Banks: Bad for the Blood Pressure

Gardian

I'm going to have to double-up on the blood pressure pills for the next few days.

Our Belgian neighbours have just returned home after their Summer hols down here. There are a few bits and pieces for the local builder to do and Dominique left me a €500 note to settle up with. It's been burning a hole in my pocket for a couple of days and since the builder might not turn up for weeks or even months, I thought that I'd pay it in to my bank account for safety.

We bank with CA Normandie (Britline), but I went in to the local big town branch of CA. Took a RIB with me, so no potential confusion over the a/c to credit.

Queue to get to the first available cashier.  "I'd like to pay this in to this account please."

Lots of key-tapping in to the keyboard. Furrowed brow. "Do you have an account at this branch?"   "Errr, no."  Long intake of breath through clenched teeth (can you clench teeth?)

Off to consult with more knowledgable colleague: returns after 2-3 mins. All seems OK.

More interminable key-tapping.  "Piece d'Identite svp".  "Well, no. I'm only trying to pay in €500, not withdraw €5000 !  Attempt at irony completely lost and counter-productive.  More key-tapping.  "The computer says No. I must have a Piece d'Identite.  Sinking feeling: tell callow youth that my wife is outside and I'll go and fetch my passport.  Literally fight my way through spaceship double doors for the 2nd time, then 10 secs later back again through same doors. Someone else has taken my place, but it only takes 5 minutes (4 mins 30 secs longer than necessary) for him to be served with his cheque withdrawal.

Interminable key-tapping again to enter every piece of information about me that appears on my passport. By now, head resting sideways on counter, eyes lolling lifelessly in their sockets.  And then it was over: sign this piece of paper, fight my way out again from spaceship.

I think that all British banks are great: I always did.  If ever I did once call them useless *ankers, I was mistaken.      

So, customer in front of you (second time around) did a cheque withdrawl. If that equates to cashing a cheque that's a darn sight more than you can do in our local CA.

No cash in the branch except for the cash machine as it's safer for the staff that way.

Customers............who needs 'em?

Benjamin

***If that equates to cashing a cheque that's a darn sight more than you can do in our local CA.***

In our bank you don't even need to use your cheque book - just give your account number and sign a piece of paper and away you go. This is especially useful if you need quite a bit of cash for something but do not want the cash in large notes (as usually delivered by the machine) - as the cashier always asks how we want the cash.[:D]

Sue

went into C.A to pay some money in for my sister and they asked for my passport, as luck I had it with me, I think it is over the top, I was paying in 250 euros, I hardly think this is the transactions of terrorists, especially into an account that quite clearly is run for the upkeep of a small house.Whilst I understand we have to be vigilant, I think that the request was well over the top for the amount involved.In the U.K. we do not even look at a transaction under £45oo.oo.If we worked at the pace of the french banks we would not exist, I know it is great to work at there pace, and yes it would be a breath of fresh air but how do they make a profit, it baffles me!!!!!

***If we worked at the pace of the french banks we would not exist, I know it is great to work at there pace, and yes it would be a breath of fresh air but how do they make a profit, it baffles me!!!!! ***

They make their profit by charging you a monthly fee for looking after your money for you and letting you have access to it - occasionally, within limits .[8-)]

Sue

[quote user="verviale"] went into C.A to pay some money in for my sister and they asked for my passport, as luck I had it with me, I think it is over the top, I was paying in 250 euros, I hardly think this is the transactions of terrorists, especially into an account that quite clearly is run for the upkeep of a small house.Whilst I understand we have to be vigilant, I think that the request was well over the top for the amount involved.In the U.K. we do not even look at a transaction under £45oo.oo.If we worked at the pace of the french banks we would not exist, I know it is great to work at there pace, and yes it would be a breath of fresh air but how do they make a profit, it baffles me!!!!![/quote]

May I ask do you know for sure the reason the banks here ask for ID is because they are safe guarding against terrorists?

What I don't undersand is why folk complain about French banks, red tape etc.  This is not the UK so why should it have to be like it.  This is France and if you don't like the way its run you can always move back.

