Our Summer holidays are booked for October

alittlebitfrench

Why would anyone take a holiday in France (or anywhere) in the summer months ?

Overpriced, congested, tooo feckìng hot, wildfires, flooding, hailstorms, strikes,  crime….need I go on.

Peeps need wake up to the new order.

Those who are stuuupid enough to go on holiday in the summer months deserve their fate.

Enjoy Dover tonight you mupets.

59 minutes ago, Lehaut said:

Have to agree, we took ours in June.  Mind you it is more difficult if you have kids at school.

School holidays have to change. They were completely con even before the climate crisis.

3 weeks xmas, 3 weeks spring, 4 weeks summer, 3 weeks toussaient.

Summer holidays to travel abroad are finished. Peeps need to get that into there head.

Edited by alittlebitfrench

23 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

Summer holidays to travel abroad are finished.

The great thing we found with the French school holidays was the different dates for different regions.  For several years we took the two boys down to to Sanguinet in the camping car.  Wild camping by the side of the lake for the Easter holidays it was like a deserted tropical island.  The camping infrastructures were there, but all deserted, a post apocalyptic feeling  as that region was not on holiday.

The summers we spent on the Brittany coast, never crowded and certainly no need to go abroad with children for holidays.  

On 27/07/2023 at 17:18, alittlebitfrench said:

Overpriced, congested, tooo feckìng hot, wildfires, flooding, hailstorms, strikes,  crime….need I go on.

Those who are stuuupid enough to go on holiday in the summer months deserve their fate.

Have you tried counselling? Personally I think you have to be mad to be counselled or see a psychiatrist!!! I'm off to the USA in a couple of weeks; Business class to London, posh hotel, First class to New York, (doesn't everybody?) see a show, on to San Francisco, First again of course. do a competition and then a car down the East Coast, Disneyland, Universal studios I'm still a kid at heart!) On the way back, Death Valley, Yosemite National Park, maybe pop in to Las Vegas ,  And you want to goon holiday in October!!! Of course, if you travel zoo class and are dragging children around and have to stay on (God forbid!) a camp site I can understand holidays being a drag and needing to get away in October!!! I have found being comfortable on my travels a sublime pleasure, it's how you do it, anyone can slum it!!!!!!

Have you tried counselling? Personally I think you have to be mad to be counselled or see a psychiatrist!!! I'm off to the USA in a couple of weeks; Business class to London, posh hotel, First class to New York, (doesn't everybody?) see a show, on to San Francisco, First class again of course. do a competition and then a car down the West Coast, Sampling the small towns with their cuisine and wines, Disneyland, Universal studios I'm still a kid at heart!) On the way back, Death Valley, Yosemite National Park, maybe pop in to Las Vegas ,  And you want to go on holiday in October!!! Of course, if you travel zoo class and are dragging children around and have to stay on (God forbid!) a camp site or one of those Gite things I can understand holidays being a drag and needing to get away in October when everything is cheap (and nasty!)!!! I have found being comfortable on my travels a sublime pleasure, it's how you do it, anyone can slum it!!!!!!

20 minutes ago, Ken said:

Have you tried counselling? Personally I think you have to be mad to be counselled or see a psychiatrist!!! I'm off to the USA in a couple of weeks; Business class to London, posh hotel, First class to New York, (doesn't everybody?) see a show, on to San Francisco, First class again of course. do a competition and then a car down the West Coast, Sampling the small towns with their cuisine and wines, Disneyland, Universal studios I'm still a kid at heart!) On the way back, Death Valley, Yosemite National Park, maybe pop in to Las Vegas ,  And you want to go on holiday in October!!! Of course, if you travel zoo class and are dragging children around and have to stay on (God forbid!) a camp site or one of those Gite things I can understand holidays being a drag and needing to get away in October when everything is cheap (and nasty!)!!! I have found being comfortable on my travels a sublime pleasure, it's how you do it, anyone can slum it!!!!!!

