Motorway Tolls

Richard

I always pay by credit card at the peages. It's much much quicker, so I'm always amazed that so few others use their card - especially when the queues are bad. Do they all know something that I don't - like it's cheaper to pay cash?

Having just read the threads on the doofah/doofer/doffer just posted above, I'm now really tempted to get a Tag. Not so much because of the time saved but because there'd be no need to wake up the sleeping passenger, which is frequently me.

" I always pay by credit card at the peages. It's much much quicker, so I'm always amazed that so few others use their card - especially when the queues are bad. Do they all know something that I don't - like it's cheaper to pay cash? "

No cheaper but I suspect the majority of people in France do not have credit or debit cards as they cost money and the French may not trust them. Look at how frequently Supermarket visits are paid for in cash rather than by card.

So long as you are using the right card of course [;-)]

Thanks for the computer bits BTW, perfect not only for my little project but also keeping me in OH's good books. She was hinting that I should buy her a laptop but I've managed to side step that one - for now. Maybe for Christmas !

According to Midi Libre, one of the leading jousters (the local water-borne jousting type) from Sete had a nasty accident at a pèage the other day; as he was reaching to get his ticket, a car coming up behind did not stop and ploughed into his car. As a result, his car was pushed forwards, trapping his arm between the upright of the car window and the metal boxes of the ticket machine. Ouch! Anyone for a doofer now?

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="JandM"]

I always pay by credit card at the peages. It's much much quicker, so I'm always amazed that so few others use their card - especially when the queues are bad. Do they all know something that I don't - like it's cheaper to pay cash?

Having just read the threads on the doofah/doofer/doffer just posted above, I'm now really tempted to get a Tag. Not so much because of the time saved but because there'd be no need to wake up the sleeping passenger, which is frequently me.

[/quote]

It might be quicker by card than by cash but I get a very smug feeling when there are queues at the cash and card booths and I just sail through the Telepeage lane. Even more satisfying are those who flew past me further back down the road and I am a fair way from the Peage booths before they fly past me again.

The doofer really is the business - and from Alis no charges or deposits.

Paul

After having driven up from Montpellier to Calais on my own in a right hand drive car recently I decided to get a doofer. What a good buy! Takes the hassle out of trying to manoeuvre as close as possible to the booth to lean over and take the ticket, or else stopping and getting out and walking round.

However I am now, again, going up the same route to UK to pick up some furniture in a French hire van, is it in order to unclip my doofer from the car's windscreen and hold it up at the peage through the windscreen in the hire van, or wave it about or whatever?

[quote user="Ceejay"]After having driven up from Montpellier to Calais on my own in a right hand drive car recently I decided to get a doofer. What a good buy! Takes the hassle out of trying to manoeuvre as close as possible to the booth to lean over and take the ticket, or else stopping and getting out and walking round.
However I am now, again, going up the same route to UK to pick up some furniture in a French hire van, is it in order to unclip my doofer from the car's windscreen and hold it up at the peage through the windscreen in the hire van, or wave it about or whatever?
[/quote]

There are different classes of vehicle, classe 1,2 & 5 depending on height up to 2m, between 2-3m and over 4m so you should have a different doofer for a van than a car, don't know how you will get on with the car one in a van but if it doesn't work be very careful how you reverse out of the bay!

Théière

Thanks for the reply, but I read the blurb APPR gave with the doofer and, as I read it, it is possible to use a high barrier one if e.g. you have a roof rack. However I don't know if the doofer receiver can tell if it is a different class of vehicle actually using it. Back to square one really!!!

Well the answer is that it can't.  However, if you use the Telepeage only lane it will have an orange and black barrier swung accross the booth at the max height for class one ie car plus roof rack etc.  If you were driving a van taller than this you might hear a warning signal of CRRRUNNHCCHHHHHH  as the top is peeled off.

The purpose of this barrier is to encourage cars only to use it and speed up the whole process.

So, by using the doofer in an 'Ordinary' lane you are OK as they all have the receivers anyway

It strikes me that if you used a car doofer with another class of vehicle its possible that  the operater at the exit booth could stop you but I doubt it somehow

Glad to see this posting.

Have had a "doofer" for some time and find it excellent especially when travelling alone in a ride hand drive car.

Am for the first time possibly going to be towing a trailer around or below the car height and wonder how this works out.

Any info would be gratefully received.

[quote user="WendyG"]Am for the first time possibly going to be towing a trailer around or below the car height and wonder how this works out.

Any info would be gratefully received.[/quote]

If you have a trailer that is less than 2 metres high, (and assuming that the total mass of the combination is less than 3.5 tonnes) you are still a Class 1 and can go through the telepeage lane.

Regards

Pickles

• 3 weeks later...

Received two doofers today in the post classe 1 & 2 with a free map of France showing the tolls and a Gillet in matching dayglow pouch emblazoned with Alis (relation with Ali s as initials so don't know how long I keep that)

Stirling service from Christine at Alis.