FOOTBALL'S COMING HOME! we hope

Just Katie

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Cassis"][quote user="Miki"]

I never ever thought running England was much more than a nice earner for him to be honest. And his successor being given the job, is just  another Graham Taylor in my opinion.

[/quote]

But without the warmth, charisma and charm.
[/quote]

None of this matters if they win. And if they don't, the FA will fumble around to find another loser as a replacement.

John

not

This is tunring out already to be a great finals.

Yet to see a bad team, even Tonga and Ghana looked pretty aware tactically.

At this stage, Argentina and Italy have looked very good.

My bet has been on Germany and Brazil but those other two, now look

very adept I must say. Lots more teams still to enter the

arena.....lovely jubbly !

Has the World Cup started?!! 

I've spent the last 5 bl**dy days in bed with the flu [+o(] - been waiting for the last four years for the darn thing to start & have so far slept through most of the matches.  [:(]   Hoping that now I'm feeling a wee bit better I should manage to see Brazil, this evening.

Lifes not fair!!!

Hope you are feeling better Ali. [:)]

I felt quite sorry for Togo, I only caught bits of the commentary but from what I could make out they have had a rather trying run up to the World Cup, then their opponents Anthem was  repeated instead of Togo's anthem being played.

They had a good first half but Korea came back in the second ............

Not only that but as the officials had decided to close the roof of the stadium, they must have felt as if they were in a pressure cooker.

Sorry to see Togo lost.  I've been to Togo (about 1991) but never to Korea.  I recall nice people, very poor outside the capital Lomé, corrupt government (effectively a military dictatorship at the time), riots, interviewers kidnapped, barricaded in hotel.  One of my more successful trips to West Africa.

Only just caught up with this thread [:$]

HughMandy said: - "I also hail from lowland Scotland, 100 miles from border, close but not too close."

Hardly a Scot at all then!![;-)]

Re the games so far - no-one has really set the championship alight yet have they?

Well i feel 100 per cent scottish, maybe not enough to be classed as a teuchter but tartan blooded through and through, hoots mon. [;-)]

Methinks the Argies look immensely strong, Ivory Coast too. Brazil tonight ( last night) were pretty poor, ronaldo was a bit off, ninja turtles cant play footie. Croatia could cause a few problems if they get through, great fun innit, Scota Wha Hae

Sorry I'm not managing the "quote" facility very well, so here is what Dick Smith wrote many postings ago (ok so I’m a slow reader):

."

North Britain.

I was making an oblique reference to the period after the Highland Clearances, when the clans and the tartans were suppressed and the name 'Scotland' was expunged from the map, at pain of prison, and replaced with 'North Britain'. For some time after the phrase was used by the more effete of London society, which I was ironically copying. Hence, 'North British' = 'Scottish'. At Waterloo the Scots Greys were known as the North British Dragoons, in order to deny their Scots provenance. It is only done now by people who are making jokes.

. " (End of quotation)

Now I’m all for a bit of anglo-scottish rivalry/banter/winding-up but let’s at least keep it tolerably accurate.

The wearing of Highland dress was proscribed in the Dress Act of 1746 following the Jacobite Rebellion not the Clearances which came a bit later. It was part of a vicious repression of the Highlands and destruction of the clan system at this time to ensure no further Jacobite threats to the Hanoverian throne. The Jacobite uprising of 1745 was no simple England v Scotland affair: the Government order of battle at Culloden included The Royal Scots Regiment of Foot and the Royal Scots Fusilier Regiment. This was a British civil war in which many parts of Scotland were staunchly Hanoverian and in which there were also English Jacobites. The subsequent repression was of the Highlands and the clans, not of Scotland as a whole. During the proscription, military tartans were exempt - as in the Black Watch (the first Highland regiment in the British Army, raised in 1729 to police the Highlands. That’s right, a Scottish regiment raised to control parts of Scotland.

The Dress Act was repealed in 1782. The Highland Clearances were post-1745 with large-scale emigration starting in the 1760s. But it was in the next century that some of the worst excesses of people being forcibly removed from their burning homes are seen. For instance, the infamous Patrick Selllars was at work in 1812 - 30 years after the repeal of the Dress Act.

During this period there was the threat to the UK from revolutionary and the Napoleonic France. Far from the Scots and tartans being suppressed, we see for example a new regiment raised at the government’s request by the Duke of Gordon to help meet this threat. In 1794, the Gordon Highlanders were formed and were clothed in .....that’s right a new tartan.

