5 year residency rule says confirmed -reads Connexion newspaper November page8

milkeybar kid

Apparently it's in the printed and published version, rather than on their website.  The website still says that it's awaiting the infamous "circulaire" clarifying the issue (and aren't we all).  Until I see the actual wording of the article, and a verifiable source, I'm doubtful of their facts, especially as a monthly newspaper would probably have been "put to bed" quite a few days ago.

I suspect they are using the same sources that we have seen, and relying on what the British Embassy website is saying.

I'd be very happy to be proved wrong though.

Have today received a reply from Dawn Primarolo, Minister of State for DoH, in response to a question posed on our behalf to Alan Johnson MP, Secretary of State for Health, who in turn was responding to my letter to our own MP - Sir Alan Haselhurst, (still with me?) which ultimately gives nothing new to the concerns we all have, and just re-iterates what we all know, regarding expiry of E106 and non-entitlement to join/remain in the CMU after 31/03/08, until entitlement of E121 comes into force.

And I quote:

"This means that all non-working EU citizens under retirement age, whether already resident in France or planning to move in the future, who are not entitled to healthcare reimbursement via the Form 106 or E109, will be required to have their own personal medical insurance until they reach UK retirement age, at which point they will qualify for entitlement to the Form E121, or until they qualify as a French resident, which is after five years of regular, uninterrupted residence"

(My italics, underling and highlighting)

Mind you, these are British ministers interpretations I guess, and not necessarily how France will interpret the legislations, and their application!

However, nothing was included about any additional information for people with pre-existing conditions, and their inability to get, or afford private medical insurance, just that she was 'sorry to hear of our difficulties'.

Oh well, that's alright then.................that's very comforting and reassuring!

Sir Alan Haselhurst also stated that "France retains a sovereign right to amend it's healthcare regulations. It is very unfortunate that these change the reasonable expectations of many British citizens who have chosen to move there".

[quote user="ebaynut"]

And I quote:

"This means that all non-working EU citizens under retirement age, whether already resident in France or planning to move in the future, who are not entitled to healthcare reimbursement via the Form 106 or E109, will be required to have their own personal medical insurance until they reach UK retirement age, at which point they will qualify for entitlement to the Form E121, or until they qualify as a French resident, which is after five years of regular, uninterrupted residence"

[/quote]

Do you think she copied that straight off the British Embassy website, must have taken ages [blink]

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1165343995323#health

All inactive EU citizens under retirement age (ie those already resident in France and those planning to move in future) who are not entitled to healthcare reimbursement (through the E106 or E109 forms), will be required to have their own personal medical insurance until they reach UK retirement age (and therefore qualify for entitlement to the E121 form), or until they qualify as a French resident (which is after 5 years of regular, uninterrupted residence).

A translation of that could be ""All non working EU citizens under retirement age whether already resident in France or planning to move etcetcetc will be required to have their own personal medical insurance until they qualify as a French resident which is after five years of regular uninterrupted resaidence""

IMO Just means that you no longer need private medical insurance after 5 years ,not that the French are going to give you it..

I would suggest you ask for clarification

Boiling a Frog makes an interesting point though, inactive British residents who have lived in France for less than 5 years will need to have health cover as a condition of residency.  After 5 years they no longer need to justify their residency by proving that they will not be a drain on the French Social Security system, so it could be that re-entry to the CMU is a red herring.  It may just be that after 5 years they can, if they wish, continue to live in France without any form of health insurance whatsoever.

One of my friends has found out that he is considered "inactif" because he is working, but NOT for a French employer, therefore he pays his money to CMU but has also received the letter saying after next March he is no longer covered.

So it is affecting a lot of people, not necessarily early retirees.   Someone needs to look at the situation again it seems

Is Dawn the same Dawn who was Brown's right hand man and I use that description with care when he was at the Treasury and is she the same Dawn who represents a Bristol constituency and did she not take over from Tony Wedgewood Benn.  The same Benn as in Hilary Benn?

I would not trust her comments be they by her Civil Servants or whatsoever.

I grew up in the valleys of South Wales and when the words of politicians could be relied upon otherwise they truly faced the public and the public was unforgiving.

Just to clarify two points

1, If you live in france for more than 183 days in any tax year then you are resident for french tax & must fill in the french declaration.

2, Under EU law, accepted by the french government, if you live in france in a stable & legal manner for 5 years then you gain the right to permanent residence. It also means that you must be treated in the same way as a french national. So, if an inactive french person can join CMU then so can we.

Hope this helps

[quote user="rothrugby"]2, Under EU law, accepted by the french government, if you live in france in a stable & legal manner for 5 years then you gain the right to permanent residence. It also means that you must be treated in the same way as a french national. So, if an inactive french person can join CMU then so can we.[/quote]

I wonder how many french French residents will be getting this letter from Jays' CPAM in the Breaking News on Health Cover thread[:@]

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/24/1023612/ShowPost.aspx#1023612

That'd be something like this then (taken from the Telegraph on the 2nd October http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?xml=/global/2007/10/02/frenchhealth.xml )

Stephanie Gaillard, head of communication for social security, said the French health ministry was aware of the UK statement. She told me: "We were fully informed and worked together on this. They are right to say that people who have been in the country for five years qualify as French resident."

And, in connection with existing conditions...

Mme Gaillard said: "It will take perhaps two weeks to decide what to do here. This will be a decision for the minister and his advisers."

Is the article you have substantially a re-hash of this?

[quote user="Cat"]

And, in connection with existing conditions...

Mme Gaillard said: "It will take perhaps two weeks to decide what to do here. This will be a decision for the minister and his advisers."

[/quote]

Does this mean it will take them 2

weeks to decide whether to honour EU law or just ignore it.

Do you knwo when the above statement was made (i.e. is the 2 weeks up yet) ?

Ian