Not a good morning

Rob Roy

One of our labradors died in the night. He had been off his food for a couple of days and very subdued, and late last night I noticed he was looking a bit bloated so we decided we would take him to the vet today. When I came down this morning he was dead. I feel absolutely terrible, and so guilty that I didn't do something sooner.

His name was Billy and he was only 2 years old on the 10th of this month.          R.I.P. my beautiful boy.[kiss]

[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i312/Bouillaguet/BillybythefireNov2007.jpg[/IMG]

Billy last November

[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i312/Bouillaguet/BillyonRichardslap.jpg[/IMG]

His favourite seat!

[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i312/Bouillaguet/TeddyBilly.jpg[/IMG]

Billy and Teddy

Oh that is so sad.  We lost our darling old Ed not two weeks ago although he was an old chap, not a youngster as yours was.   Needless to say, I know how it feels but for the dog's sake at least it was during his sleep and he passed peacefully like Ed did.

A small consolation is that maybe you will consider taking in a rescue case as we did, to give a lovely family life to another needy soul who is waiting out there for you to come and find them.  We did.  Charley is adoreable and whilst he cannot replace Ed in our thoughts or hearts, well we love him anyway.   Love heals a broken heart  [:)]

We probably will do that Framboise, but not yet. Teddy (the other one in the pictures) was a rescue - you can just see in the photo of him by the chair that he has a scar above his eye, that is where he was hit with an axe by his previous owner. He cringes if anyone lifts an arm near him, and anyone carrying a stick gets barked at, so goodness knows what he went through before. Otherwise he loves everyone, which shows what a lovely nature he has.

We also have a dear old black lab, Jet, who is now 14 and rather arthritic and going deaf, but still full of beans and until he goes I'm sticking to 2 dogs only - along with the three cats and two donkeys!! We are moving house at the end of May, so there is enough going on for the moment.

[quote user="Rob Roy"]

I feel absolutely terrible, and so guilty that I didn't do something sooner.

[/quote]

Please don't beat yourself up. There have been a few times when I've thought "why didn't I do something sooner" but, as the saying goes, hindsight is wonderful. When you went to bed, you didn't think it was serious or you'd have got him to a vet there and then. I don't know anyone who's clairvoyant - we can only do what we feel is right at the time and sometimes we get it wrong - with people too. I'm sorry you've had such a shock but you gave him a good life, I'm sure and you've got lots of good memories.

Oh this makes me so sad for you...

You know how much I love labs.. I have my lab who s 2 years old as well, I can't even start to imagine how you must feel......

But you don't have to feel guilty about anything...

You loved him and were ready to take him to the vet in the morning ..

Your pics are lovely..

I i:magine how hurt you must be..    

You are in my thoughts, I mean it ..      Régine and Shadow

That is a terrible thing, it looks like a "torsion d'estomac", not sure what it's called in English.  Their stomach gets full of gas and swells up and sometimes turns (so torsion).  We have saved them sometimes from that by an emergency operation, but several months or more later, they seem to do it again.  Some vets now fix the stomach when they operate so that it cannot turn.

They do not really know the cause, often in larger dogs, whether it is too much exercise after they have eaten, drinking cold water, etc., they just don't know.  But one vet told us that since people with larger dogs such as Great Danes, who are very prone, give them smaller meals instead of one large meal, they seem to get less cases of it.  It is often in older dogs, but, as you have very unfortunately experienced, can also happen in younger dogs.

It is terribly sad Rob Roy, I really feel for you.  

That's such very sad news, Rob Roy.

I get the impression that most pet owners feel some sense of guilt on the death of their pet, whatever the circumstances. It seems to be part of the job. [:(]

What a lovely boy he was though. I hope you start to feel better soon. 

I'm so sorry to hear such sad news, but please don't feel guilty or try to blame yourself in any way.  If you had taken him to the vet & you had still lost him you would have wished you had kept him at home where he was comfortable.  The "what if's" & "why didn't we's" will probably be with you for quite a while & unfortunately they can never be answered, but you will always know that Billy was happy & loved & you really did all you could for him.

My thoughts are with you.  We have an elderly black lab (14) who is not doing too well, just keep an eye on her but I have the feeling it's not going to be long.  Such a shame at a young age but, as with posters before, you did all you could in the circumstances and he knows he was loved.  All the best.

