankfully, as I'm retired, access to lots of news doesn't feature too highly in my list of priorities, so the BBC website (which I've already paid for via my TV licence) is fine for me.