Is France becoming more violent?

Ken

Two very recent violent occurrences involving children throws the spotlight on violence in a terrible way. Marseille, I have given up on anyway, the drugs situation puts that city way out of control and it has been for many years; it's sort of accepted! Maybe it's my imagination, though I don't think so, but there does appear to be more and violence occurring all over France. Riots are almost commonplace now with associated violence but it is the 'isolated' incidents that appear to occur with more and more unsettling frequency that is concerning. 

My feeling is that it is becoming a more violent country and if so why? I do have an opinion of course as no doubt most have, and no it isn't that I think it is down to immigration as the two recent attacks on children may have highlighted. My view is that society , in general, has become excessively tolerant with regards discipline within the family and discipline exerted by the state being lax. That , primarily, I believe are the two prime reasons. What will it take to change? 

Yes, France has become a very violent and dangerous country. A point I made a few years back but now it has just gone mad.

France is most definitely more violent than the UK. Especially for women….or gays.

I am sure I heard on the TV the other day that there are 700 stabbings a week in France ? That cant be right ? But it would not surprise me.

2 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

I am sure I heard on the TV the other day that there are 700 stabbings a week in France ? That cant be right ? But it would not surprise me.

Le Figaro calculated "more than 120 attacks per day" so yes, 700 per week actually sounds slightly low.  In the UK, knife attacks are calculated at around 800 per week (House of commons paper https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn04304/ ). Emergency services say that knife attacks are more and more common now.

Thank you, betise, for researching and finding the numbers and being able to quote your sources.

I wanted to say that everywhere it is getting more violent and I have also vaguely registered knife stabbings in the UK.  But, unlike you, I have neither the time nor the inclination to find sources and so I didn't say anything.

Plus the people who are always complaining about others on the forum making comparisons between UK and France, are the very ones who are the worst culprits in doing this.

Cheers, betise....

The few observations regarding violence in France, or generally, have said whatever, but none of them venture why! I have given my opinion so why so why not say what is your opinion as to why? Could it be that the way the liberal movement  agrees with you and that conflicts with reality? You can't have it both ways despite wanting it that way!!

1 hour ago, Ken said:

Could it be that the way the liberal movement  agrees with you and that conflicts with reality? You can't have it both ways despite wanting it that way!!

I'm not sure who that is aimed at, nor what you are trying to say?

11 hours ago, betise said:

11 hours ago, betise said:

I'll make it very clear then, despite Lister's childish dig, You don't offer a reason (in your opinion) and neither does anyone else for the apparent increase in lawlessness. I have said I believe it is because of poor parenting and a lack of action, because of liberal views, by the authorities. Is that clear enough?

It's not just France, I think this is a worldwide problem. Over the last couple of decades the 'value of life' has diminished to such an extent that killing someone resulting in possible life imprisonment is no longer seen as something that only harden criminals would contemplate so it's now not unusual to see anyone commit murder often with very little provocation. I do believe though that gang violence is out of control in many cities and this has greatly increased the volume of violent crimes that we're seeing here and elsewhere.

I put it all down to social media and the internet. In fact I put the worlds problems down to social media and the internet. The internet is humanity’s most shītiest invention.

It’s polluting peoples brains. Especially childrens and young adults.

They know nothing différent and they will never know how life was so much better before.

Off topic….but the same sort of thing. I bought my 16 year old a record player and a few records (she loves her music) just to prove to her how vinyl music can sound so much better than spotify through some airpods. She was blown away. Which makes me very happy.

Life in France was great in the 90´s. Today, not so much.

Edited by alittlebitfrench
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

I put it all down to social media and the internet. In fact I put the worlds problems down to social media and the internet. The internet is humanity’s most shītiest invention.

It’s polluting peoples brains. Especially childrens and young adults.

They know nothing différent and they will never know how life was so much better before.

Off topic….but the same sort of thing. I bought my 16 year old a record player and a few records (she loves her music) just to prove to her how vinyl music can sound so much better than spotify through some airpods. She was blown away. Which makes me very happy.