The “ Scots Greys” at Waterloo were officially the 2nd (Royal North British) Regiment of Dragoons, a name they were given in 1707 (which pre-dates both the Jacobite rebellions and the Clearances) . They were also acceptably known from the start by their unofficial nickname The Scots Greys which was eventually brought into the regiment’s official title the 2nd Dragoons (Royal Scots Greys) in 1877.

Also at Waterloo were the aforementioned Gordon Highlanders (should it not have been the Gordon North Britons in order to "deny their Scottish provenance"?) who famously caught hold of the stirrups of the Scots Greys and charged through a French division . They were clothed, yes in their Gordon tartan kilts. Oh and the Scots Guards were there as well, not the North British Guards.

Meanwhile, back home, Sir Walter Scott was scribbling away furiously to produce the Waverley Novels in which he romanticised and popularised the Scottish Highlands. He stage-managed the visit of George IV to Scotland in 1822 , an affair of much pomp and tartanry. The King himself wore an outrageous tartan outfit: if you want to know if a king wears anything under his kilt, the answer on this occasion was yes - pink tights would you believe. After that comes Victoria’s love affair with Scotland, but enough’s enough. Hardly a sign of expunging Scotland’s name from the map.

And where did that idea of expunging Scotland’s name from the map at pain of imprisonment come from? I’d be really interested in any historical sources for that one.

Let’s have the banter: call me a haggis-eater if you want - I’ll just throw haggises at you until you cry surrender! Let’s have good-humoured anglo-scottish slagging, but let’s not peddle wobbly history.

Aha, another wee dig, well then, just one more to go and i reckon it'll  be cos you managed to beat Sweden to first in group. Though that's not a certainty, however, (manic laughter starts ) i think thats the last part for Englandshire in the world cup 06. Seriously, they are not playing well and haven't met a force yet. I was amazed to see how much sweat there is coming from these guys when they play, apart from ze engleesh, stiff upper lip and all that, we are not going to work hard, we are England !!!!!!!!!!! When they meet a team that thinks they can beat them they will have to work then, plus side for you is the fact that rooney is back in team. More intelligent coach and a fit rooney and i think you would have a serious contender for championship, ha ha but you dont and you haven't, na na n' na na 

PS yehuvnaegoatachance, Scota Wha Hae

Irnbru, could'nt have said it better myself, seriously i could'nt have cos i didn't know that. Well done for putting dick straight tho i'm sure there will be some form of comeback after some serious swotting on Scottish history. I love this joke making dont you dick, tee hee.

Come on guys, a laugh is a laugh, watch Englandshire and you will know what i mean.

I've no problem with being corrected on historical points, especially as I was writing from memory. There's no need to be snide about it, though, Hugh. Oh look, I managed a capital letter for your name...

I'm not sure when the proscriptions ended - I've always assumed they just faded away around 1800, when there was a sudden and pressing need for all those fighting men. Yes, I know about the Gordon Highlanders, and in fact the Scots Greys were never called anything else for very long - I was using the 'official' title as the whole post was meant to be ironic and about the treatment of Scotland after the uprisings. I think the Scots Guards were the something or other Regiment of Foot at the time.

The whole question of expunging Scotland from the map is in the intention of the laws about dress, language and customs. It could never have worked, but then if the Hanoverians had been brighter we might still have America.

I love Scotch pies - but I'm not so keen on the chips!  I thought it was a brilliant ploy on England's part to keep everyone on tenterhooks until the last 10 minutes - I mean, if they had gone 2 up in the first 10 it would have been game over, wouldn't it?  Marvellous tactics to keep interest in the match alive!

[:D]

My dear Mr Smith i was not being snide, just having a JOKE, you must surely remember that remark. No intention to cause upset, here for the good life, Hugh.

PS on the snide subject, no need for a comma after the word ' it '  wind your neck in Dick it's all good fun. [:P]

PPS let's get back to the footie, more fun. KKK, i think you should do the next posting due to the fact that it is the 100 th on this subject.

Sorry, it's not KKK - but I just wondered if any other households are having a similar conversation, to ours, at the moment.

Husband - "Can we watch a film tonight instead of the football?"

Wife - "OK, if we must - but we're watching the 1st half during dinner."