I too bank with CA and they have been nothing but helpful.  Our mortgage was confirmed within a week, and was dealt with efficiently.

Once when our mortgage was due and our funds were late going into the account, they only took amount available in the account, then I telephoned them and they arranged an immediate overdraft.

Perhaps your experiances are the exception rather than the rule.

France has a thriving black economy, thanks to the high charges imposed on businesses and the amount of bureaucracy involved.

The official French financial system (which includes banks) treats cash transactions with a great deal of suspicion.

I wonder if these two facts might be related?

I do agree with what Dotty says, and although French banking would disgrace many a third world country, that's the way it is. Most people chose to come to France, so a degree of acceptance and tolerance is required. If forums like this are to be believed than the majority are in France for a less stressful life. If French life gets to you that much, then maybe an appointment with your life coach is needed?

I have been asked twice for my passport when paying in to an account at CA,but never have at Credit Lyonais,I only guessed it must be to do with money laundering , but I may be wrong.Am always happy to wait whilst they mull over the weather ect with the person in front of you, I guess it is how the u.k. used to be and I am on holiday when I am in France and have all the time in the world.Out of interest does anyone know if the banks in France make huge profits as I was on the understanding Credit Lyonais was propped up by the french goverment and rescued by them at one time.I like the service I get from Credit Lyonais,but was suprised when they did not know how to deal with American Express euro travellers cheques, I had to go back the next day,so it gave them time to find out.It is that sort of thing that can be a bit frustrating sometimes.

[quote user="Dotty Trois"]

What I don't undersand is why folk complain about French banks, red tape etc.  This is not the UK so why should it have to be like it.  This is France and if you don't like the way its run you can always move back.

I too bank with CA and they have been nothing but helpful.  Our mortgage was confirmed within a week, and was dealt with efficiently.

[/quote]

Sorry Dotty, this is the 21st century and banks, whether in France or the UK, don't need to be as hopeless as this.

I accept entirely (and entirely enjoy) the different style & culture that exists here.  However, this is nothing to do with style and culture, this is straightforward business with a major bank that is set up to deal with electronic transactions more or less instantly. Not two days ago, a cheque I wrote in a supermarket at 15.30, hit my account overnight. The credit that I described, didn't.

Now, I'm not naive enough to not understand why.  It happens just the same in the UK.

But the frustrating experience I described was unnecessary.  It was down to an inexperienced cashier, pedantic procedures and an unwillingness by all banks to provide the instant credit / debit of funds which technology has allowed for years.

I too, have been more than happy with CA re telephone contact over 'account hiccups'. But this experience was daft and unprofessional: a similar one over trying to cash a cheque for €250 was similarly taxing.

Anyone got a phone no for a Life Counsellor?  (I'll drop it in to the CA Bank Mgr at Uzes next time I'm passing)     

[quote user="SaligoBay"][quote user="Dotty Trois"]

This is France and if you don't like the way its run you can always move back.

[/quote]

Beh, oui.   La France - aimez-la ou quittez-la.

So simple, so true.

But don't forget, boys and girls, that this is one of the Front National's slogans.   [6]  

[/quote]

An interesting little logical inconsistancy, surely? The FN do not like la belle France as she is today, ergo

they should bugger off elsewhere. Myself, I think that it would do them

good to have a little holiday in, say, Libya. Work out some of their

anger in the clear desert air, preferably some distance from any water

supplies. Or that "whites only" town in South Africa -

Kaffirverbiedenstaadt or whatever its called

[quote user="Ian Horn"][quote user="Dotty Trois"]

[/quote]

Sorry Dotty, this is the 21st century and banks, whether in France or the UK, don't need to be as hopeless as this.

I accept entirely (and entirely enjoy) the different style & culture that exists here.  However, this is nothing to do with style and culture, this is straightforward business with a major bank that is set up to deal with electronic transactions more or less instantly. Not two days ago, a cheque I wrote in a supermarket at 15.30, hit my account overnight. The credit that I described, didn't.

Now, I'm not naive enough to not understand why.  It happens just the same in the UK.

