Titanic

anotherbanana

On 19/06/2023 at 20:56, DraytonBoy said:

It's a difficult one, should people be allowed to take selfies at Auschwitz?

Unless you or your family had relatives who did not survive Auschwitz my opinion is that you should not be permitted to gawp and take pictures at any site like that. Likewise the Titanic - it is after all a marine grave site for those that died.

• Like 1

I don't know why people would even want to "go and gawp".....it was a tragedy after all.

One other thought sprang to mind (and those that disagree, could you do so without vitriol?) and that is the difference between all the resources and international efforts expended on these 5 people which seems in complete disproportion to the couple of border forces boats sent out to the boat migrants.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is no difference between Titanic and any other grave site. It's in the minds of those who think there is a difference. How about the mummified  bodies of  Egyptian Kings, should they be on show? It's the soft world we live in. If people want to respect certain grave sites then let them. To think though, one is more important than another is ridiculous. 

On 23/06/2023 at 11:47, menthe said:

One other thought sprang to mind (and those that disagree, could you do so without vitriol?) and that is the difference between all the resources and international efforts expended on these 5 people which seems in complete disproportion to the couple of border forces boats sent out to the boat migrants.

Money is the only difference.  Many people watch dangerous sports and follow celebrities not so much for the entertainment value but to relish it when things go wrong, the more spectacular the better.  The chattering classes don't care much for billionaires, so when things go spectacularly wrong, they love it.  It sells papers, gets clicks on monetarised sites.  Dozens of YouTube videos on the subject by numerous "experts" have sprung up - all with the aim of making money for the content providers, advertises and data gathers.

Equally rich people can bring pressure on other organisations to do all they can to save other members of the 1% club.

Migrants - who cares?

20 hours ago, menthe said:

Still, it makes me sad......

Me too. What makes me sadder is the chairman of Shell defending increased exploitation of fossil fuels so "poor people don't suffer" when the world highest temperature was beaten 4 days in a row.  Millions will suffer on the alter of corporate greed knowing full well they are making the situation worse day by day.

Us - nobody cares

The bottom line - 1% care