I am so sorry, we always have had Labradors, but any animal dying leaves such a big gap. We have had our share of grief two years ago with our Lab and our two cats dying (of old age-but we had to make the decision, which is so hard and makes you feel so guilty). We have been so shocked that my husband will not hear of us having any animals ever again. But I feel that the pleasure they give you during their lives greatly surmounts the heartache at the end.

I would also like to say how very sorry I am to hear of the loss of your beloved dog.  Sadly I think Christine Animal is probably right.  As soon as I read your posting, I thought it sounded like bloat or 'gastric torsion'.  This is a very nasty condition often suffered by large and deep chested dogs.  As the owner of a large breed (deerhound) I live in constant fear of this illness, especially after one of his litter mates died of it.  Sadly even the vets don't really know what causes it.  There are a number of theories, stuff about exercise and diet, but none of it conclusive.  It is really just a case of being aware of some of the symptoms (which are not always obvious and vary greatly) and watching your dogs carefully.  Talk to your vet about this.  He might be able to give you some information to help for the future.  It is also correct that once a dog has suffered gastric torsion, they are prone to it again.  Sometimes in bad cases, the stomach is stitched into position to prevent it turning but it is not a cure all.  None of this of course helps you at this time.  It must have been a terribly shock and I can only again say how sorry I am and send you best wishes.  Comfort yourself with the thought that he was a much loved and well cared for dog in a world where there are many who are not.

Such sad, sad news and all animal lovers know what you are going through now and such a terrible shock for you as well.  We lost our beloved Boxer dog aged six years very suddenly just before we came to France and the condition was similar. It normally affects barrel chested animals and the stomach starts to rotate and affects other organs. Our vet said even if we had got him to the surgery it would have been unlikely that he would have survived as an operation has to be performed the moment the symtoms start and it is not immediately recognized as they appear to be just "off colour " for a while.  Please do not feel guilty as you were not to know and you know how loved he was and he knew that as well. My thoughts are with you.

Thank you so much to everyone who has sent such kind messages, and been so supportive. I also think it was probably 'Canine Bloat' as described on some pet healthcare sites I researched yesterday; Billy was a dreadful glutton, and I have never had a dog who ate his food so fast so perhaps he gulped in too much air the last night he ate and then started to feel uncomfortable, but without any other symptoms to start with.

Looking again at the first picture I posted of him it made me smile - the two marks on his muzzle are probably something he collected from the dishwasher - every time I filled the top basket he would be there trying to lick all the drips from the cups, glasses, pudding dishes etc (even though he got told off for doing it) Every so often I had to sponge his head clean!

No good saying rest peacefully Billy - you never could sit still for long! Say hello to Amber for me and enjoy his company over the other side of  the rainbow bridge.[kiss] (Amber was our old lab's brother who died 2 years ago, before we had Teddy or Billy  )

It was lovely reading your last thread...you are starting to remember the funny things he did and eventually, and it will take time, all the good memories will overtake the pain you are feeling now. I still cry for my lovely Boxer and miss him so much but we have our very, very old Cocker Spaniel lady 13 yrs. and we have a french  rescue Labrador and we love him dearly but oh how I miss my beloved Henry.  It has been two years now and we often sit and talk about the scatty things he did but bringing Murphy the rescue Lab into our home with all his funny little ways eased the pain. I know in time you may well have another dog and that one will have it's own character and charm and will get under your skin but your beloved boy will always have a certain part of your heart that no other dog will have.  Talk to us doggy lovers anytime you are feeling low as we are all here for you.

Hello Rob Roy,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It does seem to sound like bloat and as you have said he did used to wolf his food down!

I had a dog that was like that at one time, however I bought a food bowl stand so it was higher and it seemed to help him and I have used it ever since. Lewis is pretty food obsessed and eats fairly quickly and if I put his food on the floor he really does bolt it down so I stick to the stand and he calms down and takes more time. The stand allows a larger breed dog to be stood fairly straight so they are not hunched over a bit like the difference us humans have between eating at a table and eating from a tray on our laps, helps with the digestion the more upright we are so I suppose it follows for dogs too.

Anyway I really hope Billy enjoys running around Rainbow Bridge and you take comfort from that.

Right I'm off to give Lewis an extra cuddle now.

Thanks Anna, I'll be in touch with you regarding our new address (we are mad - taking on another renovation!).

Thanks, Morse. Do you happen to know of anyone looking for a good home for a donkey - I know someone who's looking for a companion for one she has already.