Life in France was great in the 90´s. Today, not so much.

What you are doing is blaming someone, or something else! You raise your children, no one else! If they turn out to be dross you have to bear the responsibility; no one else. Blaming the internet is stupid.

39 minutes ago, Ken said:

What you are doing is blaming someone, or something else! You raise your children, no one else! If they turn out to be dross you have to bear the responsibility; no one else. Blaming the internet is stupid.

I would tame in your mouth my friend.

Btw…you have just proved my case. 

🙂

We have four children all very close in age (less than six years between youngest and oldest) who were brought up to show respect to everything and everybody, now as adults in their late 20's/early 30's they all have different takes on life which sometimes differs from how they were raised. When they behave inappropriately is that really our fault and if so what the **** can we do about it?

There comes a time when parenting/ up bringing becomes less relevant,responsibility for a teenager at 16 17 ,is very different to responsibility for an adult of 26 27 with their own relationships often raising their own families 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

I would tame in your mouth my friend.

Btw…you have just proved my case. 

🙂

Today's typical parent. You have just proved my point! I don't know you or your children and I was speaking generally. Though you have taken it personally. Even so you absolve yourself by definition by blaming the internet. Always something, or someone else to blame.

11 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

We have four children all very close in age (less than six years between youngest and oldest) who were brought up to show respect to everything and everybody, now as adults in their late 20's/early 30's they all have different takes on life which sometimes differs from how they were raised. When they behave inappropriately is that really our fault and if so what the **** can we do about it?

I don't think we are talking about 'inappropriate' behaviour; We are talking about bad and violent behaviour. Youngsters in their teens, even younger, carrying knives and being part of the gun and drug culture. Certainly there are other violent crazies out there in there 20s but they have been involved since they were teenagers and young children. And you say "what the **** can we do about it"? I doubt very much that you let your children carry knives etc and I doubt they do now! If I'm right and they don't then that is 'what the *** ' you did do about it!

2 hours ago, Ken said:

Today's typical parent. You have just proved my point! I don't know you or your children and I was speaking generally. Though you have taken it personally. Even so you absolve yourself by definition by blaming the internet. Always something, or someone else to blame.

I have taken nothing personally I was just showing you how people can get upset so easily online.

Anyway you missed my point about the internet.

Personally I think life was a whole lot better without it.

Yes the internet does fuel crime, aggression, drugs, guns, murder…..or whatever. Social media is poisonous for kids. How many kids comitt suicide each day by using it ?

And just as importantly, all the tech we need to buy to use it is killing the planet.

So yeah, the world should rewind back to the 90’s or 80’s before it is too late.

We don’t need to all be conected. A simple telephone was good enough.

4 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

I have taken nothing personally I was just showing you how people can get upset so easily online.

Anyway you missed my point about the internet.

Personally I think life was a whole lot better without it.

Yes the internet does fuel crime, aggression, drugs, guns, murder…..or whatever. Social media is poisonous for kids. How many kids comitt suicide each day by using it ?

And just as importantly, all the tech we need to buy to use it is killing the planet.

So yeah, the world should rewind back to the 90’s or 80’s before it is too late.

We don’t need to all be conected. A simple telephone was good enough.

Of course you were just showing how people get upset, you did it very well!! I didn't miss your point, you have made it perfectly clear.  You believe, and as it happens so do I , that the internet and other media sources fuel violent crime. The bottom line though is that parents are, or should be, responsible for what their youngsters do.  Many parents in this modern world are abjectly moronic in believing their kids are perfect. Discipline! What's that? In fact they give children iPads and computers so that they keep quiet!!! Once an adolescent matures into an adult then it's too late. Whatever bad behaviour they got away with passes on to their offspring.

As for the 'Tollpuddle martyrs' comment: Sorry but we can't change what has happened or been invented. We can though, if we can be bothered,  manage it all better! I standby completely with what I said. Parents are mainly responsible for violent crime. Secondly; the State is pathetic when its comes to punishment.