smartphone recommendations please

menthe

Yes, the time has come to buy one.  After resisting for years (no reason, just being "different"!) I have decided to get one of these.

Will prefer android as I do not have anything Apple.

What phone do you have, are you pleased with it, do I need to have minimum foundation in rocket science to make friends with it?

Probably buy a reconditioné to see if I actually like using it.

All suggestions and explanations extremely welcome as I know rather less than your average 4-year old about these gadgets.

That's funny, I liked my Samsung Galaxy, however after about 8 years, we decided to replace them (husband and I had the same model).

The current phone is a One Plus Nord phone.  I've had it for about 2 years now and find it easy to use.  Works well for us.  Husband has the same model.

Harnser, I WAS looking at a "samsung galaxy something or other" if only because it's a name I recognise!  Hmmm I'll wait a bit for other comments🙂

Lori, I looked up the One Plus Nord and it is apparently Chinese made.  Not that I think Chinese spies are looking at all my textos but maybe I'll keep looking a bit more!

Thanks both for your input. 

The current range of Nokia phones are very good, plus they use the stock Android version (called Android One), so there are no manufacturers nasties laying in the background.

I am on my second one in six years, so they are very reliable, and they are guaranteed updates for 3 years.

Both our boys have the Google Pixels, very reliable phones, pure google.  I have a Huawei P30 pro plus, the last one I think before the ban took place.  I got it as it has a 5 times optical zoom built in and I find the pictures take with it of excellent quality.

One thing to consider is the ear phone connections.  Most new phones have a USB C charger and often this is used to connect a pair of ear phones (if you have them) or connection through Bluetooth.  

if you preferer the more traditional  3.5mm jack plug type connection then you need to check the phone you choose has one of these.

Crabtree, cajal and Lehaut, many thanks.  You have given me lots of food for thought.

Does it matter which version of android or is it bigger the number the better it is?  Eg is 14 better than 13 etc.

Also how much storage do you think would be "enough" for average use?  I'm not one for selfies.

Lastly, Lehaut, you do take the most stunning photos.

• Like 1

The bigger the number the latest the Android system, whether they are better is up to interpretation, but the newer is supposed to be better.

If you buy one that is v13 or older make sure they can be upgraded to the newer system, as some manufacturers will not necessarily upgrade. I can only speak for Nokia in recent years, they update monthlywith security and minor fixes, and they upgrade to the newer system when it is available to them.

My wife has a Xiaomi, and she rarely gets any updates (or so she tells me 🤣).

A minimum I would suggest is 4GB Memory and 64GB Storage, however if you can stretch to 6 and 64, or even 6 and 128, then the higher these two figures are the easier the system runs.

I would add about Pixel phones, they are relatively expensive, and it sounds to me as though, from what you say, you do not need to go to that expense.

Some Samsung stuff is not as good as might be expected, some of their parts can be quite basic/fragile.

Edited by crabtree

Crabtree, thanks for the further explanations.

Yes, I can definitely see the attractions of a Nokia that you speak about.  I think I still have a Nokia mobile from the early years of this century.  Haven't looked at it for a while but I daresay it still works and might even have some credit left in it from Tesco😂

And then I was delighted when the ring tone became famous and people were humming it, playing it on their violins, etc.  What a nice innocent age that was!  Now they have to have the latest model of everything and they even cue up overnight to buy whatever is the latest.

Actually, crabtree, I am not sure that being able to afford the very best and latest is good for your "mental health"...isn't that the latest buzz term and trendy medical condition to suffer from?

OK, will go phone hunting in a more targetted way.  Thanks again🙂

• Like 1

On 20/07/2023 at 20:59, menthe said:

Harnser, I WAS looking at a "samsung galaxy something or other" if only because it's a name I recognise!  Hmmm I'll wait a bit for other comments🙂

Lori, I looked up the One Plus Nord and it is apparently Chinese made.  Not that I think Chinese spies are looking at all my textos but maybe I'll keep looking a bit more!

OH is a smartphone addict and when I ask her to answer mine she cannot make any more sense of it than I can.

I will say it's got a brilliant camera - unless you want to take a picture in bright sunlight, then you can't see the screen to see what picture you are taking.