But the frustrating experience I described was unnecessary.  It was down to an inexperienced cashier, pedantic procedures and an unwillingness by all banks to provide the instant credit / debit of funds which technology has allowed for years.

I too, have been more than happy with CA re telephone contact over 'account hiccups'. But this experience was daft and unprofessional: a similar one over trying to cash a cheque for €250 was similarly taxing.

Anyone got a phone no for a Life Counsellor?  (I'll drop it in to the CA Bank Mgr at Uzes next time I'm passing)     

[/quote]

Ian

I sympathise with your frustration, but by your own admission it may be due to the cashier rather than the bank itself. As I said before, I have had all but a good service from CA.

Dotty

We asked at our branch of Caisse d'Epargne how much they would charge to receive and enchange funds from our Brit bank, after some thought the Manager said we would probably be better off flying Ryanair, withdrawing the cash and going to the Exchange office in Spain!  the amout was roughly £25.000[blink]

Could you imagine having your bag searched at stanstead, and if you got that far slapping that amount on the counter and asking for a bag of Euros, If you wern't rear ended on the motorway back you would then have to buypass the cashier at the local bank.

We used our brains and Moneycorp instead, oh and the transfer went to CA , cannot remember the charge but it was next to nothing.

I am sure people on the forum will have had bad experiences with Credit Lyonais,but they do not charge me anything for receiving funds from LloydsTsb in the U.K. we would charge betwen 8 and 12 pounds in the U.K for receiving funds from any foreign bank so I feel I am getting a great service, even though they did not know what to do with amexco euro travellers cheques.I only pay a charge for my cashpoint card.

[quote user="Dotty Trois"]

[/quote]

Dotty, your words of wisdom are needed over on another forum right now.....

http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18448

Interesting.

I know its the 21st century and we should be able to spend/credit/debit our accounts as and when we please, but sadly along with the 21st century comes fraud, thieving, cloning, robbing, call it what you like.

My guess and its only a guess is the banks have to cover themselves for situations like these.  My sister in law had her card cloned a year or so ago and it caused her a lot of problems, she couldn't even pay for a couple of pints of milk and some bread as the thieving !*))$%^ had wiped her account out.

If you don't like the way the banks 'look after' your money then use cash.

Round here, you can't take out any cash.  Same as Benjamin, that is the first thing I thought of when I read the op.  It is absolutely amazing to me that it is 2006, I'm in MY bank branch, it is MY money and I can't take any of it.  Tellers don't handle cash either, must be put in an evelope and deposited in some ridiculous looking metal box.  You fill out the form, you pop it in the machine.  Those guys with the funny trucks pick it up and HOPEFULLY, it makes it to "someone" who deposits it in my account.  Our macon had 5000 euros cash go missing for 3 months on one of these "deposits."   As most who know me on here know, I am not a fan of French banks.  I have had some good experiences, thank God, but the bad and completely nutty ones outnumber the good.

Still, thats life and I wouldn't trade my life here for anything !  Theres silly rules everywhere.

I've been with C/L now for 18 yrs. and have never had a bad experience;as to t/cheques at one time they credited them to me at the branch-now,they give me a receipt for them and a couple of days later I get a letter from the area office showing them credited to my account.

[quote user="Jc"]I've been with C/L now for 18 yrs. and have never had a bad experience;as to t/cheques at one time they credited them to me at the branch-now,they give me a receipt for them and a couple of days later I get a letter from the area office showing them credited to my account.[/quote]

Have you ever posted T/cheques to your branch, signed in both places out of interest?

For the record, the credit hit our a/c 2 working days later, which is fine and more or less exactly as it should be - though instaneous would be preferable and in-keeping with the technology of 2006.

Q. Why, why, why, do the banks (whether in France or the UK, or for all I know, anywhere in the world) annoy us all so much?

A. Our higher expectations /  requirements (there just doesn't seem to be anybody who has the authority to fix things any longer), coupled with an intransigence from them (the supplier) which would see them out of business if they were doing anything else. 

Many helpful and efficient employees, but hamstrung by the system.  I could write a book, but it's not a new idea!