Difference in driving techniques - which is right

HoneySuckleDreams

No1 son is being taught to drive...sorry... been having driving lessons

He has been taught not to put the handbreak on at lights etc, but to depress the clutch and cover the break. I was taught that this is bad as it burns out the clutch bearings (admittedly I learnt to drive in a Vauxhall Viva). Besides, if your foot slips off the clutch, chances are that you hit the car in front before your brain gets you to hit the breaks.

Has something been lost in translation, or is this the norm?

Russethouse said: "What happens on a hill ? Would he have to keep the revs up and the clutch engaged enough to keep the car static ?
I learned to drive 40 years ago, I think I'm with you on this ....."

They're taught to quickly swap their foot from the the brake to the accelerator. The result is that most French drivers slip back when starting from fairly gentle slopes.

Our daughter was was told not to pass the steering wheel through her hands as I had shown her, but to slap it on one side or the other like a circus seal, as the instructor did........

Her driving school parking was positioned on one corner of a busy cross roads with traffic lights and learners entered and left. Each time the learner drivers entered or left they  made manoeuvres that they would have been fined for in Britain.

Steve

There is no hard and fast rule, the emergency/parking brake (it's only called a handbrake because you operate it by hand [;-)]) should be used when appropriate and that is not every time you come to a stop. Judging when to use it is an integral part of learning to drive and you will fail a UK test if you apply it excessively or unnecessarily.

In the UK the hand break should be used when stationary.  Reason being, if you are sat at a junction with your foot on the break and you are shunted from behind you will stay still whilst the car will move forward until you catch up.  This will result in your foot being lifted off the break and the car rolling forward, possible in to a busy road or car in front.

French law will probably state that if you are in dpt 13 you need to go and see a prefecture who will deny all knowledge of anything at all but what ever he doesn't know will be totally wrong in dpt 43.   [;-)]

This helps explain something that always mystified me. Some years back I had a RHD DS 21 for a while (I think in the end I spent more time getting it past its MOT than driving it, as most of the connections in the wiring harness had dried out and various lights would stop working randomly between preparing it and arriving at the MOT test station).

The parking brake was applied with a small foot pedal just to the right of the accelerator. It was let off with a separate hand release below the dash (I think - does anyone else remember?): but the release was all or nothing. This made conventional UK-style hill starts almost impossible, as you couldn't release the parking brake gradually. But for the French style of driving (slipping the clutch on hill starts) it makes a lot more sense.

In South Africa they stop you on a slope, put a matchbox behind the rear wheel; if you squash it..you fail the test.

Effectively monitors the learner drivers ability to slowly release the emergency brake whilst releasing the clutch in conjunction with required accelerator depression. Simple effective test for everyone.

Merc's have a foot operated hand break[8-)] but I'm sure it's only on the autos.  I have a Scenic and thew hand break is applied by a button on the dash and comes off automatically when you start moving.  Well, that's what's supposed to happen any way, mine's been okay so far but when the battery went flat outside the house I couldn't get it off to bump start the car.  There is an emergency release but I'm sure you need to take it to the realer for a reset so it would probably be cheaper to buy a new battery.

[quote user="crossy67"] There is an emergency release but I'm sure you need to take it to the realer for a reset so it [/quote]

I don't think so - the Lagunas works just fine, when I found where it was[:$], because in the car wash you have to turn the engine off as you are dragged through the washing kit and being dragged with the handbrake on would be a triffle difficult.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"][quote user="pachapapa"]In South Africa they stop you on a slope, put a matchbox behind the rear wheel; if you squash it..you fail the test.[/quote]

When I was learning to drive, my instructor made me stop on a slope then said "Pass me your wristwatch....." [:-))][/quote]

EEEK! When I took my test, the chosen spot for the hill start was on a street which still had cobbles ... and it had rained earlier in the day (and no, you don't have to be very old to have experienced that in some parts of the UK)

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

When I was learning to drive, my instructor made me stop on a slope then said "Pass me your wristwatch....." [:-))][/quote]

I wasn't sure if this was an urban myth, but my father told me that was how he was taught in the Army, though with the addition of an egg in front of the watch so that it allowed a degree of movement where the watch might only get covered in yolk (austin truck with a gun in tow)[:-))] (He added that in their later retreat to Dunkirk they were told to disarm the gun and dump it in a stream, then on arrival at Dunkirk set fire to the truck)

[quote user="JohnFB"]Way back when i took driving lessons in both London and Paris over the same period, don't ask why, and i remember that was one of the differences, Handbrake UK, clutch Paris. Helped for making a quick get away at lights.
JFB
[/quote]

Not always true.

I was horrified when, many years ago, in Manchester, a friend sat at a traffic light for several long minutes with his lovely Jaguar in first gear with the clutch depressed.

When I told him that this could damage the clutch he replied that he had been taught to do exactly this by BSM.

And that was in the days of carbon faced clutch release bearings [:-))]

Twice in the last three years  I have had a driving lesson from a French school, as part of a medical assessment. I drove just as I always have (apart from PaDs and other local rules) and on both occasions the instructors told me I could pass a test tomorrow.  Now I guess I just have to learn to drive, Paul![:D]

Thus, HSD, imho - as long as you obey the code de la route, the technique is less relevant than the outcome.  My o/h rides the clutch and it makes my teeth grind.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Twice in the last three years  I have had a driving lesson from a French school, as part of a medical assessment. I drove just as I always have (apart from PaDs and other local rules) and on both occasions the instructors told me I could pass a test tomorrow.  Now I guess I just have to learn to drive, Paul![:D]

Thus, HSD, imho - as long as you obey the code de la route, the technique is less relevant than the outcome.  My o/h rides the clutch and it makes my teeth grind.

[/quote]

What more can I add about women drivers [6]

Seriously, it was in the days of going through the gears to slow down and feeding the steering wheel through the hands a little at a time. I believe that pupils are now taught to slow down using the brakes and not give the gearbox and clutch grief.

The garages must love the money they make from MrC

Will add that when I was a teenager a married couple who were friends of my parents were always arguing about driving, he always accused her of being no good. She therefore proposed that they both go for their advanced driving licence. She passed, he did not.

They eventually divorced.

Paul

In fairness, Paul, his Fabia's 10 and still on its original clutch.  In fact, I don't think it's something either of us has ever had to have replaced on any of our cars.  We are both pretty easy on them and do little but routine maintenance with the odd tyres, brakes, cam belts etc. in spite of being - how can I put this?- "enthusiastic" drivers.[Www]

EDIT : I tell a lie.  Not much left on my old Micra now that still works.[:-))]  I guess it's in car heaven.

[quote user="pachapapa"]In South Africa they stop you on a slope, put a matchbox behind the rear wheel; if you squash it..you fail the test.[/quote]

My father taught me that way, although it wasn't part of the official test.  The motivation was a bit different; until I stopped squashing matchboxes, there was no chance of being allowed to borrow his car even if I did pass the test.

[quote user="allanb"][quote user="pachapapa"]In South Africa they stop you on a slope, put a matchbox behind the rear wheel; if you squash it..you fail the test.[/quote]
My father taught me that way, although it wasn't part of the official test.  The motivation was a bit different; until I stopped squashing matchboxes, there was no chance of being allowed to borrow his car even if I did pass the test.
[/quote]

Recently one of my daughters was demonstrating hill starts with an Audi 5 equipped with an electronic-mechanical brake.

A sort of button thing on the console between the seats to release or just accelerate & go.

The vehicule knows! You know!