No more throw away fast food packaging (in theory)

Lehaut

"Depuis le 1er janvier, les établissements de restauration rapide doivent servir les repas à table dans de la vaisselle lavable et réutilisable. Une mesure qui oblige les fast-foods à revoir leur organisation."

So in theory when (if) you eat at Mc Do, your food should arrive in washable containers now, not throw away ones.  This means that those type of eateries have to invest in a dish hasher and operator.

Sometimes called a "plonger" in France, this was the only job the "Pole emploi" could offer me during the Sarkozy health debacle of many years ago.  When describing my 25 years Naval service, which included running diving teams (plongers) in ships and submarines, this was only the word the interviewer latched on to.  No other diploma, no other job!

• Haha 1

I can't say that I'm enthusiastic about eating from reusable plastic utensils that have been eaten off, sneezed on, mauled about by sweaty hands and then put through a dishwasher.

Was it hot enough? Did somebody remember to add the detergent? etc etc. 

Plastic will get scratched, how many journeys will these reuseables be doing?

The big plus point with Mac D's was that it was CLEAN.

Not that we are in the habit of eating/drinking at maccy doos, the last time was probably 5 years ago for a coffee and a sticky bun.

11 hours ago, Harnser said:

I can't say that I'm enthusiastic about eating from reusable plastic utensils that have been eaten off, sneezed on, mauled about by sweaty hands and then put through a dishwasher.

Was it hot enough? Did somebody remember to add the detergent? etc etc. 

Plastic will get scratched, how many journeys will these reuseables be doing?

The big plus point with Mac D's was that it was CLEAN.

Not that we are in the habit of eating/drinking at maccy doos, the last time was probably 5 years ago for a coffee and a sticky bun.

Apparently a problem has already surfaced! People are pinching them!!! I agree about the plastic, scratches etc but it wouldn't put me off. Like you I can't remember the last time I was in a place like that but a hamburger is certainly nice! Perhaps the answer is china containers for the chips etc, even more 'nickable' though!!

Having eaten, for the first time, at an acquaintance's house a few years ago, we were somewhat horrified to see him put his plate on he floor for the cats to lick clean when he had finished his meal!  We only hoped he washed it before returning it to the cupboard.  I think the less we know how individuals judge cleanliness the better. 

Having worked the dishwasher in the salle de fête in our village for the old folks lunch I have more confidence in the commercial cleaning :).

21 minutes ago, Lehaut said:

Having eaten, for the first time, at an acquaintance's house a few years ago, we were somewhat horrified to see him put his plate on he floor for the cats to lick clean when he had finished his meal!  We only hoped he washed it before returning it to the cupboard.

We have friends with kitties too.  They allow them to walk all over the kitchen counters (even while preparing a meal), dining tables (even while eating a meal), etc., though I'm not sure how you'd stop them, short of perhaps putting them in another room while serving.  It always seems grossly dirty to me.  Their feet walk in the litter box too. 

I have little faith in restaurant cleanliness either.  Seen too much.

• Like 1

Cats can be taught, just like any other animal. I've always had cats and they were taught from an early age that the kitchen counters and the dining table were no go areas. On occasions we would share meals ( fruit de mer ). The cats bowl would be put next to my chair and food dropped into it. If they attempted to jump up they would be taken out of the dining room. They very soon learnt that, if they wanted a prawn, they had to behave.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, anotherbanana said:

Cats might well be easier to teach than some kids I have seen!

It's because owners will go to the trouble of training cats. Many parents simply don't bother to teach their children even basic manners. 

• 8 months later...

There is a throwaway question that has been puzzling me for weeks.  It's about smartphones and their security updates.  Can I just ask:  if after 4 years or whatever and there are no more security updates, do you then have to throw away your phones?

I ask because I am thinking of all the phones that must be having to be thrown away?😳  Where does all this equipment end up?  I myself have a computer and probably a couple of dumb phones to dispose of and haven't as yet found out what to do with them.

As for reusable plastic "couverts", you just know that has to come.  As for people stealing, there is just so much greed around, it's unbelievable.

I think a lot of say phones are in peoples drawers or cupboards Some people sell them on auction sites, I have two ipads that are now too old to be updated, can't load any apps but I use one for emails etc. Might see about jailbreaking the other one to see how it goes.

Still use my laptop that runs Win7 it works ok so why spend money to get the latest one. My desktop computer runs Win7 I have no desire to replace it.

My phone at the moment can be updated but when the time comes it won't update I will still be using it, after all I just use it to make and receive calls as they were intended.

3 hours ago, dept71 said:

Still use my laptop that runs Win7 it works ok so why spend money to get the latest one. My desktop computer runs Win7 I have no desire to replace it.

Support and security for all versions, prior to win 10, ceased in January.

However, all is not lost. If your versions of win 7 are not 'snide copies' and are kosher, it is still possible to upgrade and claim a digital licence for free.

Worth considering.

Cajal. Thanks for the reply. I knew about the update to Win10 for free , never have been a fan of Win10. Anyway in another year or so even Win10 updates will stop, If I had a bottomless pit of money I would maybe get a new computer. At the moment I wont be able to update to Win 11  anyway due to them needed a specific chip in the computer that I don;t have.