On 20/07/2023 at 20:59, menthe said:

I hate telephones and hardly ever use them. Unfortunately the world won't let me live without one! I have a Samsung galaxy and it is absolutely perfect for the little use I do with it. Some banking, confirmation of purchases, camera etc. I t even makes and receives phone calls!!!

Thanks, Harnser and Ken.  I appreciate greatly your comments and I even agree wholeheartedly with them🙂

I have an ancient Samsung, not a "smart" at all.  Can ring out and receive messages, both vocal and written.  So does most things I need.  Confirm doctor's appointments (those on doctolib) and even accept codes for this new-style "double verification" demanded by banks, etc.

Like Ken, I am known for my phonephobia and all my close friends and family know it.  However, with all the recent trend for more and more organisations, both public and private, to "flash the QR code" plus the need to identify yourself on your phone, I believe it's time to bow to the inevitable.

I was for going for "top of the range" but now am considering earlier models.

Menthe,

I don't believe there is any need of a top of the range model.  I haven't said anything so far becasue I am entitely MAC based so it would not have been helpful, but I still  have my original iphone from about 2014, which does most of what I would need, but cannot be udpated any more, and did show signs of not working any more, though it has so far continued to do so it is hardly now used, but I did buy a newer model during the lockdown, and it is already superceded by a newer model, which I have quietly ignored.  So find a phone which does what you want, and as  long as you can update it (for security more than anything else), there is no reason why an older model would not serve you perfectly, and it will also cost a lot less than a new one ..

Yes, Judith.  I have come to the same conclusion and have also decided that I will buy from Amazon even though they might not be the cheapest.

It's being able to return it if I don't like or can't get on with it that features most in my decision.

Now please tell me which service provider you use and which is the most efficient and, hopefully, is not the most costly?

Thank you, both.  I'd no idea it could be so economical.

Cajal, I don't think I'd go really, really basic with the phone.  But I do have my eye on a second hand Samsung on Amazon.

Crabtree, that site has been a real eye-opener.  I like the idea of no contract PLUS being able to keep your existing number!

I'd never have known or been able to find out those things for myself.  Just too many things to do everyday that takes far too long.

Doesn't sound fair does it, the older you get the longer you take to do things and the shorter the time you have left to do them?😕

• Like 1

Menthe, I'm with Orange, partly because we all Orange for Internet and TV too, so makes it easier, and I got a good deal by perservering.  I still have an old sim card from Le Clerc PAYG, now in a phone (not a smart phone) which I gave to OH, but he never uses it .. If you have good coverage go with the best, or widest in your area.  We ave friends on SFR, they do get some problems .. and I know other providers can be problematic too.  But not always, and even orange does have its problems, but on the whole rarely, and they are pretty good a responding too ..

20 hours ago, menthe said:

It's being able to return it if I don't like or can't get on with it that features most in my decision.

Thanks to people like you, there is a thriving "Seconde Main" section on Amazon.  If you do find the phone you want on Amazon, check the "Autres vendeurs sur Amazon" box, often below the section with the pannier etc.  If you buy from Amazon itself (not the other sellers) you get the same conditions for returns etc (and Prime advantages if you have that too).  We have bought quite a bit of tech stuff that way and only had one duff purchase, a computer screen that had a line across it - sent it straight back.

12 hours ago, Judith said:

Menthe, I'm with Orange, partly because we all Orange for Internet and TV too, so makes it easier, and I got a good deal by perservering.  I still have an old sim card from Le Clerc PAYG, now in a phone (not a smart phone) which I gave to OH, but he never uses it .. If you have good coverage go with the best, or widest in your area.  We ave friends on SFR, they do get some problems .. and I know other providers can be problematic too.  But not always, and even orange does have its problems, but on the whole rarely, and they are pretty good a responding too ..

Don't forget Orange's cheaper option - Sosh, everything is Orange (Mobile and Internet) but much cheaper. Been with them for over 10 years now, recommend them without hesitation. One point to bear in mind everything is online, so there is no help available in the Orange shops if you prefer to go into them.

Firstly renewed thanks for all the added advice and suggestions.

crabtree, I have PM'd you and I am already with Sosh but I only get about 2GO at the moment and I pay the same amount as some of the other sites you provided.

Lehaut, that is new info to me....thanks!  Didn't realise that if you used "autre vendeurs" on Amazon, provided it is sent by Amazon, you got the same benefits for returns.

So is it free returns as well as returns with virtually no conditions attached?