My sister went to the god old US of A a few months back for a three week road trip. She said the country was a dump. Never will she go back.

Everyone I speak to says the same. 

I would go just to see….but I am not spending 6 hrs on a plane. And yes we can afford to go first class as well.

In terms of my trip…..well…we are off to Scotland. By train…and sleeping on it. 

Enjoy your first class trip to hell.

4 minutes ago, alittlebitfrench said:

My sister went to the god old US of A a few months back for a three week road trip. She said the country was a dump. Never will she go back.

Everyone I speak to says the same. 

I would go just to see….but I am not spending 6 hrs on a plane. And yes we can afford to go first class as well.

In terms of my trip…..well…we are off to Scotland. By train…and sleeping on it. 

Enjoy your first class trip to hell.

As I said , it's how you travel! I am fairly regularly in the USA, no problems at all. Of course if you travel like a bum then you will be down there with the dregs and not want to go back. Enjoy your train trip, that's if they are running of course!!!

23 minutes ago, Ken said:

As I said , it's how you travel! I am fairly regularly in the USA, no problems at all. Of course if you travel like a bum then you will be down there with the dregs and not want to go back. Enjoy your train trip, that's if they are running of course!!!

You strike me as someone who would be fairly regular in the USA. Is that the food ? You like burgers ? Food is a problem for me in America. Because they don’t seem to have discovered what food it is yet. Oh yes…and guns. They like shooting each other. 

Like I said….enjoy your trip. Burgers and guns. Sounds fun. Even at 1st class prices.

I love trains….I would do the Amtrak in Canada.

I costed the Orient Express but that is like 20 k….and goes nowhere I want to go.

3 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

You strike me as someone who would be fairly regular in the USA. Is that the food ? You like burgers ? Food is a problem for me in America. Because they don’t seem to have discovered what food it is yet. Oh yes…and guns. They like shooting each other. 

Like I said….enjoy your trip. Burgers and guns. Sounds fun. Even at 1st class prices.

I love trains….I would do the Amtrak in Canada.

I costed the Orient Express but that is like 20 k….and goes nowhere I want to go.

Yes, I can see why you like trains!!!! Well cheap trains anyway; not the Orient Express!

29 minutes ago, Ken said:

Yes, I can see why you like trains!!!! Well cheap trains anyway; not the Orient Express!

I have a few problems with the Orient Express.

1) It does not go anywhere I want to go.

2) You might meet the Beckhams, Gordon Ramsey….and Ken.

3) You might meet the Beckhams, Gordon Ramsey….and Ken.

I had to do that twice. Lol….I can’t tolerate the thought of meeting and spending time on a train with classless idiots.

4) It dont go to Scotland.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ken said:

Sampling the small towns with their cuisine and wines, Disneyland....................

Best you sample a few extra wines and possibly a couple of shots while in Anaheim then. It might go some way to numbing your senses, prior to your venture into the park, in view of some of your previous posts. 

My first visit to Disneyland was spring 1968 and the only edgy appearances were made by The Cowsills (the band the Partridge Family was styled around) and The Lovin' Spoonful.

Fast-forward to 2023 and THESE are the kinda edgy appearances you're likely to encounter.😲

Where is California's Desantis when you need him.

I don't find it necessary to hold back until October, as every day is a holiday for me.😊

Ken's holiday sounds great ... for a millionaire. Having been to the States many times over the past 30 years we came away from our trip last September knowing that we won't be going back, it's becoming so expensive now making it out of reach of the vast majority which is probably a deliberate policy to ensure it becomes the playground of the wealthy.     

Went to Scotland last year to do the NC500 (Applecross 500).  On a motorbike, absolutely stunning, despite it being only 6°C at one point in thick fog and driving rain.  

Send us a picture of the Glenfinnan Viaduct if its on your train agenda.  Got to see the Black 5 puffing away in Mallaig one year.

4 hours ago, Lehaut said:

Went to Scotland last year to do the NC500 (Applecross 500).  On a motorbike, absolutely stunning, despite it being only 6°C at one point in thick fog and driving rain.  

Send us a picture of the Glenfinnan Viaduct if its on your train agenda.  Got to see the Black 5 puffing away in Mallaig one year.

We have done the applecross route in the snow many many years back. Which was fun. It is beautiful. But I think the top route into Applecross is more interesting. Personally. 

The planning is to go Inverness…around Loch Ness…then up to Lochcarron, Torridon, Gairloch back to Inverness.

I love Scotland. The most beautiful and welcoming country in the world

France needs to learn a lesson in those respects.

Hope Ken enjoys First class San Francisco….it sounds loverly……not. Lol.

18 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

I love Scotland. The most beautiful and welcoming country in the world

I lived and worked there for over 8 years, east and west coast, diving and sailing some of the great sites on both sides.  My wife is a Scot.  It was a toss up between moving to France in 1996 or Oban.  It still tugs at the heart strings when we visit.

image.thumb.jpeg.e65bba68457fec0f98e23bf4a54361a5.jpeg

Lehaut, that explains why you never complained about the cold in the Norman winters!😄  You must be totally hardened to it.

I love Normandie and I have visited at different times of the year.  I wanted to live there, in that beautiful scenery and the towns full of wonderful architecture.  Until that is, when we visited one year in early May and I couldn't leave the hotel without discomfort because it was sooooo cold!

Me, I'm from the effete south in England and I didn't even like the winters in Wales.  Welsh winters, for heaven's sake...in the south and by the Bristol Channel.  Didn't know what cold was!

However, I now love la neige.  Sounds muffled, incredible light, air sharp and giving you that delightful little shiver when you open your shutters in the morning...just makes me feel alive and well.

20 hours ago, menthe said:

Lehaut, that explains why you never complained about the cold in the Norman winters!😄  You must be totally hardened to it.

Ha, got it in one Menthe.  Dived under the ice in frozen Scottish sea lochs for fun, many hours spend on an open submarine bridge in snow storms off the West coast gives me the ability to wear shorts and T shirts until late October.  Our neighbours here just shiver looking at me 🙂 

Our first winter in Normandy new to the house with two small children the fosse blocked.  At -15°C outside  the ground was so cold it took two hours to break up the soil with a pick axe, real winters in those days.  Knowing it had snowed by the silence outside was a lovely thing to wake up to.

On 27/07/2023 at 17:18, alittlebitfrench said:

We all have different preferences when it comes to travel. Some of the reasons why others opt to travel during Summer is School Breaks - summer months usually align with school vacations, the Weather - many people enjoy the warmer temperatures to engage in outdoor activities, relax on the beach, and enjoy nature and scenery. Summer is when many natural attractions are at their best, such as lush landscapes, blooming flowers, and clear skies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, franceandbeyond said:

We all have different preferences when it comes to travel. Some of the reasons why others opt to travel during Summer is School Breaks - summer months usually align with school vacations, the Weather - many people enjoy the warmer temperatures to engage in outdoor activities, relax on the beach, and enjoy nature and scenery. Summer is when many natural attractions are at their best, such as lush landscapes, blooming flowers, and clear skies.

I have a feeling you know the perfect destination. 😉

• Haha 3

Ah therein lies the beauty of the reply😁  You need to work it out for yourself.  Could be a case of if the cap fits.....

BTW I disagree with you about the advantages of holidaying in the summer.  My "truc" is walking and, where I live, walking is not a pleasant activity in the summer unless you are prepared to get up at the crack of dawn to walk, before the sun rises and browns you like bread crust.

My favourite time of year is the spring.  Everything is so fresh and, well, so YOUNG😉  Different shades of green with the new growth everywhere.  Then there are the spring flowers, catkins, new growth everywhere that are not yet hardened enough to impede your passage through fields and country paths.

Biggest PLUS of all, no insects yet to sting the hell out of you and bring you out in bumps and itches.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...